Toddlers: 24 Months+

Timeouts where do they sit?

Where do you put your child for a time out? My son just turned 2, and in have tried time outs by bringing him to a bench in out house to sit but he laughs and will just get down unless I struggle to hold him there. I don't understand where to put him If he's constantly moving around. He runs from me outside and I warn him about a time out and I ask him if he wants a time out and he says yes. His room seems too far to bring him if we r outside and he plays in there too. Maybe he's too young for time outs? He just doesn't get it. I just wanting him to understand he csnt run from me constantly

Re: Timeouts where do they sit?

• Sorry for typos on phone
  • In his room.  He still learns a lesson by being away from what he was doing.  If you are struggling to keep him in a chair you are just giving the attention he was craving to begin with.  Time outs are a pain for everyone involved, but they work.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • With My DD it is pretty much anywhere. Wherever we are at that is usually where she goes in time out. It works for her because she really hates them and we have a time out clock which she really despises. The clock is in the living room and stays there. So any other time she gets put in TO it is without but she stays put and cries the whole entire time. She doesn't go in TO too often because usually the threat of it is enough to make her stop what she is doing. 

I can't remember exactly when we started doing time outs but I think it was in the last 6-8 months. She will be 3 in a month. We have been lucky that she really hates them so they are effective. Not sure what to do if you have a kiddo that could care less about them.... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We started doing time-outs right before he turned 2. If we're downstairs, he does timeouts in his old Pac-n-Play (he hasn't played in it for a year but he's still under the weight limit). Upstairs, he goes into a corner of his room facing the wall.

The key to doing timeouts is being very consistent. If he tries to move away or run, you calmly and without a word place him back into the time-out spot. At first you have to do this a billion times in a row until they get it. It's tiring and time consuming, but eventually they get it and stay put for the full amount of time.

You don't want to hold them there or engage in a power struggle or talk. All that does is give them attention and then they think it's a game.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We don't do specific time outs but we do make them sit down and cool off. I can't stand them wandering and throwing a fit, LOL. We have a chair in the living room where they sit and calm down until they've gathered themselves together. Sometimes DD prefers the couch, for whatever reason. Both never try and get up and they understand they can get up once they are done. 
  • imageBlondangel:

We started doing time-outs right before he turned 2. If we're downstairs, he does timeouts in his old Pac-n-Play (he hasn't played in it for a year but he's still under the weight limit). Upstairs, he goes into a corner of his room facing the wall.

The key to doing timeouts is being very consistent. If he tries to move away or run, you calmly and without a word place him back into the time-out spot. At first you have to do this a billion times in a row until they get it. It's tiring and time consuming, but eventually they get it and stay put for the full amount of time.

You don't want to hold them there or engage in a power struggle or talk. All that does is give them attention and then they think it's a game.

this, you don't want it to turn into a power struggle.  Downstairs it's against the wall in the living room, anywhere else it's wherever looks good.  She knows to stay when I tell her she's in time out, although every few weeks she still tests me and gets up once. 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If we are at home, she sits on the bottom stair. She can't see anything fun from there.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Against the wall in a corner for about 30 sec. We call time out "the corner".

• It depends. Sometimes its her rocking chair in the corner in the living room, if she is really carrying on she goes to her room where she can thrash herself around all she likes. She knows she can come out once she has calmed down and is ready to "be nice" again.  If we are out in public, it's just wherever I tell her to sit. Like PPs said, its more about not letting them continue in the activity that they were doing that where they sit.
    imageimage
  • We have a gate that divides our house and I just put DD on the other side and close it.  We only use it for hitting/pushing, but seems to be effective.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"