June 2013 Moms

Preeclampsia

So I just got back the results of my 24 hour urine test from last week, and based on that and my recent blood pressure readings, my doctor diagnosed me with mild preeclampsia. She is making me stop working immediately because she thinks that work might make my blood pressure worse, but not putting me on full bed rest because she says that would put me at higher risk for blood clots. So basically, I am allowed to move around, bed to couch to bathroom, and so on, but I am not supposed to exercise, clean the house, etc. I have to do the 24 hour urine test weekly now to monitor my protein level increases, go for weekly non stress tests starting next week, and monitor my blood pressure daily at home. They would like me to get to 37 weeks before inducing labor or having a C section, but if my blood pressure or protein levels get too high, I might have to go sooner. I am currently 31 weeks. I'm seriously stressing out and just felt the need to vent and maybe get some support. I plan on checking out the high risk board too as I know there may be more people with experience with this on there.

Re: Preeclampsia

• Try not to stress. I know that's hard but it will ny help your blood pressure any. I have no experience but I'm glad your OB was proactive and is monitoring you this early! Keep us updated!

CJ 05/29/2013

• Ugh, I'm so sorry. Hang in there. Get lots of good books and movies to keep you occupied.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Loading the player...
  • It sounds very similar to my first pregnancy.  Try not worry too much.  I was able to go to 37 weeks before the doctors induced me.  Just relax and enjoy the rest!  
    Riley 12/24/08 Pregnancy Ticker
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    imageBaconlettucetomato:
    Try not to stress. I know that's hard but it will ny help your blood pressure any. I have no experience but I'm glad your OB was proactive and is monitoring you this early! Keep us updated!

Thanks! I had some elevated liver enzymes on my past couple of bloodworks that they were keeping an eye on, so when they saw high blood pressure readings at my appointment last Monday, they sent me to Labor and Delivery for monitoring, who ordered the 24 hour urine. I really didn't think it would show anything, as all my single urine tests have been protein free, but I guess looking at the whole day is much more accurate. I am just glad they caught it early but still scared. Plus, I am worried about my students because I was not planning on leaving work for another month, and now they will be thrown into having a substitute with no notice.
  • Hang in there! You're doing a great job taking care of your baby already Smile
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • hang in there! I had pre-e with my first pregnancy. I was on bed rest for 3 months, and was induced at 39 weeks. Hopefully your BP goes down a little so your not induced before it's time. Maybe being off of work will help out with stress and BP.

Think positive and know your in good hands! Glad your Dr. is proactive with it- it can be really dangerous if ignored.

Just get ready for baby now- and take it easy at home. It will all work out. Try not to stress!!

• BC&LMBC&LM member
    imageRileighsMom1224:
    It sounds verynbsp;similarnbsp;to my first pregnancy. nbsp;Try not worry too much. nbsp;I was able to go to 37 weeks before the doctors induced me. nbsp;Just relax and enjoy the rest! nbsp;

If you don't mind me asking, did your induction at 37 weeks work, or did you have to have a C section?
  • My induction did not work at 37 weeks.  We tried for almost 20 hours, they even took me out of full labor and put me back in and I would still not dilate.  I had a c-section but my daughter was perfectly healthy at 7lbs 11oz and my recovery was not that hard.  

I was induced because my BP was at 140/105.  I have not had any issues this pregnancy.   

Riley 12/24/08 Pregnancy Ticker
  • A good friend of mine had to go on bed rest at the hospital at 26 weeks (dialated and contracting) and had baby at 30 weeks. He was able to go home by his due date and is doing well today btw. She teaches 2nd grade and is VERY dedicated to her students but once she got to the hospital (4 months before she was planning), it became all about little one and she admits she didn't think much about work and is not looking forward to going back (in 2 weeks). I commend you for being a concerned teacher but don't let it stress you out. Take care of you and baby right now :)
  • that stinks!! If you have a kindle I can see what books I can lend you... and my DH has a ton of web sites for old TV shows, so you dont get bored. Its better to be safe than sorry.
  • Try and rest and relax as much as you can, FX for you and your LO!
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • imageRileighsMom1224:
    It sounds very similar to my first pregnancy.  Try not worry too much.  I was able to go to 37 weeks before the doctors induced me.  Just relax and enjoy the rest!  

Same with my first pregnancy, but I made it to 39 weeks before they induced me. I had about 18 hours of labor and ended up with a c-section too, but at least I didn't have extra complications from the pre-e. Gotta do what ya gotta do! 

• BC&LMBC&LM member
    imagemissejayne:
    that stinks!! If you have a kindle I can see what books I can lend you... and my DH has a ton of web sites for old TV shows, so you dont get bored. Its better to be safe than sorry.

