August 2013 Moms

Enema or castor oil to avoid pooping?

Okay, uncomfortable post, I know, Sorry! I have been reading up on different ways of helping to prevent pooping during delivery.  It seems the two big successful suggestions have been castor oil or an enema right before or in very early labor.  Has anyone read anything about this or done this with prior pregnancies?  This is my first and I am terrified about pooping on the table!  

Re: Enema or castor oil to avoid pooping?

• Omg.. me too! I know I probably wont care in the situation & that it happens so often, BUT I still would rather not lol.
  • A) I totally would NOT worry about it. Seriously. There is way too much other gross stuff going on, it makes no difference.

B) Definitely do NOT do the castor oil. You will feel sooooooo terrible, on top of already feeling like a$$ since you are in labor. Trust me.

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Why no on the castor oil?  I've heard good things about using it like in the few days before your due date.  Supposedly it cleans you out enough that by the time you're pushing there's nothing to poop haha.  What is making you say it makes you feel terrible?  What about an emema?  They did that like 30-40 years ago for women in labor, and I've heard doing it in the days leading up to the due date can be really helpful.  I know everyone says it's not a big deal but honestly, with my husband and my mother in the room with me, I would rather not have it happen haha.  I'm already self conscious enough about looking and feeling gross and unattractive.  God knows if I poop during delivery my husband will never want to have sex with me again haha. 
  • I'm not worried about it much, it happens so frequently. We were actually told that the people who are most concerned about it turn out to not push as well and a lot wind up with c sections

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Since you have no way of really knowing how long your labor will be, I wouldn't go that route.  An enema is immediate, but won't do much of anything for what is higher up in your intestines (which could have more than a day to work itself out in time for pooping on the table) or you could have a really fast labor, in which you'd still have diarrhea from the castor oil at the time of delivery.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• You might as well get over it. It happens, often. You won't even know if you did... You will be busy with other things and won't notice.

Seriously, talk to your OB, they will tell you NO to both the enema and the caster oil to prevent pooping during labor.

• imageColgate1:
    God knows if I poop during delivery my husband will never want to have sex with me again haha. 

This is such a naive thing to say.  If anything your placenta is more gross than a quick poop during labor. Castor oil can cause agonizing stomach pain and diarrhea. Most doctors and midwives say it is not worth it and dangerous if you take too much. An enema seems like an unnecessary and uncomfortable "pain in the ". You will have so much going on in your head why add that extra stress and discomfort. Most women don't even know if the poo while they are pushing or not. While you are in the moment about to meet your baby... its the furthest thing from your mind.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I pooped on the table. I'm pretty sure it's what made enough room for DS to finally come out. :-) It happens, no big deal. I'd rather poop a quick turd for the Dr to sweep away than have castor oil runs spritzing out every time you push.

When the time comes, you likely won't give a sh*t what happens anyway. 

image         image
  • Honestly, if anyone in your life is going to hold what happens during delivery against you in any way, that person does not belong in the delivery room.
  • imageAprilRaine:
    I pooped on the table. I'm pretty sure it's what made enough room for DS to finally come out. : It happens, no big deal. I'd rather poop a quick turd for the Dr to sweep away than have castor oil runs spritzing out every time you push.When the time comes, you likely won't give a sht what happens anyway.nbsp;

Hahaha I am dying. I love the way you phrased this. Hahaha
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Haha as I'm reading this thread I'm watching Grey's Anatomy. All of the sudden they start talking about pooping on the table during this episode. 

Also, I'm a ftm and I am not really concerned about pooping on the table at all. It's normal, natural, and if your husband doesn't want sex because of that, then he's kind of an a$$. I would just concentrate on pushing correctly and not worry too much about it. Most likely, even if you do poop you won't know about it. A lot don't know that they did unless they ask their doctor or their husband/so. 

