Eco-Friendly Family

Eco-friendly / organic baby registry ideas....

Anyone have any ideas of where to register for eco-friendly / organic baby products.

Unfortunately I think we're going to do a babies r us registry just because I know so many people that simply HAVE to shop in person (and that's all we have nearby)

My thoughts are that if I load that with as much organic and eco friendly stuff as possible they'll get the hint and hopefully we won't get too much "fantastic plastic" (s/c)  or chemical laden stuff.  (e.g. oh please, please, please no pampers of johnson and johnson gift baskets or something)

Thoughts/suggestions/great product ideas?

Re: Eco-friendly / organic baby registry ideas....

• This was my idea as well. I'm doing babies r us, buy buy baby, and pottery barn kids. Pottery barn has some great wooden toys that I want to register for to give people the hint that plastic is not my thing. I'll also do Burt's bees products and prob add some seventh generation although I do plan on doing honest co. Just trying to steer them away from pampers.
  • Loading the player...
  • This was my idea as well. I'm doing babies r us, buy buy baby, and pottery barn kids. Pottery barn has some great wooden toys that I want to register for to give people the hint that plastic is not my thing. I'll also do Burt's bees products and prob add some seventh generation although I do plan on doing honest co. Just trying to steer them away from pampers.
  • I did amazon and was able find most items I wanted/needed on there. They also have an option to add items from other sites, but I didn't do that.

I did BRU too so I had one brick and mortar store and found that they had some more natural/organic stuff online that wasn't in the store. Still there wasn't much and it was hard to find on their site.  

people still ended up giving me a lot of new conventional clothing that I hadn't registered for though. 

Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
                 imageimageimageimage
  • Diapers.com has some good options.
  • Check out Vine.com which is the "green" product website within the diapers.com brand family!
    www.healthyhappytot.com - Healthy, non-toxic product recommendations for children from a mom who has really used them!
  • Do you have a Target? The one by me has quite a few bath supplies/lotions that are organic and/or products that score low on EWG.
  • I used the registry from Baby List.  I could add any product from any website (including etsy!!!).  It was super easy to use.  Highly recommended. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekbruington:
    imageartistgal:

Anyone have any ideas of where to register for eco-friendly / organic baby products.

Unfortunately I think we're going to do a babies r us registry just because I know so many people that simply HAVE to shop in person (and that's all we have nearby)

My thoughts are that if I load that with as much organic and eco friendly stuff as possible they'll get the hint and hopefully we won't get too much "fantastic plastic" (s/c)  or chemical laden stuff.  (e.g. oh please, please, please no pampers of johnson and johnson gift baskets or something)

People gave some good ideas (Amazon for one) but you really should just be happy that people are giving you gifts. You can only dictate what other people get for YOU so much. Most people don't even shop off your registry and just get stuff so if you don't like it, exchange it or donate it to someone who could really use it and doesn't care if it's organic.

Gee, like soapboxes much?  lol.  Why are you on this forum then if you're not too concerned about eco friendliness?

I'm totally grateful for anything people give so it's kinda rude to assume otherwise.   I just don't want people to waste their money on things that we wouldn't use.  (An while it's nice to say to donate, I'm of the mind that even poorer people and people in need deserve something better than the crap people don't want.  E.g. when we donate food it's not ramen noodles, it's healthy! ) If we operate under the premise that people should just be happy with what they get then why do people even make registries for things like weddings and baby showers? Why gee, because some people DO like to buy people what they want.  *hinting* is a much more polite way of asking then demanding. I thought making the registry clearly organic-leaning was way more polite than putting in some note like 'as organic as possible please"

Thanks for the suggestions, several were alternatives I had been considering.  We may still stick with babies r us (As despite what the previous poster seems to think, we really don't want to make things complicated for folks)  I was hoping there were some bigger organic baby sites I was unaware of, but I'm not sure they exist.  Sure seems like there would be a market for a natural / organic baby retail chain! :) 

If I come across anything I'll come back and post.  I have a cousin who has done an incredible job raising her kids organically so I'll see if she has any add'l suggestions.  

• imagehappytotmom:
    Check out Vine.com which is the "green" product website within the diapers.com brand family!

