March 2013 Moms

Strawberry birthmark - STM

Our baby has a small strawberry birthmark on his forehead.  The pedi says it might raise and get bigger but will eventually go away.  Does anyone have any experiences with this?  How long til it went away?  It might be covered up by his hairline but right now he's actually losing some of his hair!  :)  TIA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Strawberry birthmark - STM

• My son has two, one right on his shoulder and one smaller one of his side.

It started growing really quickly [probably around 3ish weeks is when growth started]. The pedi said it could raise up and grow up to a year [i think she said about 2 to 3 inches is the biggest it could get] then it would eventually turn white and shrink in size. You would never know he had one.

DS was 7 weeks yesterday and I haven't noticed it growing in the last couple of weeks. They are both raised and the one of his shoulder is probably about an inch and a half total in diameter, the one of his side is probably less than an inch.

• Hi,

My ten-year-old had a: 

Strawberry Hemangioma - What to Expect

So in her case, it started a few days after she was born as a tiny red pin-prick.  It grew over a couple months.  It ended up raised about 1/8" and about an inch by 3/4 of an inch.  It looked exactly like a pale pink strawberry.  

Lots of people freaked out when they saw it (it was on the inside of her upper arm).  I couldn't get freaked out--she was totally healthy and it would go away eventually.  Sheesh, I had more stuff to worry about!

She is now 10 and it is almost totally gone.  When I say that, I mean it is not detectable at all by those who don't know it existed.  Those in the family who know to look can see the very pale pink dots where it was.  

If it is on your baby's face, I can imagine that would be distressing, but take consolation that it likely will fade to be all but invisible.  Our pediatrician at the time said not to do any kind of laser or removal efforts as that would create scarring that was likely not even needed!

Anyway, just wanted you to hear a tale from the trenches. : ) Good luck! 

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• Loading the player...
  • My niece was born with one on her head.  Actually, 2 other people in my DH's family also had them when they are born.  My niece is now 19mo and it is completely gone.  The other 2 people also had them go away before they were in school.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My son was born with one on the back of his neck. While it is still there and sizable I also was born with the same birthmark and it has since shrunk to a very small mark and my hair completely covers it. So I'm sure his will fade and shrink in time too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My DD1 had a tiny one on the bridge of her nose that went away by 8 mo didn't grow. She had another on her rib cage that grew grew puffed up a lot. It finally stopped growing around 8mo old was the size of a quarter approximately. It gradually faded flattened to just being a slightly odd mark on her skin by 6yrs old. It's stayed like that ever since.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"