May 2013 Moms
Options

Group B Strep or GBS?

I just found out I tested positive for Group B Strep or GBS.  The nurse just called me and I was not concerned at first because she said I just have to take antibiotics when I am in labor.  Then I started looking at stuff online (march of dimes and other reputable sources) and saw there is a (very slight) risk even if you take antibiotics and a risk if you don't get to hospital soon enough to take them.  Anyone tested positive or know more about this? I am little nervous and my appointment with the doctor is not until Thursday... I think it is fine, but wanted to hear more about it.  TIA!

Re: Group B Strep or GBS?

• Options
    Don't worry about it.  Most women and babies w/ GBS are totally fine even if they don't get as many doses of antibiotics as they docs would like.  Some women even forego the GBS test or opt out of the antibiotics and their babies are fine.  I wouldn't recommend the latter, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Talk to you doctor about it at your next appointment and see what they want you to do.  Normally, if you water breaks, they want you to come in and get on the antibiotics.  Otherwise, you can labor normally at home until you are ready to go in.
  • Options
    I get tested for this tomorrow.  All my Dr told me was that if I have it, I will just get IV of antibiotics during delivery.  She didn't seem concerned at all.  Wink
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary image image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    20-30% of women are colonized with GBS. The risk is passing the GBS to your newborn ... thus why they give antibiotics during labor. Even if you had the world's quickest labor and couldn't give you the antibiotic prior to birth, they will just monitor the baby and give them antibiotics if necessary. 
  • Options
    I found out I had it too just last week and she just said that they want me to be at the hospital within an hour of my water breaking to start the antibiotics. She was not at all concerned and I read alot into it also and it seems pretty typical. It's like 33 of healthy women have this and even without antibiotics, there's chances that ur baby won't get it. Hope this helps!
  • Options

I had mine today and doctor doesn't seem concerned either.  If I test positive, I'll get antibiotics, blah blah blah.

On another note, I went in expecting a rectal swab based on a google search, but she only did it vaginally.  Unless she did do it rectally but it was so topical I didn't notice?  What did your doctor do?

None of those are words I thought I would ever type by the way.  Gross. 

I'd put a Movember mustache fail, but then
    you'd all have to look at it until February.
  • Options

I have it too.  My OBs office said almost 50% of women they test come back positive, and that it's no big deal.  I wouldn't worry.  She said it's just a penicillin type antibiotic they give you in the IV.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    My doctor said 1 in about 3 woman have it. She said it wasn't a big deal, you just have to have an IV of antibiotics during labor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks, all! This helps. I thought that everything would be fine, but wanted to hear what people's doctors said because I have not had a chance to talk to mine. Thanks you all made me feel much better!
  • Options
    I tested GBS positive and made it to the hospital at 10cm. There was not a lot of time for me and they were able to barely get the one dose in. What they did give me, they were unsure of whether or not it even did anything because of how quickly I was pushing.
    My son is being monitored closely, but other than that they do not seem to be too concerned. Initially I was very scared, but things seem to be going well.
  • Options

imagelindsay.n.harman:
    I tested GBS positive and made it to the hospital at 10cm. There was not a lot of time for me and they were able to barely get the one dose in. What they did give me, they were unsure of whether or not it even did anything because of how quickly I was pushing. My son is being monitored closely, but other than that they do not seem to be too concerned. Initially I was very scared, but things seem to be going well.

Wait!  When did you have your baby?  Did I miss your post?  Hopefully DH was still home and able to attend.  Congrats!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    imagesurpriseaddition:

imagelindsay.n.harman:
    I tested GBS positive and made it to the hospital at 10cm. There was not a lot of time for me and they were able to barely get the one dose in. What they did give me, they were unsure of whether or not it even did anything because of how quickly I was pushing.
    My son is being monitored closely, but other than that they do not seem to be too concerned. Initially I was very scared, but things seem to be going well.

Wait!  When did you have your baby?  Did I miss your post?  Hopefully DH was still home and able to attend.  Congrats!

Our little guy was born on Sunday at 11:05. I haven't left the hospital yet to write my birth story. Husband was able to be here and we are both so in love. Thank you for the congrats!
  • Options
    imagelindsay.n.harman:
    imagesurpriseaddition:

imagelindsay.n.harman:
    I tested GBS positive and made it to the hospital at 10cm. There was not a lot of time for me and they were able to barely get the one dose in. What they did give me, they were unsure of whether or not it even did anything because of how quickly I was pushing. My son is being monitored closely, but other than that they do not seem to be too concerned. Initially I was very scared, but things seem to be going well.

Our little guy was born on Sunday at 11:05. I haven't left the hospital yet to write my birth story. Husband was able to be here and we are both so in love. Thank you for the congrats!
    I was wondering the same thing! Congrats! Can't wait for the (very fast) birth story! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have tested positive with some kids and negative with others. Your results can even change from when you do the test at the OB and when you re-do it at the hospital (if there's time). The antibiotics are not a big deal. Hang in there!
    Soon to be a mom of 7! Guess who's in the market for a 12-passenger van!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"