3rd Trimester

Instant Cream of Wheat

Because of my low iron, I started eating instant cream of wheat; it has tons a iron. But I dont know if because its the microwavable kind, instant, or what... but geez, this stuff is hard to get down! Any of you eating instant cream of wheat and have some yummy add in? Im using raisins and dried apricots with a bit of sugar, but doesnt help! Barfffff!

Re: Instant Cream of Wheat

• I love cream of wheat.  I grew up eating the stuff.  The only thing I add is butter and syrup.  I also eat it with toast. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't eat cream of wheat but try adding some brown sugar?

Also, if you're low on iron what about eating lean red meats or beans?  If you don't like meat, beans have LOADS of iron & there's so many varieties.  You could make a bean or pea soup, or even refried beans, black beans, etc etc...

Also leafy green veggies are loaded w/ iron - spinach, kale, etc.

Just some suggestions - you don't have to just eat cream of wheat - eat something you like!  =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know about cream of wheat, but I know that the Quaker 1 minute oats with a little brown sugar, walnuts, and raisins taste a lot better than instant oatmeal. And there is a chocolate flavored malt o meal, similar to cream of wheat, that I used to like when I was a kid. I'd look into those. I've never been a cream of wheat fan.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I grew up eating it. Try some butter, sugar and a bit of cinnamon.
    imageimageimageimage

• YUM. I love cream of wheat! Of course I have to add a ton of brown sugar to it- and a little milk or half and half.

After all that, it doesn't make it very healthy! lol

• HUGE fans of Cream of Wheat in our house! 

Recommendations:

-Maple syrup and cinnamon

-Honey and cinnamon

-Agave syrup and cinnamon

-Make it with MILK, not water--also I like to pour some milk on top and eat each spoonful with a bit of milk

-Add your favorite extract...we like almond, vanilla, or orange

Hope this is helpful!! :)

• I am in the group that grew up eating cream of wheat :)  

My hubby can't get it down though!  

My favorite is the one that takes 3 minutes to cook on the stove.  I use a pinch of salt in the water, then when it's nice and thick I add a bit of brown sugar and just a small amount of milk.  mmmmm 

• LoALoA member
    Totally not healthy, but I use milk and butter with lots of added sugar! Yum.
  • I grew up on cream of wheat I love that stuff.  I put milk in mine.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Cocoa wheats are better than the plain. just like the others I grew up on it and add butter and cold milk over the top.
    Baby Slings at Nurtured Family BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Instant has a much different texture than the stove top version. If you're having a hard time with the instant, try switching, it really doesn't take much longer. I also make it with milk instead of water, and mix in a small amount of milk and brown sugar when it's done. I grew up eating it that way, and have since gotten my husband hooked on it. He won't touch the instant though.
  • Try real butter, sugar and a tiny bit of maple syrup for flavor. I love cream of wheat.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I like mixing it with a fruit yogurt. You could also try putting it into a smoothie.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagevaleivegas:
    I don't eat cream of wheat but try adding some brown sugar?
    Also, if you're low on iron what about eating lean red meats or beans?nbsp; If you don't like meat, beans have LOADS of iron amp; there's so many varieties.nbsp; You could make a bean or pea soup, or even refried beans, black beans, etc etc...
    Also leafy green veggies are loaded w/ iron spinach, kale, etc.
    Just some suggestions you don't have to just eat cream of wheat eat something you like!nbsp; =

Yeah, definitely im eating red meat, tons of beans ans spinach; but cream of wheat for breakfast!! Not loving it lol
  • Thank you all for the wonderful recommendations! I'm going to be trying them. I also grew up on cream of wheat and used to love it. I don't know what happened. I have a feeling its the instant version; I'm going to try the stove top one! Thanks a bunch girls!!
  • I'm late to reply, but I use canned milk instead of regular and a little add sugar. I grew up on it and LOVED it. Canned milk is sweeter than regular milk so it changes the taste a bit in a favorable way (:

• I make mine with water and then when it's still hot, I put a tiny bit of brown sugar on top and let it melt (don't stir) then a little milk (don't stir). You only need a small amount of sugar because it makes the milk super sweet and get a little with each bite. 
  • If you make it with milk, it defeats the purpose of even eating it bc the calcium prevents the absorption of the iron.

Why not just a supplement?
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lurking, but I love the brown sugar cream of wheat. I don't cook it as long as the directions say, because it gets too thick if I do. I don't like getting the plain cream of wheat and adding stuff though. I don't think it tastes as good.

• imageemolm:
    If you make it with milk, it defeats the purpose of even eating it bc the calcium prevents the absorption of the iron.

Exactly why I use water in mine. No calcium when im eating anything with iron. And I am taking supplements as well; but doctor said extra precaution is always best! Actually, maybe its the water that makes it taste so gross to me! When I was a kid, we used milk and sugar! That was good!
  • I make it everyday for my grandmother and we use cinnamon and carnation milk instead of regular milk. It gives it a creamier flavor and then we too it off with a teaspoon of sugar.
  • I make mine with milk (instead of water) - and add in raisins and brown sugar.  Nom nom.  

But like some PPs have said, I grew up eating it - so maybe that helps! 

And I didn't know about milk hindering iron absorption - so maybe my suggestion is no use now! 

BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • If you dont like to eat the leafy stuff, my DH makes me a smoothie that has spinach and kale but tastes actually pretty good. He adds lots of fruits to make it taste better. ive been drinking those daily to help me with my low iron. good luck!

• imageKittyMeowdashian:
    imageemolm:
    If you make it with milk, it defeats the purpose of even eating it bc the calcium prevents the absorption of the iron.

Exactly why I use water in mine. No calcium when im eating anything with iron. And I am taking supplements as well; but doctor said extra precaution is always best! Actually, maybe its the water that makes it taste so gross to me! When I was a kid, we used milk and sugar! That was good!

I'd just ditch the cream of wheat and switch to eggs.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageemolm:
    imageKittyMeowdashian:
    imageemolm:

I'd just ditch the cream of wheat and switch to eggs.

Lol you're so right!!!!!
  • imageColeyHouse:
    If you dont like to eat the leafy stuff, my DH makes me a smoothie that has spinach and kale but tastes actually pretty good. He adds lots of fruits to make it taste better. ive been drinking those daily to help me with my low iron. good luck!

Mmmm I'll try that too!!! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"