Pregnant after 35

Asher Robert is here!

Hi all,

Sorry it's taken me a few days to post, but Asher Robert arrived last Wednesday at 2:35PM in the afternoon.  If you remember any of my earlier posts...yes that's 1 day before my scheduled c-section lol.  Here's what happened:

I woke up with a cramp in the wee hours of April 24th - probably around 4-5AM or so.  I thought to myself, hey that hurts - but it's probably just a BH.  I went back to sleep, only to be awoken again shortly later with another one, then another... they were getting more painful and around 6AM, I started to think this could be it!  So I took a shower and ate some breakfast, then by 8AM or so I was sure I was in labor, so I told DH: "There's some action happening, we need to get to the hospital!"  I called my doc who wanted to see me.  I told her that I really felt I needed to go to the hospital, but she thought there was no way I was in active labor yet, so she really wanted to see me.  I wasn't too happy about it but I went.  They got me right in, she checked my cervix and looked at me in surprise: "Do you know how far dilated you are?" "um...2-3cm maybe?" I said.  Nope - 7cm!  She was like, yeah you do need to get to the hospital.  Duh!  That's what I'd been telling her.  She asked if I still wanted to do a c section, and I said well since I'm already halfway there I might as well give the VBAC a try.  Up until then the contractions had not been too bad, but they got a lot worse by the time I got to the hospital (probably because I had entered into transition, one of those most painful stages of labor).  My doc had called ahead and so they had a room ready and got fluids started right away since I knew I wanted an epidural.  They drew some blood, and after a while the anesthesiologist came.  But they couldn't place the epidural yet, because they had to wait for some lab results!  By then I was moaning and groaning with the pain.  I had a good nurse who kept calling and telling them they needed the lab results right away, finally we got them and they could start the epi!.  Ugh...holding still for an epidural while in the throes of labor is not easy, let me tell you!  But I did it and we got it in, and about 20-30 minutes later things felt a lot better.

It wasn't too long before it was time to push.  Now since I was a VBAC and my daughter had turned the wrong way, which necessitated the c-section last time, they basically babysat me through the whole thing.  I had a doctor or midwife there the whole time, which is not the norm, so that was great!  The doctor told me that my pelvis is so wide that the baby had a lot of room to turn and move, which is probably why my daughter got stuck the wrong way.  For most women, the pelvis area is barely big enough and forces the baby into the right position.  So they stayed, and I was so glad I had the epidural because they constantly had one or more hands up in there trying to reposition him as he moved down.  I was worried I couldn't do it and that the same thing would happen again, but they assured me that they wouldn't let it happen again and that I could do it.  Even so, he wanted to come up sunny-side up and so I had some serious back labor going on before the epi kicked in!  Anyways, to make a long story short, right at the end he turned the right way and I was able to push him out!  He was 9 lbs. 4oz. and 21.5" long!  Because he was so big and he was my first vaginal delivery, I had a couple of tears which took them a while to repair (again thank God for the epi).  We came home on Friday and I was pretty sore and felt like I had been hit by a truck, but since then, my hooha has felt a little better each day.  I lost almost complete control of my bladder too.  :(  I think it's starting to come back, but I have a feeling it will be a while before I have full control. So, Poise pads for me for a while lol.  But - I did it!

Big sister Brynn is really sweet to him and wants to pat him all the time, help change him, hold a bottle for him, etc.  She's been acting up a little but it's not really much different from what she's been doing the last few months, so I'm not sure I can blame it on the baby.  I think the hardest part is due to how crappy I still feel (and how I feel like I cannot walk 2 feet without losing the contents of my bladder), I cannot do as much with/for her, and I think we both miss that.  I'm hoping I feel a lot better in a week or two and can get back to doing more stuff with her soon. Asher is doing great, he's a healthy big boy and a pretty good nurser too.  So far he has been a calm baby, but I won't make any judgements on his temperament for another couple of weeks!  Anyways just wanted to let you all know how things went and wish everyone else the best!

Melissa

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy

Re: Asher Robert is here!

• Congratulations!  Glad everything went well! I love his name too
  • Congrats! I'm glad you were able to have successful VBAC. And that your daughter is adjusting well.

My DD was 9lbs 5oz, delivered vaginally. I never lost full blader control, but I did leak urine for several weeks. There are excercises and even pelvic floor physical therapies if you need it, just let your Dr. know if things don't improve..

Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • QOTRQOTR member
    Congratulations!!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Congrats mama! Glad everything with the birth went so well and that you could do a VBAC. Csections are no joke and after mine, I hope anyone can avoid one if they can help it. Here's hoping your bladder gets back on track soon!
  • Congratulations!!! I love your name.  Congrats on a VBAC and glad that your daughter is adjusting well.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Congrats to you!!

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• (I'm a lurker)  Congrats!! Please share your story on Birth stories, I know I go there to read all the happy and not so happy stories along my ttc journey. Its so wonderful to read about the successes!!

Hope you feel better very soon and congrats!

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Glad to hear you are both doing well. Congratulations!
    About me:AMA 41 BFP 8/1/12 EDD 4/8/12 Found no Heartbeat 9/5/12 D&C 9/12/12

BFP 12/13/12 EDD 8/22/13 Lilah Ruby born 8/8/13

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/zdSMm7.png
  • Congratulations and thank you for sharing your birth story! Welcome to the world, Asher Robert!
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Congratulations, MAMA!!! And welcome to the world, little Asher!
    *********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Congrats on a healthy baby and a vbac!
    imageimage

TTC #1 since 5/10
    BFP #1 7/22/11 - EDD 4/2/11 - M/C 8/15/11 (7w0d)
    BFP #2 9/23/11 - EDD 6/5/12 ♥It's a Girl♥
    BFP #3 2/20/13 - EDD 11/2/13 ♥It's a Girl♥
  • Congratulations!!! Welcome Asher, I hope your both adjusting well!!
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• What a crazy story. I'm glad it ended well and congratulations on a successful VBAC and a big congrats to the new addition to the family. Good to hear you're all doing well...except for the bladder thing. But hey it's worth it right?

Have fun with your little man. 

• Congratulations!  Asher is a cool name.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • danuli8danuli8 member
    Congrats on your VBAC, Melissa, and welcome Asher!
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"