November 2012 Moms
Options

Tylenol before shots?

So sleep has made a big improvement at our house the past few weeks. KNOCK ON WOOD
But 6 months is fast approaching and that means shots. At 4 months the shots really seemed to throw a wrench in our already wakeful nights. A friend just text me saying she heard to give baby Tylenol an hour before they're given to take the edge off. This sounds a bit counter productive to me. I will be calling to schedule the appointment today and will ask but wanted to know your opinions?

Re: Tylenol before shots?

• Options

Agreed w/ Kira.

K had fevers for 4 days past her last shots and when I called the pedi she even said to only give Tylenol if the temp is 101 or higher. She said it's important to let the body do what it is trying to do. I guess that makes sense but I would give it to K if she seemed very uncomfortable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My MIL and SIL both told me to do this. I won't be doing it. I am not big on meds unless totally necessary. If he's in pain from teething and if he has a fever then I will give him Tylenol but that's the only time.
    We had a super high fever after 4 month shots and I will just play the next set by ear. It's something people do but I'm personally not comfortable with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Out pedi suggested this as well. But we don't do it. We give it as needed.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• Options
    I do it. I give it just before the appointment, and then once more 4 hours later. If I can help prevent pain. Im going to do so.
  • Options

I said no the last two rounds, but I'm doing it this time.  The other times he was miserable by the time we got home from the pedi's, just screaming and feverish, until the Tylenol kicked in.  So, I'm just going to try and head it off this time.  

Meanwhile, my crazy cousin has been posting all these anti-vaccine articles on fb all week.  I think it's bc she has her daughter's 6mo check up this week and has to defend herself to her pedi.  ::sigh::

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    imagekiraliz2:
    imageLuckyMissus:

I said no the last two rounds, but I'm doing it this time.  The other times he was miserable by the time we got home from the pedi's, just screaming and feverish, until the Tylenol kicked in.  So, I'm just going to try and head it off this time.  

Meanwhile, my crazy cousin has been posting all these anti-vaccine articles on fb all week.  I think it's bc she has her daughter's 6mo check up this week and has to defend herself to her pedi.  ::sigh::

There is VERY little that makes me stabbier than anti-vax crap. 

My pedi doesn't accept children whose parents don't follow the AAP recommended vax schedule and it's one of the reasons I chose her.

I know, right? So annyoing.  I think all of the pedi's we looked at wouldn't accept parents who don't.  I was kind of wondering who she sees, but they're military, so maybe they have to take her? Idk.  

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Our pedi said not to do it. His reasoning was that you want to see if your child is going to have a reaction to the shots. Giving preventative Tylenol can interfere with the babys natural reaction to the medications keeping you from knowing how serious the reaction is. Which our pedi feels is important information.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am all for trying to prevent any misery that her shots might bring on. I gave Em a dose an hour before her last appt and then another dose later that day. I plan on doing it again at her 6mo appt.
  • Options

imageCSmith8911:
    So sleep has made a big improvement at our house the past few weeks. KNOCK ON WOOD But 6 months is fast approaching and that means shots. At 4 months the shots really seemed to throw a wrench in our already wakeful nights. A friend just text me saying she heard to give baby Tylenol an hour before they're given to take the edge off. This sounds a bit counter productive to me. I will be calling to schedule the appointment today and will ask but wanted to know your opinions?

dont do it! wait until after and then only if baby has a fever. my doc said tylenol before can lessen the effectiveness of the vaccines 

• Options
    imagebridetobemo:

imageCSmith8911:
    So sleep has made a big improvement at our house the past few weeks. KNOCK ON WOOD But 6 months is fast approaching and that means shots. At 4 months the shots really seemed to throw a wrench in our already wakeful nights. A friend just text me saying she heard to give baby Tylenol an hour before they're given to take the edge off. This sounds a bit counter productive to me. I will be calling to schedule the appointment today and will ask but wanted to know your opinions?

dont do it! wait until after and then only if baby has a fever. my doc said tylenol before can lessen the effectiveness of the vaccines 

^ my pedi said this too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I didn't give N anything before or after his 2 and 4 month shots. He was no more fussy or sleepy or anything. 

Our doctors office said we could give Tylenol AFTER if needed, but that it could lessen the effectiveness.  

My DD never got Tylenol either.  

• Options
    imagebridetobemo:

imageCSmith8911:
    So sleep has made a big improvement at our house the past few weeks. KNOCK ON WOOD
    But 6 months is fast approaching and that means shots. At 4 months the shots really seemed to throw a wrench in our already wakeful nights. A friend just text me saying she heard to give baby Tylenol an hour before they're given to take the edge off. This sounds a bit counter productive to me. I will be calling to schedule the appointment today and will ask but wanted to know your opinions?

That's what I thought. I don't want to interfere and cause an adverse reaction. He only got a mild temp last time but lasted a few days. I'd rather let it ride its course.
  • Options
    imagepersephonerose:
    Our pedi said not to do it. His reasoning was that you want to see if your child is going to have a reaction to the shots. Giving preventative Tylenol can interfere with the babys natural reaction to the medications keeping you from knowing how serious the reaction is. Which our pedi feels is important information.

This. Also, when I worked in vaccine research we never gave anything prior to giving the vaccine. Any ibuprofen, acetaminophen, NSAID, etc will likely lessen the effectiveness of the Vax.

• Options

I don't do it despite family trying to force that issue. I really don't like to medicate if I do not have to.

Pedi told me only Tylenol if he has a fever of 100.5 or higher. Now that he is 6 months I can give Motrin if the fever is 102 or higher. We just gave V Tylenol for the first time this past weekend for fever.

For shots we just tough it out. He usually gets a little more cranky, maybe a slight fever, but nothing too awful.

IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"