• I hadn't thought much about it before delivery of DD. later I asked DH and he said I had (I didn't know, the pushing all feels the same) but that he'd hardly noticed as the MW cleaned it up (along with a lot of other stuff that she was busy cleaning up throughout) and he hardly noticed. It really was probably the least graphic part of the whole thing, and none of it impacted my relationship with DH in a negative way. The experience as whole, in fact, was a great thing for us. I agree with PP that I wouldn't have anyone in the room I wasn't comfortable being there for, well, all of it. Fr that reason, my DH is the only one other than MW and nurses that will be there.

• imageLR70707:
    Since you have no way of really knowing how long your labor will be, I wouldn't go that route.nbsp; An enema is immediate, but won't do much of anything for what is higher up in your intestines which could have more than a day to work itself out in time for pooping on the table or you could have a really fast labor, in which you'd still have diarrhea from the castor oil at the time of delivery.

OMG. Thank you. ALL THIS. If your husband won't think you are sexy after some moderately formed poops that they will whisk away in no time, I'd imagine this will be your last child after you loose stool ALL OVER THE BED.

That won't be a "whisk away" affair.

I would never do it personally. DH says I didn't poo last time. He's either telling the truth or lying. Either way, he's a very smart man.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Honestly, I'm not worried about it. Poop happens, ya know? It's not like someone's going to be sitting there pointing and laughing. Someone will clean it up, and likely not even say a word. You run the risk of dehydrating yourself if you take castor oil, either by puking, or pooping your brains out. I would much rather poop than have to deal with dehydration on top of pushing something the size of a watermelon out of something the size of a grapefruit, but that's just me.
    Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • imageAprilRaine:

I pooped on the table. I'm pretty sure it's what made enough room for DS to finally come out. :-) It happens, no big deal. I'd rather poop a quick turd for the Dr to sweep away than have castor oil runs spritzing out every time you push.

hahaha hysterical! Thanks for sharing I totally lol'd and it makes me feel ok about pooping too! 

• I didn't worry about that with either and I didn't poop on the table with either. I am not going to worry about it this time.
    imageimageimageimage

• imageColgate1:
    Why no on the castor oil?  I've heard good things about using it like in the few days before your due date.  Supposedly it cleans you out enough that by the time you're pushing there's nothing to poop haha.  What is making you say it makes you feel terrible?  What about an emema?  They did that like 30-40 years ago for women in labor, and I've heard doing it in the days leading up to the due date can be really helpful.  I know everyone says it's not a big deal but honestly, with my husband and my mother in the room with me, I would rather not have it happen haha.  I'm already self conscious enough about looking and feeling gross and unattractive.  God knows if I poop during delivery my husband will never want to have sex with me again haha. 

A friend of mine used castor oil to try to induce labor. She said it was awful, terrible cramping and diarrhea. No thanks. 

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I just wanted to add that I had really bad diarrhea during early labor, before I left for the hospital. By the time I had to push nothing was left. This is also a possibility and I think it happens often.
  • You won't care and you can't prevent it lol.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageColgate1:
    Why no on the castor oil?  I've heard good things about using it like in the few days before your due date.  Supposedly it cleans you out enough that by the time you're pushing there's nothing to poop haha.  What is making you say it makes you feel terrible?  What about an emema?  They did that like 30-40 years ago for women in labor, and I've heard doing it in the days leading up to the due date can be really helpful.  I know everyone says it's not a big deal but honestly, with my husband and my mother in the room with me, I would rather not have it happen haha.  I'm already self conscious enough about looking and feeling gross and unattractive.  God knows if I poop during delivery my husband will never want to have sex with me again haha. 

Get the eff over it. Seriously? I pooped the table. You use the same muscles to push. My husband still had sex with me (obviously). Really, you are worrying about something beyond your control and that no one ends up caring about.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I pooped. I asked the nurse about it before hand. She said there's nothing to be embarrassed about, it's not a first for them. Pretty sure no one WANTS to poop, but It's the last thing your worried about when your pushin your child out your who ha. Just make sure you don't have corn on the cob the night before lol
    photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
    ~may siggy challenge~

photo IMG_20140501_070346.gif photo IMG_20140501_071323.gif
  • I was worried a little with DS, but seriously.....once you are in labor pooping will be the last thing on your mind. There will be so much going on you won't have time to think about it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
  • imageAprilRaine:

I pooped on the table. I'm pretty sure it's what made enough room for DS to finally come out. :-) It happens, no big deal. I'd rather poop a quick turd for the Dr to sweep away than have castor oil runs spritzing out every time you push.