Thanks....this one was new to me! :) 

• imagekbruington:
    imageartistgal:
    imagekbruington:
    imageartistgal:

People gave some good ideas (Amazon for one) but you really should just be happy that people are giving you gifts. You can only dictate what other people get for YOU so much. Most people don't even shop off your registry and just get stuff so if you don't like it, exchange it or donate it to someone who could really use it and doesn't care if it's organic.

Gee, like soapboxes much?  lol.  Why are you on this forum then if you're not too concerned about eco friendliness?

I'm totally grateful for anything people give so it's kinda rude to assume otherwise.   I just don't want people to waste their money on things that we wouldn't use.  (An while it's nice to say to donate, I'm of the mind that even poorer people and people in need deserve something better than the crap people don't want.  E.g. when we donate food it's not ramen noodles, it's healthy! ) If we operate under the premise that people should just be happy with what they get then why do people even make registries for things like weddings and baby showers? Why gee, because some people DO like to buy people what they want.  *hinting* is a much more polite way of asking then demanding. I thought making the registry clearly organic-leaning was way more polite than putting in some note like 'as organic as possible please"

Thanks for the suggestions, several were alternatives I had been considering.  We may still stick with babies r us (As despite what the previous poster seems to think, we really don't want to make things complicated for folks)  I was hoping there were some bigger organic baby sites I was unaware of, but I'm not sure they exist.  Sure seems like there would be a market for a natural / organic baby retail chain! :) 

If I come across anything I'll come back and post.  I have a cousin who has done an incredible job raising her kids organically so I'll see if she has any add'l suggestions.  

Who says I'm not concerned about eco-friendliness? Don't recall saying anything about my personal preferences in that post. I'm kind of surprised that you flipped out because I wasn't even being mean!

I agree you can't really dictate what others buy and you can always return. When I registered I tried to put as many ecofriendly options that I could on my registry at Target. I returned a few things and then donated the disposable diapers. Most people either bought clothes or were mindful of the registry, though. Just because someone doesn't share your same belief in being ecofriendly doesn't mean that they wouldn't appreciate or benefit from an item that you are choosing differently for your child. I didn't toss my gifted diapers because I thought no one should use them because i didn't want to put my daughter in them.

As for your original post, target actually has a ton of decent ecofriendly products. They are also more convenient for most, so I would suggest going there.
  • Thanks! Sounds like you had a really fun shower :) We toyed with the idea of a co-ed shower, since we had a friend who did so and it was a good time.
  • I registered at Amazon for mostly organic items but most people (the older ladies really) completely ignored that and just got what they wanted from local stores (mostly clothes) with no gift receipts. I am happy they got me anything at all but now that I am on this side of things I will be even more sure to shop people's registries going forward. I was so happy whenever I got something from the registry. It was pricey to get the rest of what we needed. I am planning to return a lot of the clothes, mainly because I have too many 0-3 months at this point, I think most of them was Carter from Kohls.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I recently registered at Franklin Goose.  They have one of the most varied sites I've seen as far as organic and natural baby products go.  There were a few things I did not find, and some things are bit expensive of course, but well worth the investment in baby's health.  :)  I also plan to request some specific things on my invites, such as no "regular" disposable diapers or plastic toys/bottles of any kind.  This may seem rude or harsh to some, but I find it necessary due to being proactive about environmental health and warding off cancer risks.  If I wanted those things in the landfill I would just buy them myself.  And while I do think donating is acceptable, I don't think wishing the things I do not want for my family on another is.  The only way to stop the detrimental effects of these types of products is to leave them on the shelf, and tell the manufacturers we don't want them.  

Unfortunately, some see being eco-friendly as a luxury or as being snotty, when in fact it is a necessity.  The more it is promoted, the more the price of these currently expensive products will drop.  Supply and demand!  Every little bit counts.  Do cloth when possible, and support eco-companies even if only once a month.  

• www.nest.ca
    We had our baby registry there.  They ship to Canada and US.  If there is something you'd really like to have in your registry and it's not on their site, they'll even maybe start carrying it for you! They did this for me, so helpful!  They ship to Canada and US for free.
  • kursemkursem member

ecomom.com - i have shopped there for years, it's a great side and i believe they just added a registry feature :)

giggle.com has quite a lot too - we have a store here in Arizona but they have online registry as well.

Good luck - and if it makes you feel better, BRU has a very liberal return policy for all of that fantastic plastic ;)

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"