One & Done: Only child

GTKY!

lets all get to know each other:

-What made you decide to be one and done?

-Have you taken your lo on vacation? If so, where? did they enjoy it?

-What made you decide on the name you chose for lo?

-Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc?

-What is your dream car?

-What is your dream vacation?

-Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school?

plus add your own after you answer!

Re: GTKY!

• -What made you decide to be one and done? Like I said in my intro we always thought we would have 2 now that lo is here we feel totally complete

-Have you taken your lo on vacation? If so, where? did they enjoy it? not yet but we are planning a trip for next summer to either destin or sanibel island fl

-What made you decide on the name you chose for lo? we were between Reagan and Morgan and waited until she arrived to decide, when we first saw her we instantly knew she was a Reagan

-Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc? 2 rescue dogs, named Luke and Leia

-What is your dream car? honestly i dont even have one

-What is your dream vacation? Australia or a month touring Europe

-Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school? public, we bought our house based on it being in a good school district

• 1. It just felt right

2. Not yet, she is only 4 months

3. My husband really liked the name

4. Cat

5. I don't care too much about cars

6. France

7. Public but maybe private for high school 

• Loading the player...
  • -What made you decide to be one and done?

I feel complete with my family. 

Yes. We live on the west coast and took him to the east coast. He was only 7 months old but this year I think will be better (he'll be 20 months). 

It was the only name we both loved for a boy. 

2 dogs and a breaded dragon. 

-What is your dream car?

Audi R8 but I'd settle for the A3 TDI ;)

Russia. I want to go so bad for my 30th bday which happens to be the year they hold the Olympics but I don't think DH has gotten tickets yet.

Haven't really thought of it. I guess it depends on where we end up. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lets all get to know each other:
    What made you decide to be one and done? Lots of reasons...
    Have you taken your lo on vacation? If so, where? did they enjoy it? We have done a few weekend trips and visited my sister in Arizona a few times.
    What made you decide on the name you chose for lo? Her first name is my grandmas name, middle is gmils name.
    Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc? 2 mutts.
    What is your dream car? I kinda want a station wagon. Lol.
    What is your dream vacation? I would love to go to Europe.
    Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school? Public. We don't really have good private school options.

• What made you decide to be one and done? Dh. Now that I have one, I can't imagine adding to our family.
    Have you taken your lo on vacation? If so, where? did they enjoy it? We rent a beach house each summer. DS loves it. I can't wait to go back.
    What made you decide on the name you chose for lo? Another dh decision. I wanted Holden after my favorite character. Incidentally, salinger died the day my induction was scheduled the day he died.
    Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc? We have one small dog. We've nicknamed him Dino: dog in name only
    What is your dream car? I had a Wrangler before getting pregnant. Dh drives it now.
    What is your dream vacation? someplace on the beach.
    Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school? We will probably do private because they have an extended day. Private school will cost less than we're currently paying for daycare.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebridetobemo:

-What made you decide to be one and done? We are still not 100%, but we have a really difficult child. I don't know that I have it in me to raise another child.

-Have you taken your lo on vacation? If so, where? did they enjoy it? Yes, we went to Vancouver, BC in October. He didn't have a lot of fun.

-What made you decide on the name you chose for lo? It was a name we were considering but hadn't decided on yet. About a month before I was due, we drove to the top of the mountain and saw the name carved out in the snow. We took it for a sign and went with it.

-Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc? We have a turtle, and a couple cats that are living with my parents right now.

-What is your dream car? I don't really have one. Cars are not my thing.

-What is your dream vacation? A safari in Africa

-Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school? Private

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

LO is an IVF baby, I developed severe Pre-eclampsia and HELLP Syndrome with LO, suffered from crushing PPD and I'm 41 years old (and tired!).  What about that list says, "Let's do this again!"  Plus, DH wanted just one (but was willing to have a second).  And, DH has been deployed two out of the last four years. 

My LO is a great traveler.  By the time he was ten months old, he'd been on 14 airplanes.  He's been to Florida twice, California, Kansas (we went there in 2010 to pick-up DH from his deployment), and New York State (Rochester and the North Country).  Since moving to Germany, LO has been to different parts of Germany, Paris. France and Zurich, Switzerland (nothing like having your threenager pitch an epic tantrum, literally, on the side of a mountain in the Swiss Alps!).  LO loves to be on the go.  Provided he's slept enough and has eaten, there are very few activities that he does not enjoy.  

When DH was younger, he had to write an assignment using a pseudonym.  Being the history lover, he chose Grant Lee.  My MIL mentioned this is a story and it really stuck with me.  We chose my FIL's middle name as LO's middle name. (I believe the full name is in my signature.)  Deciding our boy name was easy.  

