Breastfeeding

When to breastfeed?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: When to breastfeed?

• I just nursed him all the time. Nursing met all his needs, well beyond just "I'm hungry". It also helped him if he was tired, cold, wanted to be held, wanted to make sure I was there, etc. If he wanted to nurse, we nursed. If I needed him to be quiet, we nursed.

EASY wasn't going to work with my kid, he wanted to eat before going to sleep. 

• In the beginning I nursed all the time. Sometimes constantly in the evening! You didn't say how old your LO was? If you are still working on building your supply, don't try to schedule. Nurse on demand or you could impact your supply.

Eventually she got into a routine where she went every 2.5-3 hours. It just takes some time and if you listen to baby, they will work out their own schedule. Also I figured out that I was misinterpreting sleepy cues as hungry cues, which was why I was feeding so often.

• Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • How do you know she is hungry? Is it rooting, crying, sucking on hands? My DD is 4 mo and just discovered how yummy her hands are. DH thinks she's hungry all the time but I think she's just checking them out. I don't know if all babies are like this, it sounds like yours might be too, but it doesn't matter how recently DD just ate, she will always nurse. Even if it's just for a few minutes. So if I offer, she will go for it. Maybe if it's just been an hour try to distract her for 10 min or so. Go by her cues, if she starts crying for it then feed her.
  • imageoneyedsally:
    In the beginning I nursed all the time. Sometimes constantly in the evening! You didn't say how old your LO was? If you are still working on building your supply, don't try to schedule. Nurse on demand or you could impact your supply. Eventually she got into a routine where she went every 2.53 hours. It just takes some time and if you listen to baby, they will work out their own schedule. Also I figured out that I was misinterpreting sleepy cues as hungry cues, which was why I was feeding so often.

Can I ask what cues you were mixing up? I can't even figure out when my 4 month old is hungry. EVERY TIME I hold her in a craddle or even most the time I set her on my lap facing out she will automatically turn and lean back and start grabbing me until I feed her. We all have to be careful how we hold her or she wants to nurse. But she's also tired a lot because she never sleeps so I wonder if Im ready cues wrong.

OP I wish I could help but my LO is kinda similar. You could offer her a paci after her naps instead and see if that works.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • imageJandACoffee:
    imagetokenhoser:

I just nursed him all the time. Nursing met all his needs, well beyond just "I'm hungry". It also helped him if he was tired, cold, wanted to be held, wanted to make sure I was there, etc. If he wanted to nurse, we nursed. If I needed him to be quiet, we nursed.

EASY wasn't going to work with my kid, he wanted to eat before going to sleep. 

Did you end up with crazy numbers of feedings also then? Its not really that big of a deal I guess since I SAH but I guess I just wish she would go a little longer than  1 1/2-2 hours between wanting to nurse sometimes... and its not a growth spurt. This is her normal...

It didn't bother me to have "crazy" numbers of feedings, as I could still do what I wanted. I never felt like it held me back - he'd often go longer if we were out doing things than he would if we were around home by ourselves. As he got older and more interested in other things, he naturally started seeking out things other than the breast.

You can always try other soothing methods before feeding if you think it hasn't been long, but for me, breastfeeding is the easy way. I didn't want to do it the hard way, so I didn't. 

• Dd makes a "nnaah" kind of noise when she's hungry. I know its for hunger when I can hear the n in there

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Something else to think about - 4 months is the "4 month wakeful" time.  Which was when my son also went from nice long naps to super crappy short naps. 

AND when he started "distracted nursing" where he would snack instead of eating full meals.  (From my blog at 4.5 months:
    "During the day, feedings take forever because he likes to chatter.  He takes frequent breaks to tell me all about how his night went.  The first meal he is also distracted by DH.  Subsequent meals he is distracted by the dog, his reflection, a lamp, a computer, the dresser, his bed, a shadow.......")

For us, it really helped if I'd nurse him in a dark, quiet place (in his room with the lights off) so he would focus and get a good meal in.  Then he'd be less likely to "snack" or be hungry later)

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"