May 2013 Moms

Black out curtains?

Did you buy black out curtains for the nursery, or regular? I'm trying to decide right now, between pretty and practical. If you did black outs, did you find anything pretty? All I see is plain and boring.

Re: Black out curtains?

• We bought regular from pottery barn kids, but I did notice they had blackout ones too. They come in different colors and look just like the regular ones.
  • I bought some from pottery barn kids for both of my kids rooms. They are really cute and work really well. A lot of light comes into our windows upstairs so they make it a lot darker for nap time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We ordered black out curtains from www.babybedding.com and they are really cute. We chose a chevron orange and white print, and they have all colors, patterns, and designs available. You have the ability to design them yourself. 
  • I have been told not to buy blackout curtains I typically put them in all the bedrooms because it easier for kids to get confused whether it's naptime or bedtime, you want them to know the difference.
  • I bought heavy white curtains from ikea and sewed in some blackout lining I bought at Joann's. it doesn't make it pitch black during the day but it helps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• imagelindsay.n.harman:
    We ordered black out curtains from www.babybedding.com and they are really cute. We chose a chevron orange and white print, and they have all colors, patterns, and designs available. You have the ability to design them yourself. 

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! I just ordered the taupe chevron with the lining. :)

Thanks everyone for the ideas! 

They won't make our room totally dark, because we have a stationary window at the peak of the roof that doesn't have a curtain, but hopefully it will help soften the light dramatically in the room. 

• We did blackout because the window is really huge. Ours are from RH Baby & Child. They are white/off white and they look really nice in the room.  I guess they are "boring" in the sense that they are just off white, but they are a very heavy, nice quality fabric and we put them high above the window to create even more of an illusion that the window is even larger. I am not really into busy curtains though...so I may not be the right person to talk to. One option is to buy whatever curtains you want and then put a blackout panel behind them.
  • imageTheyCalledHerKate:
    We did blackout because the window is really huge. Ours are from RH Baby amp; Child. They are white/off white and they look really nice in the room. nbsp;I guess they are "boring" in the sense that they are just off white, but they are a very heavy, nice quality fabric and we put them high above the window to create even more of an illusion that the window is even larger. I am not really into busy curtains though...so I may not be the right person to talk to. One option is to buy whatever curtains you want and then put a blackout panel behind them.

My first choice was white with grommets, so I definitely don't think they sound boring! They sound classic! I just didn't want plain beige. No offense to anyone who has though, but that bores me. Lol
  • I got black out ones. We live in northern BC in Canada and in the summer it's light until 11 at night so it was a need for us. I ended up just going with a neutral color. But if you want to get fancy you could get pretty material and sew black out backing on it.
  • For tiny babies it doesn't matter so much. But next spring, when DST goes into effect and it's still broad daylight when you're putting you 9 month old to bed, you will be thankful for them!
  • Black out all the way!! I took a baby sleep seminar when DS1 was infant and the lady was a sleep expert from Harvard. She said over and over again how necessary it is to have a dark, dark room, even for naps.
  • We have blinds and valences. The windows aren't anywhere near where LO will be so I'm not worried about the blinds being a hazard.
  • I found cute pink black out curtains in the baby section at Ross for super cheap. I was quite pleased with my find.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have black out blinds in every room.

Love them. That way curtains are not limited.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • imagewcvsb3b5:
    We have blinds and valences. The windows aren't anywhere near where LO will be so I'm not worried about the blinds being a hazard.

That's what we have too.  If it turns out to be a problem, we'll reevaluate.

My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJohnsonShmonson:
    I found cute pink black out curtains in the baby section at Ross for super cheap. I was quite pleased with my find.

That is awesome! I have been hunting at my local Ross and Home Goods, but no luck. My mom arrives on Saturday, and right now the windows are bare and she'll be staying in there, so I had to give up the bargain hunt. Well, for curtains at least.
  • Just an FYI - you can buy black out liners (we got ours from Target) and hang a double curtain rod so that you can use both the cute curtains and the blackouts :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• We bought pink black outs at BRU. They are cute enough :) They block out light, noise and cold/heat.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageelmoali:
    Just an FYI - you can buy black out liners (we got ours from Target) and hang a double curtain rod so that you can use both the cute curtains and the blackouts :)

This is what we did too. Well, will do once I finish the "pretty" curtains I am sewing.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Never had them for DS. He sleeps just fine in the afternoons without. I wouldn't want to condition them to need darkness top sleep.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • imagewatermelon mom:
    Never had them for DS. He sleeps just fine in the afternoons without. I wouldn't want to condition them to need darkness top sleep.

The great thing is that you don't have to condition them any one way. You can tie the curtains back during the day if darkness to sleep is an issue.  

• wjvwjv member
    With my son we had regular curtains at first and then switched to blackout.  I am glad we did. It helped during nap time and in the early morning.  Ours don't totally shut out the light, so there is still a distinction between day and night.
    Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"