January 2013 Moms

Onesies as outfits?

This may be a silly question, but we received a lot of really cute onesies as gifts, and I'm not sure how they're meant to be worn. In colder weather I've been using them as undershirts under her sleepers, but now it's starting to get warmer. Do you buy separate pants to go with them, or do they just wear them barelegged? And if it's the latter, do you put socks on them? We live in Wisconsin so it's only 60 degrees here and may not get hot for awhile.

Re: Onesies as outfits?

• I usually put on a pair of sweat pants or jeans with them! In the summer I plan to pair them with shorts, unless we are just hanging around the house then we skip pants!

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I do the same as the pp. We have a couple pairs of cute sweatpants or footed pants that we put over the onesies. Short sleeved onesies on warmer days, long sleeved on the cooler days. As for socks I tend to go with how I'm feeling, if I have cold feet then I put socks on my LO too. For naps we're still swaddling LO so for him not to get too warm I usually take the pants off and leave socks on. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a couple pair of jeans and baby jeggings for DS. The jeggings are so cute, not a fan of them on adults, but adorable on babies! They work great with all the onesies we have that are not part of an outfit. I am in Illinois so we pretty much have the same weather as you.
  • DS is in just a onesie right now but I live in Florida and it's already ridiculously hot out. His back gets really hot in his car seat when it's warm out. We pair them with pants, jeans, and shorts or just wear them bare legged. I don't think there's a "right way" to wear them!

ETA: He did have a onesie and shorts on earlier but he blew out his diaper in the car. Always a good time!
  • S wears them with footed sweatpants at home and with jeans/jeggins/shorts or skirts and leggins/corduroys/etc when going out. It's still pretty chilly here

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • I pair them with jeans, pants, shorts and skirts.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Unless we're inside and it's really hot my LO wears onesies underneath something (like overalls or pants/shorts).

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • same as pp, but when it's chilly i also put a plain long sleeve onesie underneath to layer them.
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If we are around the house that's usually all he's wearing. We went to breakfast this morning and I put shorts on him. No socks today because its warm. It really depends on the weather and where we are.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • EagsEags member
    Like other posters, we use them with pants shorts when it warms up or just by themselves. I do try to make sure he has on bottoms if he hasn't pooped yet, otherwise we might have blowout that's not contained.
    6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • I usually pair them with pants on colder days. If were just lounging around the house, I will let her go without the pants with socks. My DD likes to have her legs swaddled while napping so I make sure to take off her pants to prevent her from being too warm.
  • imageNortyLeigh:
    DS is in just a onesie right now but I live in Florida and it's already ridiculously hot out. His back gets really hot in his car seat when it's warm out. We pair them with pants, jeans, and shorts or just wear them bare legged. I don't think there's a "right way" to wear them!

ETA: He did have a onesie and shorts on earlier but he blew out his diaper in the car. Always a good time!

Same here

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • We layer some of her short sleeve onesies with a white onesie underneath.  In the summer they work for jammies when it's hot, pair with bottoms (shorts, skirts, pants), or wear alone.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DS always wears onesies....a onesie, either sweat pants or jeans and a pair of socks. What does your LO usually wear as a shirt?

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• We paid up Los onzies with jeans or little sweat pants. With socks. Normally looks cute and he's comfortable
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejobiann:
    DS always wears onesies....a onesie, either sweat pants or jeans and a pair of socks. What does your LO usually wear as a shirt?

She has been wearing onesies that came as part of a coordinated outfit, or sleepers. It's the packs of onesies that have no coordinating pants that threw me, since I didn't have any "basics" to go with them.

Thanks for all your responses! I went out and bought a couple pairs of pants and shorts today and I'm excited to mix and match!

• When it was still a little cooler here, I'd put my little one in a onesie with some leg warmers.  My husband kept telling me that boys don't wear leg warmers...so we wore them when my husband wasn't around.  :+)

I also bought some cloth diapers that have velcro closures.  I've been putting these on over his disposable diaper and short-sleeve onesie.  This makes the cloth diapers look like little shorts with gathered legs.  I can tell already that my son will be living in these this summer.  They are cute cute cute!!!

I don't like onesies by themselves...especially on girls.  It just looks like an incomplete outfit.  I have so much fun dressing my little one - he has to be styling all the time.  :+)

• imagekaryn3:
    My husband kept telling me that boys don't wear leg warmers...

They sure do!

OP, my son wears onesies with leg warmers pretty much exclusively. As its been warmer over the past week, he's been going bare legged for part of the day. We're all about comfort and function for him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"