Our girl name took longer, especially since it took us two years to get pregnant.  Before we started trying, I fell in love with the name Emmeline.  At first, DH was not a fan, but he eventually came around.  But, by the time we started our IVF cycle, I was not so in love any more.  As I was coming out of anesthesia from the egg retrieval, my nurse leaned over and introduced herself.  "My name is Everly and I'm here to take care of you."  Immediately, I knew that was our new girl name.  We settled on Everly Grace on the two hour drive home.  Grace is my paternal grandmother's name.  Evelyn is my maternal grandmother's name--Everly would be a nod to her.  Seeing that we are OAD, I won't get to use my girl name.  :(

We have one dog who is spoiled rotten!  He is a Boston Terrier and six years old.    

-What is your dream car?

I'd love a Mercedes B220.  But, I can't really complain, we've ordered a Mini Clubman S since we need a second vehicle.  It will be delivered next month!!!

Bali 

It depends where we live.  Ideally, I'd like to live in an area with strong public schools.  But, if private school is a much better option, that's the route we'll go. 

When DH retires from the military, we will likely end up back in NoVA.  If that happens, there is a partial German emersion elementary school there that I hope to get LO into.  I want to help support his second language skills as best we can.  

If we end up somewhere else, and there is a private school that would support LO's German skills, I would investigate that option.  But, it all depends upon where we end up in a few years. 

• -What made you decide to be one and done? Lots of reasons. Health (complicated pregnancy, bedrest over a month, preemie, etc), financial, just felt done.

-Have you taken your lo on vacation? If so, where? did they enjoy it? Every year!  I think her biggest one was Niagara Falls, she loved that!

-What made you decide on the name you chose for lo? Husband left the first part up to me, because he didn't feel "passionate" about any certain name. So I made a huge list of my absolutely favorites, then he went through and crossed off what he really didn't like. We were left with 10. After the ultrasound, we found out it was a girl.. and Alexis honestly just jumped out at us from the list.

-Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc? We have one cat, Boris.

-What is your dream car? One that drives us where we need to be ;) I don't really have one.

-What is your dream vacation? I'd love to visit Hawaii.

-Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school? She's in first grade, and goes to a public school.  All the private schools in our city are religious based, and we're not really into that.. so there's no choice.

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • dup post.

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC

• -What made you decide to be one and done? Medical reasons and age. Decison was made for us.

-Have you taken your lo on vacation? If so, where? did they enjoy it? We keep count for fun, and DS has been on 26 flight (if you count connections). Maine every summer. NY to visit family, MA, PA, and a few other states. Farthest he has been was Italy. Great traveler most of the time. 

-What made you decide on the name you chose for lo? DS is named after his two great grandfathers.

-Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc? Nope.

-What is your dream car? Don't have one.....

-What is your dream vacation? Hard to narrow it down. We've been talking about Costa Rica.

-Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school? Elementary public school is great, but middle school not so hot. We'll readdress in a few years. One nice thing about being one and done is that we will be able to send him to private school if it makes the most sense.

Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • - mainly just what we both wanted but also my age, length of time TTC, colicky/refluxy/MSPI horrible sleeping baby, PPD

- not yet, she just turned one and her first vacation will be in July... Same placed where she was conceived actually!

- Lillian Virginia. Virginia is my late grandmothers name who I was very close to. We both really liked Lillian and when I mentioned it he immediately said yes, although I originally said Lilliana. He said Lillian and I said ok!

- yes, a greyhound who is 7.5 years old

- Maserati, Porsche

- not sure yet 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • -What made you decide to be one and done? medical reasons and DH's age

-Have you taken your lo on vacation? If so, where? did they enjoy it? We took her to Glen Arbor and Traverse City, MI last Sept. She was 7mo old, but she loved looking at the water and putting her feet in the sand! We are going back this Sept (we go yearly for our anniversary) and I think she'll have a lot more fun this time. We're also going to Italy this summer for 2 weeks and Florida/Disney in February (this is a yearly trip for us too, normally, since my parents have a home there. We haven't been since I was 8w pregnant and I can't wait to go back!)

-What made you decide on the name you chose for lo? Her middle name is the same as my middle name (it was my grandma's first name). We just liked her first name.

-Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc? 3 cats.

-What is your dream car? I don't really have a "dream" car. I really love my Chrysler 200 though :) It's loaded and easily the nicest vehicle I've ever had!

-What is your dream vacation? We have so many trips planned in our head. I don't think there's any one that I want over another.

-Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school? We're not sure. We live in a fantastic school district, but since we only have DD we can afford to send her to private school. There's a great K-8 private option at our church, but for high school there aren't any close options.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• imagebridetobemo:

-What made you decide to be one and done?  For most of my life I was in the "I never want kids camp" met the DH and decided one would be nice.  Another would be okay...but my age, finances, etc....we decided one is fine.

-Have you taken your lo on vacation? If so, where? did they enjoy it?  No...July will be a short one for a family reunion.

-What made you decide on the name you chose for lo?  It was just a name we both mutually agreed on early in the pregnancy (actually we just fell in love with the name) but not rhyme or reason really why it stuck with us.

-Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc?  An elderly chow/shepard mix (Dakota) and a middle-aged long-hair tortie (Patches)

-What is your dream car?  Not what it used to be.  I am on my second Jeep GC and love it so perhaps the latest model fully loaded.

