March 2013 Moms

Won't take a bottle...

Does anyone have suggestions to help my 8 week old take a bottle? I've tried off and on since 4 weeks and when my mom watched her for us she also tried...I've tried 4 different kinds of bottles and she hates it so much. I need to get her to take the bottle soon since I go back to work the end of may and I'd love to be able to leave her for longer stretches at some point :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Won't take a bottle...

• That's tough. My pedi said to make sure to introduce a bottle before 1 month otherwise it's difficult to get them to take one.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemilkergirl1:

imagejennylyna:
    That's tough. My pedi said to make sure to introduce a bottle before 1 month otherwise it's difficult to get them to take one.

This is an interesting idea-introducing a bottle before one month.  People are so worried about nipple confusion that most don't recommend introducing a bottle until at least one month.  But I think people stress a little too much about nipple confusion, especially with a pacifier, imo.

To OP, here is the link for kellymom's advice for bottle feeding:

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

I can see where it could be a problem if BF isn't firmly established. In our case, LO had no problems with the breast or a bottle. But she hates a pacifier!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried Tommee Tippee bottles? We've found those worked with our LO who won't take other bottle brands.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I read a lot about breastfeeding while pregnant and read the whole do before a month deal actually it said try between 34 weeks because they are still open to new ways of eating and it won't cause nipple confusion...now I wish I didn't live so religiously by what I read. I did try a bottle a couple of times before the 4 weeks and she hated it then and I also waited on trying a pacifier for a couple of weeks. She hates both and I think it's just the type of baby she is and has nothing to do with waiting she breastfeeds like a champ and I don't think trying anything would have changed that, but maybe if I wasn't so worried about nipple confusion I would have tried more earlier on with the bottle again I think she still hates both just because but now I feel like I'm rushing to get her to take a bottle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're having trouble getting her to take a bottle, but my best advice and the only thing that works for us, is I have to be as far away from the baby as possible if she's going to take the bottle. And try to give it to her at the time of day when she is hungriest.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"