Parenting

Paying part time sitter for days off?

We use a sitter twice a week on the days that DH and I both work I am part time.

We will he going away for a little over a week for a mandatory family destination wedding so we would not need her for 3 days. With our other sitters, they never asked to be paid for the days we didn't need them. She didn't demand that we pay her. But she did ask if we were planning to even if it was half the rate.

If she worked for us full time, I would understand doing paid days off but i didn't know what people normally did for part time sitters. We are also very understanding of her schedule and if there are days that she can't come, we accomodate that.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Paying part time sitter for days off?

• I haven't been in this position, but unless you had some sort of contract or it was someone going out of their way for you all the time, I would not.  Part time work does not get the benefits of full time work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a very PT sitter too, 7 to 12 hrs a week. We have a contract w her and it states that if we give her 3 weeks notice or more we don't pay, if we give her less than that we pay at half the normal rate. If she takes time off for sick or personal reasons we don't pay.

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with pp. I would not pay her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pretty audacious of your sitter to ask IMO. It would've never occurred to me to pay for services of a part time sitter. I think I would either decline on the basis that she is PT or pay this once and get it in writing that she won't be getting this treatment in the future as long as she continues PT. And lol at "mandatory destination wedding" :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • I would agree that if you gave her ample notice you don't need to pay her. I could understand if you sprung it on her last minute and she wasn't able to plan for it financially, but if you've given her notice and there's no contract in place I wouldn't pay her. What do you do if you're sick and don't use her for a day? Has that come up?
  • IMO, part time work does not reap full time benefits. 
    Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • For the most part, I am follow the "part time work =/= full time benefits" rule.

HOWEVER, child care is different.  For the most part, part time care is harder to find for the parents and harder to manage for the provider.  The reason being, it is part time and not consistent.

How often do we discuss how evil the major corporations like Wal~Mart is for keeping their employees at part time to keep them from benefits.  How many posts have we written demonizing those employers who are cutting hours to keep from having to pay for Obamacare?

But its perfectly ok to NOT pay your regular/weekly babysitter, who keeps her schedule open for your part time needs, because she is part time.

That part-time  but WEEKLY/REGULAR gig could be what is keeping her house running....

So while she is wrong for not having that in her contract before this happened, do not be surprised if she doesn't write it in to the contract at the end of the year OR write up a contract period.

Also, every part-time but weekly/regular sitter I have ever known does actually do this because they HAVE created a part-time schedule to equal a full time income.  They specialize in part-time to cover a very needed part of the daycare market. 

Just saying.  

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • No.

If she was full-time, then yes. But, if this vacation has been planned and she has been aware of it for months, then no. She had ample time to rearrange her finances as needed or pick up extra time at another job, if she has one. My sister has nannied for five years, as well as many of her friends, and the only time she is paid when her charges are OOT is when she is house sitting for the family.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• imageIlumine:

For the most part, I am follow the "part time work =/= full time benefits" rule.

HOWEVER, child care is different.  For the most part, part time care is harder to find for the parents and harder to manage for the provider.  The reason being, it is part time and not consistent.

How often do we discuss how evil the major corporations like Wal~Mart is for keeping their employees at part time to keep them from benefits.  How many posts have we written demonizing those employers who are cutting hours to keep from having to pay for Obamacare?

But its perfectly ok to NOT pay your regular/weekly babysitter, who keeps her schedule open for your part time needs, because she is part time.

That part-time  but WEEKLY/REGULAR gig could be what is keeping her house running....

So while she is wrong for not having that in her contract before this happened, do not be surprised if she doesn't write it in to the contract at the end of the year OR write up a contract period.

Also, every part-time but weekly/regular sitter I have ever known does actually do this because they HAVE created a part-time schedule to equal a full time income.  They specialize in part-time to cover a very needed part of the daycare market. 

Just saying.  

Agree with all this! Also, I LOVE our sitter so much, so I look at it in the grand scheme of things...do I want to do what I can to keep this person that I love, and who takes care of my kid, feeling like she is valued and appreciated, and compensated reasonably? Yes. To me, it's worth it.

This is a significant reason that I wanted to have a contract, even though she started very part time.

• I'm not sure if this is the same, but I use an in home daycare provider for both of my kids (1 is FT, 1 is PT).  For the situation you are describing, I do pay her regular pay for my FT child but I do not pay her anything for my PT child (per our contract).

Do you have a contract with her?  If not, this is a good situation to bring up and discuss what needs to happen should things like this happen in the future.  If it is only a couple of days a week I'd probably go ahead and pay her.  OR, why don't you have her watch your house for you and her babysitter pay can be switched to house sitter pay?

I think it is bold of her to ask about payment when she is part time; however, I don't know your or her situation.  I'd probably pay her at least this time with the discussion of what will happen in the future, that way you both know what to expect.

• If it were me I would pay her. Part time or not, she takes care of your child. Its a very important job. She may need this money to make ends meet. I don't think it was rude of her to ask either.. people need to plan their budget. And so if this wasn't discussed before, its very understandable of her to ask.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"