I do! I have a bunch of books on it already I have been meaning to read, but if I finish them early I might be PMing you to take you up on your offer. I also have Netflix and Hulu, so I anticipate using them a lot. Thanks!
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    Thank you everybody for your words of support! I will keep everybody posted.
  • Hi! This just happened to me too! I was just diagnosed with preeclampsia last week at 32 weeks. I am 33 weeks today. My BP was high last Monday and they sent me to the birthing unit to be monitored and I had blood work done. Thank God my BP went down and labs came back good. I was sent home and did not have to go to another hospital to be induced that day! I was so scared. I am on modified bed rest now. I did not pass my 24 hour urine test. It was 391-mild side right now. So I am having 2 ultrasounds a week, blood work every week and see my Dr. every week. BP has been good at home when I check it. Have had some mild swelling but it comes and goes. I totally know what you are going through. This is my 1st pregnancy. Hoping to make it to 36 weeks...longer would be better of course. Take care of yourself and try to relax. I know it's hard. I had some really bad days last week...just crying and scared but I am trying to be positive. My baby is my #! priority right now so I have to be strong for her.
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    imageboodapug77:
    Hi! This just happened to me too! I was just diagnosed with preeclampsia last week at 32 weeks. I am 33 weeks today. My BP was high last Monday and they sent me to the birthing unit to be monitored and I had blood work done. Thank God my BP went down and labs came back good. I was sent home and did not have to go to another hospital to be induced that day! I was so scared. I am on modified bed rest now. I did not pass my 24 hour urine test. It was 391mild side right now. So I am having 2 ultrasounds a week, blood work every week and see my Dr. every week. BP has been good at home when I check it. Have had some mild swelling but it comes and goes. I totally know what you are going through. This is my 1st pregnancy. Hoping to make it to 36 weeks...longer would be better of course. Take care of yourself and try to relax. I know it's hard. I had some really bad days last week...just crying and scared but I am trying to be positive. My baby is my ! priority right now so I have to be strong for her.

Glad to hear from someone else going through the same thing as me! My urine test numbers from last week are right around the same as yours. I think mine were in the 380s if I heard her correctly. I'm actually working on my second 24 hour urine test today, so we will see if the numbers go up or stay around the same. I asked my doctor if there is any chance they will go down, and she said no, other than maybe a slight variation. She said once the protein is there, it stays there. I have to do a 24 hour test each week from now on as well as bloodwork each week. I was seeing my regular OB every other week, but I think I am every week now. Plus, next week I have to start going to the MFM doctor weekly for NST. As of right now, my next ultrasound isn't for another three weeks, but I think they would move it up if I get bad NST results or much worse numbers on my blood tests or urine test. I wish they were doing more ultrasounds like you are getting to make sure baby is growing okay. I was rather disapointed they pulled me out of work so suddenly, but I guess all these appointments are like a second job anyway! I hope to hear from you again about how you are making out and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • I also got steroid injections last week( in the butt) Just needed 2 shots, 24 hrs apart. I guess it is just in case I do have her early-helps the development of her lungs. I asked if I needed to do the 24 hour urine test again(not like that was fun) but for now my Dr. said no and just doing blood work. But that could change. It's scary because right now I am doing OK(mild) but I know sometimes it can go from good to severe quickly in some people. Hopefully we both can carry our babies to full term. The only cure for preeclampsia is to deliver the baby. So hopefully my body cooperates. Just taking it day by day. Please keep me updated on your progress too. Lots of prayers to you too!
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    image42Butterflies:
    Best of luck to you.
    I had pree with my first and was on modified bed rest for a couple of weeks before my induction at 37 weeks.nbsp; Luckily, it was successful and I only labored for about 9 hours or so and delivered vaginally it is possible.
    Just keep monitoring your BP at home if you can I have a home BP cuff that I purchased from Walgreens I took it with me to the dr office and used it right after they took my BP to make sure it was accurate and watch out for bad headaches, blurred vision, stomach pains.nbsp; This can become a serious health event for you if you don't monitor it.nbsp; I know I went to Lamp;D for BP readings around 210/110 more than once.

I am picking up one of the home blood pressure cuffs today to start doing my BP. I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you with your first and hope I can have a similar outcome. Thanks for the support and advice!
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    imageboodapug77:
    I also got steroid injections last week in the butt Just needed 2 shots, 24 hrs apart. I guess it is just in case I do have her earlyhelps the development of her lungs. I asked if I needed to do the 24 hour urine test againnot like that was fun but for now my Dr. said no and just doing blood work. But that could change. It's scary because right now I am doing OKmild but I know sometimes it can go from good to severe quickly in some people. Hopefully we both can carry our babies to full term. The only cure for preeclampsia is to deliver the baby. So hopefully my body cooperates. Just taking it day by day. Please keep me updated on your progress too. Lots of prayers to you too!

Yeah, they are holding off on the steroids for me right now. My OB called the MFM doctor, and he said with my case being mild for right now, he wants to wait a little longer on the steroids. I hear you about being scared about how quickly it can escalate! If I can figure out how to do a PM, I'll send you a PM to check in and see how you are doing!
  • Hugs.  Hang in there, mama.
    We said "I Do" on 9/27/2008!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"