I am literally crying with laughter over that! <3

• You can always practice before hand and have him watch you poop so he knows the process. But I'm sure he already knows the gist of it. ;)

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • To each their own, but trust me when I say you won't give a "crap" about pooping when you are pushing that baby out. Seems a bit ridiculous you'd take castor oil just so you don't poop. You are pushing a baby out of your vagina...if you can do that, you can do anything!
  • ummm yeah I'd be way less terrified of a normal poop than a castor oil poop LOL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRoosterMemphis:
    You can always practice before hand and have him watch you poop so he knows the process. But I'm sure he already knows the gist of it. ;

LMAO
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• imagecaramia582:
    I just wanted to add that I had really bad diarrhea during early labor, before I left for the hospital. By the time I had to push nothing was left. This is also a possibility and I think it happens often.

Yep, me too. The 4th time I ran to the bathroom with diarrhea I actually had nothing left and was inadvertently trying to push out my kid. Bodily fluids and what not are part of the process so I really wouldn't worry about it.
    image Samuel (Photo by Gruman Photography)

• I was on and off the toilet in early labor pooping a bunch.

You think that with all that I would have not pooped on the delivery table. Well I did, a very tiny bit. NBD at all.

If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. There is not much that can be done to prevent it.

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • imageColgate1:
    This exactly.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• Thanks to everyone who gave comforting words or anecdotes about it, I do feel a little better about it I guess, although I wish there was a sure way to prevent it.  Truthfully I told my husband (and my mom) they both have to stay up near my head through the whole thing anyway (I don't want anyone without a medical degree looking down there haha), so hopefully they won't know if I do either.    

Honestly though, the nasty negative commentary from some of you really wasn't necessary!  Especially when you're talking to a first timer who is totally ignorant about everything, self conscious to begin with, and very private about anything/everything bodily-function related.  Saying "get over it" or "you're naive" or "your husband is an a$$" (especially when that part was just my assumption, not something he said) was totally unnecessary.    

• First, Relax.

Second, don't worry about such a silly thing like pooping during labor.  That will be the VERY LAST thing you will be thinking about- I promise. I am looking forward to your follow-up post after delivery about how it wasn't a big deal at all. Your doctors and nurses will take care of you.

• Giving myself explosive diarrhea to try to avoid pooping on the table was NOT on my to-do list.
  • If you poop you might get a tad bit embarrassed but most likely youll be to caught up in getting that baby out of there. Once you deliver your little one you will realize that it didn't matter, nor will it have mattered to your DH. He won't think any different of you. My husband didn't look at that point but I know I pooped and he knows I did to. When your pushing like that you have to be prepared to poop at least a little bit.
    photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
    ~may siggy challenge~

photo IMG_20140501_070346.gif photo IMG_20140501_071323.gif
  • I was given an enema during labor with my daughter 25 years ago. It was fine...I don't see that as a big deal. But castor oil?? No. Then instead of pooping you may be shooting diarrhea all over.

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• EmR22EmR22 member
    Try to relax (which I know is impossible for a pregnant women). My advice is to go with the flow. I am very modest, shy and private. But after numerous people checking my progress, nurses, doctors, interns, Extra neo-natal doctors, their staff, etc. I lost my modesty along the way and could care less who saw what. This also applied later for breast feeding. I needed help, hence a whole new group of people got to see my boobs. Add in the staff that took care of me post delivery and the things they saw and it would be easy to be embarrassed. I hope all goes well for you and you don't poop but if you do I promise no one will make a big deal and you probably won't even realize. (My hubby pointed it out afterwards -- thanks hubby!  He never told another person though! And I warned him if he watched down there he could never un-see it. He did and I think he was honestly a little freaked but trust me, six weeks later there were no bad thoughts left and he couldn't wait for me to be cleared for "activities")
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"