April 2013 Moms

Water

Who gives their LO water? My pedi says no but all my friends with kids and parents say LO needs water. What's your take on it.?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                                                  

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

Re: Water

• Whatever you?re feeding your babe is almost all water (whether it be breast milk or formula).  I think it?s a bad idea this young.  My doc told me up to a year, they get all the water they need from their breast milk or formula.

I think the fear is that if you give them water now, they may not take as much milk, which is really what they need to grow.  Plus, like I said, they?re getting plenty hydrated from whatever they?re eating. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 
  • imageRNfromMN:

Whatever you?re feeding your babe is almost all water (whether it be breast milk or formula).  I think it?s a bad idea this young.  My doc told me up to a year, they get all the water they need from their breast milk or formula.

I think the fear is that if you give them water now, they may not take as much milk, which is really what they need to grow.  Plus, like I said, they?re getting plenty hydrated from whatever they?re eating. 

My pedi said the same thing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We introduced water to DD when she was about 8 months old. Even then, it was only really so she could practice drinking from a sippy cup. They definitely don't need water this young.
    BFP #1: 5-14-2010, DD born 1-22-2011
    BFP #2: 4-20-2012, Natural MC 5-1-2012
    BFP #3: 7-19-2012, DS born 3-27-2013
    BFP #4: 9-13-2014, MMC discovered 10-27-14 at 10w, d&c on 11-6-14 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageEIsieMae:
    We introduced water to DD when she was about 8 months old. Even then, it was only really so she could practice drinking from a sippy cup. They definitely don't need water this young.

Same here.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMsAmeera25:
    Who gives their LO water? My pedi says no but all my friends with kids and parents say LO needs water. What's your take on it.?

Dude, listen to the person with a medical degree and a specialty in pediatrics. 

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • I don't intend to give my LO water because her electrolytes can deplete so quickly. They don't need water this early. 
  • Why do you want to give your little one water now?

It is not recommend until 6 months. 

• imageagytay:
    Why do you want to give your little one water now?It is not recommend until 6 months.nbsp;

I dont WANT to give him water i'm just curious as to who is because it seems about 80 of the ppl I have spoken to recently have said I should give LO water and I dont get their reasoning. It's just a question.

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• once DD was 6mos old and we were going to the beach, ped recommended it.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not for months yet. Breast milk is all she needs until around 6 months. Same as solids!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • imagemypalbabs:

imageMsAmeera25:

Dude, listen to the person with a medical degree and a specialty in pediatrics. 

Umm yeah. Water is fine once baby starts solids. Before that it can throw off their electrolyte balance and make them very sick.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I've been asked the same by my mom and mother-in-law and they always say they gave their kids water at this age. Her ped said not to. This is one of the reasons I'm scared to leave her overnight with them.

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• imagehatroopes:
    I've been asked the same by my mom and mother-in-law and they always say they gave their kids water at this age. Her ped said not to. This is one of the reasons I'm scared to leave her overnight with them.

This exactly! Most of the ppl telling me this are in my parents age group they keep saying water doesn't hurt. I'm thinking it's more of an old school thing. 

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"