Stay at Home Moms

Is this rude?

Just curious what you think.

Suppose you see a friend or acquaintance who has recently lost a bunch of weight.  You're talking to them and telling them how great they look etc.  Is it rude to ask "How much did you lose?"

You're not asking how much they did weigh, or how much they weigh now...just how much did they lose.

WDYT?

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!

Re: Is this rude?

• I don't think it is rude.  Not sure it is something I would ask, but hope they volunteer.  DH has lost weight over the years and his family is always asking how much he has lost.

He told his Mom, "I don't know, but less than my wife this year."

Of course, MIL said nothing to that.  Thanks.

• imageHav=Fath:

I saw an elderly man the other day that I used to work with before stopping working to stay home with Hadley and he said "Well good gosh, have you gained all your weight back?" and I said "No, you hateful old coot... I have not". Argh. 

Best comeback ever!

• Loading the player...
  • imageHav=Fath:

I lost 155 pounds in 2007 and people asked ALL.THE.TIME. It never bothered me at all when they asked... I was always SO happy that someone noticed and was bragging on me for it, I know that's lame but it is true. 

People would also ask frequently how much I'd lost... and keep asking questions like "What was your heaviest weight?" or "How much do you have left to lose, and where will that put you"?... I didn't like telling them my exact weight but people asked all.the.time.

I saw an elderly man the other day that I used to work with before stopping working to stay home with Hadley and he said "Well good gosh, have you gained all your weight back?" and I said "No, you hateful old coot... I have not". Argh. 

Wow, well that is jaw-droppingly rude - ew!

I was curious what others thought because I saw an acquaintance at a wedding this past weekend who probably lost about 40 if I had to guess, and I was telling her how great she looked, and almost asked how much she lost, but stopped myself because I wasn't sure if it was rude or not. 

• I have a double standard about this.  I wouldn't mind if someone asked me how much I'd lost but I'm not really comfortable asking someone else unless they are talking about their weigh loss in depth and it would almost be rude NOT to ask.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • No I lost 100 pounds and wA proud of my weight loss not rude at all.
  • ta78ta78 member
    I think most people who have lost a substantial amount of weight would like sharing their accomplishment. Getting into how much they weighed before or weigh now would be rude. I'd love to lose this extra 30lbs and tell everyone.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Color me rude! I was standing with a lady from my daughters class the other day, we were having a conversation and she was talking about her previous night and food/beer.  Said "ever since I lost so much weight, I'm a lightweight" so I said "Oh that's great! How much did you lose?" and she proudly told me 70 pounds.  I NEVER assumed I was being rude, I was honestly curious... mainly because I've lost 30 myself in the past 4 months.  People ask me all the time?  That particular question, when someone has lost, wouldn't make me bat a lash.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • ta78ta78 member

imageChapter79:
    Color me rude! I was standing with a lady from my daughters class the other day, we were having a conversation and she was talking about her previous night and food/beer.  Said "ever since I lost so much weight, I'm a lightweight" so I said "Oh that's great! How much did you lose?" and she proudly told me 70 pounds.  I NEVER assumed I was being rude, I was honestly curious... mainly because I've lost 30 myself in the past 4 months.  People ask me all the time?  That particular question, when someone has lost, wouldn't make me bat a lash.

I probably wouldn't think twice about asking someone either. It just seems part of the conversation when someone says they've lost weight.

Also. Congrats on your loss. 

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Rude in general, but v dependent on how close you are to them.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I think it is rude.  My MIL just asked me this last week and I didn't answer her.  I just told her that 'I don't know'.  I would rather just not say, even if they do think that I look great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageryry1977:
    I think it is rude.  My MIL just asked me this last week and I didn't answer her.  I just told her that 'I don't know'.  I would rather just not say, even if they do think that I look great.

I guess I'm just the complete opposite?

Because I've tried to lose weight for 788 years, I'm really proud that I'm actually doing it this time. I will tell anyone what I've lost, if they ask.  It just doesn't bother me at all.

E+C
    TTC
  • Another one for me that would be situational. If it was some one I ran into from HS or college that I didn't keep it touch with, I'd feel rude asking. If it was a family member or someone I was close to that I knew was losing the weight, I'd ask.
    January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • imageChapter79:
    Color me rude! I was standing with a lady from my daughters class the other day, we were having a conversation and she was talking about her previous night and food/beer.  Said "ever since I lost so much weight, I'm a lightweight" so I said "Oh that's great! How much did you lose?" and she proudly told me 70 pounds.  I NEVER assumed I was being rude, I was honestly curious... mainly because I've lost 30 myself in the past 4 months.  People ask me all the time?  That particular question, when someone has lost, wouldn't make me bat a lash.

30 lbs. in 4 months is awesome - congrats!

• imageAimeeL85:

imageChapter79:

30 lbs. in 4 months is awesome - congrats!

Thank you so much :)  Though I have to correct my own mistake- it's been 5 months. I completely forgot tomorrow is May, I lost a month somewhere. I started on January 1.

edited to add- maybe I need sleep. I guess that is 4 months. I'm going into the 5th. Whatever, haha.. thank you, however long it's been. I woke entirely too early.

E+C
    TTC
  • I would rather tell someone what I've lost than what I had gained lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"