-What is your dream vacation?  Rome

-Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school?  Private unless circumstances change and we are able to move before she starts school.

• imagebridetobemo:

-What made you decide to be one and done?  Many reasons, but mainly because the first year was hard on our marriage and now the 3 of us are all incredibly happy.

-Have you taken your lo on vacation? If so, where? did they enjoy it?  Not yet.  DS is 17 months, so we're starting to think about it.

-What made you decide on the name you chose for lo?  Its a really long story.

-Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc?  2 cats that very spoiled.

-What is your dream car?  I'm so not a car person.  I drive a Hyundai Sante Fe and love it.

-Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school?  Public school.  We have excellent public schools in our area and very few private school options.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16

Still deciding! 

We took DS to Key West last year for a wedding. It was really stressful for me b/c of my PPA, but I think he enjoyed it? He was only 1.5! I just took him up to MA last month to visit my parents and he LOVED it. We're all going to the OBX this June, and he's super excited. 

We knew we would use an "E" after DH's late grandmother, so we were Team Green with two names in the delivery room. 

One totally psychotic pain-in-the-a$$ dog. 

-What is your dream car?

A clean, Cheerio-free one! 

A kid-free trip to Vancouver, British Columbia and Alaska! 

Public. We live in an area with a very good elementary school and a "meh" middle school, so we'll plan to move before then.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lots of things...probably the biggest is what we can give to one child versus two or more, not only in terms of financial/material things but also in terms of our time and attention. We both work full-time and also have other activities we're involved in. Also DH is an only and has always only wanted one child.

Yes, sort of...to visit DH's parents in Florida, both last year and this year. He had a good time...I think his favorite thing was going to the aquarium there.

It started as kind of an inside joke when I was pregnant, and then the name just grew on us. It is a "normal" name, though, not one of the yoo-nique ones. :)

Yes--one cat

-What is your dream car?

I'm not really that into cars...a car is a means to an end for me.

Any vacation that is more than 1 week, lol. Maybe a cruise around the world? Or a month or so somewhere tropical and not too touristy.

Public school...because of this we are currently reevaluating where we live, and may move to a different school district before he starts school.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

I have never wanted it any other way. I'm even happier with our decision now that DD is here because I love our family dynamic with just her.

Not yet. We are trying to plan one for this summer. I suspect she will love it because she loves going places. 

She shares her first name with my grandmother. Middle name is after one of my favorite fictional characters. (It's Alice. Not from Twilight.)

2 cats. 

-What is your dream car?

Ugh I don't know anymore. I used to drive a Mini S that was my dream car at the time, but I would never buy another one again. If money were no object I would say Aston Martin Vantage.

Italy, but more realistic is taking DD back to Turks & Caicos where we got married.

Public for sure. I went to an all girls private school for 12 years and while the education was good, that atmosphere was really damaging. I ended up choosing to go to public school for my senior year and liked it SO much better. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagebridetobemo:

Time, money, and wicked post partum issues.

Yup, we went to the Cayman Islands when he was 7mths. He loved it and I did too but I found it a bit too stressful

it was the only one we could agree on. 

No pets, too many allergies. 

-What is your dream car?

None, wait maybe a Volvo cause their supposed to be safe I guess.

Private island somewhere

Public.

• meo34meo34 member

Health issues.

yes, ever since he was 6 months and now he is 7. One og the best parts of one and done.  We have been florida 3 times, san diego, los angelos twice, las vegas, new york city, bahamas, ontario.  He loves to travel. 

-What made you decide on the name you chose for lo? A movie we were watching when we first were married and even thinking of trying

-Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc? A dog and a hamster

-What is your dream car? Vw beetle

-What is your dream vacation? Tuscany, italy

-Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school? Public

• Hi everyone! I was a Bumpie a few years back, and am now back just because of this board. Sorry I'm late to the party on this post....

My medical history, the journey to DD, and finances. DD was pg #4- we just couldn't go through that roller coaster again. I'm also diabetic and have a heart issue, so the pregnancy itself was really stressful. And, having kids is expensive, yo.

-Have you taken your lo on vacation?

Just for weekend trips to the beach to visit my dad. We'd like to go on a cruise in the next year or two. I think she would love it!

We both just loved it! We didn't agree on many names, so the choice was pretty easy.

A Great Dane named Shelby. She's a great dog, but man, she SHEDS.

-What is your dream car?

A new Acura TL. 

Hmmm... Probably Australia!

Public. We're not religious, and the only private schools around are very religious.

• J+MSJ+MS member
    imagebridetobemo:

-What made you decide to be one and done?Traumatic delivery and recovery/ career and life choices

-Have you taken your lo on vacation? If so, where? did they enjoy it? We went to Great Wolf Lodge last fall. She had a blast.

-What made you decide on the name you chose for lo?Grey's anatomy. I'm not kidding.

-Do you have any pets? If so cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, etc?no pets

-What is your dream car? Audi TT. sooo hot.

-What is your dream vacation?somewhere secluded, nothing but a beach and alcohol.

-Do you plan on sending lo to public school or private school? either. depends on where we end up.

"Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"