November 2011 Moms

Car Seat Facing

I know that the law says they have to be rear-facing until one, but the pediatricians highly suggest 2 years.

What have you all done? Is your Nov 2011 baby still rear-facing?

Re: Car Seat Facing

• DD is still rear-facing and so is her almost 3 yearold big brother.  My kids are peanuts so they will rear-face as long as their carseats allow for.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • DD2 is still RF.  I switched DD1 at 21 months.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD is still rear-face in my car... and still in her infant bucket seat too!  She's a peanut.  DH switched the car seat around in his car so she's FF.  It makes me nervous, but he only drives with her around our little suburb and we usually take my car for longer trips. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My pedi said one year was fine to switch so we did but only because she would just scream in the car but now she does better. I wish she was still RF but this is what works.

Edit:sp
  • We plan on rearfacing as long as possible. She'll be 10 and still be rearfacing. Just kidding. But seriously, I hope to switch her at 2.5 or 3. :-)
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We are forward facing now.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Still rear probably until she turns 2.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are also still rear facing. Not planning in switching anytime soon
  • I'll RF as long as possible.  (I read that somewhere (parts of Europe?) they recommend RF until 4 or something!)  However, there is no way we can fit two RF seats in our current car so DD will probably stay RF until/if we have another LO.  (Which - since I'm not pregnant yet - would mean DD is at least older than 2 - closer to 2.5...)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're staying RF as long as possible-- both boys (1.5 and 2.5) are.

• We just switched DS for forward facing. It really bothers me that individual people and organizations are making recommendations that might go against the manufacturer's recommendations based on their product. We followed what our car seat manufacturer's guidelines are. They do far more testing than any private organization does.
  • DS is still rear-facing for now, I planned to keep him rear-facing as long as possible, but I'll be turning him front-facing in my car soon. The only reason is because it's getting hot here, and he's already sweating when he's in his seat in my car because it doesn't have vents in the back, so turning him will allow him to get some AC. He'll stay rear-facing in our other car (a van) until he reaches the seat limit
    After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • jb2rnjb2rn member
    We will RF until at least two. I have no doubt he would be happier FF, but for US, that isn't a good reason to do it. In Sweden, they RF longer, our car seat is Swedish and has a high RF weight limit.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• I'm a huge advocate for extended rear-facing so I will be rear facing DD till she reaches the max or to 4, whichever comes first. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

• DD is still in her infant seat so she is still RFing. It will depend on when she outgrows it how long we will continue RFing. If we are able to get a new car before she outgrows it she will continue RFing, if not she will probably have to FF because a RF convertible seat wont work in FIs current car.
  • DS is still RF.
  • imageRedCamaro:
    It really bothers me that individual people and organizations are making recommendations that might go against the manufacturer's recommendations based on their product. We followed what our car seat manufacturer's guidelines are. They do far more testing than any private organization does.

Can you please explain what you mean by this? Yes, the laws say till 1 and 20 lbs but the laws really need to be updated. Car seat manufacturers are following the AAP recommendations of rear facing till at least 2 which is why more and more car seats are coming out with higher rear facing limits. 

Quoting from Graco: "The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends your child ride rear-facing as long as possible, so My Ride 65 stays rear-facing up to 40 lbs."
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

• DS1 is still rear-facing.  He is so short too, that he will probably be rear-facing for a while.  I am expecting about another year of it.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I know I'm late to this post but...

I thought the law was RF up to age 2? Maybe it's just in Alabama? I will keep my kids RF at least until age 2...possibly longer.

My coworker had her little girl FF even before she was 1! ...AND had her infant seat in the front seat instead of the back! And this girl is crazy about her kids...but unfortunately cares more about them having a better view and having it easier to give them things while in the car, than their safety. She is not a rule follower when it comes to her kids. She just does what she thinks is ok and doesn't care what doctors or experts say. I don't get people who don't research things when it comes to their kids' safety.

Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • imageNatty13umppo:
    I'll RF as long as possible.  (I read that somewhere (parts of Europe?) they recommend RF until 4 or something!)  However, there is no way we can fit two RF seats in our current car so DD will probably stay RF until/if we have another LO.  (Which - since I'm not pregnant yet - would mean DD is at least older than 2 - closer to 2.5...)

This exactly. DS will rear face until we have another LO (he'll be at least 3) or he outgrows the seat.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • imageRosebud2587:
    imageRedCamaro:
    It really bothers me that individual people and organizations are making recommendations that might go against the manufacturer's recommendations based on their product. We followed what our car seat manufacturer's guidelines are. They do far more testing than any private organization does.

Can you please explain what you mean by this? Yes, the laws say till 1 and 20 lbs but the laws really need to be updated. Car seat manufacturers are following the AAP recommendations of rear facing till at least 2 which is why more and more car seats are coming out with higher rear facing limits. 

Quoting from Graco: "The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends your child ride rear-facing as long as possible, so My Ride 65 stays rear-facing up to 40 lbs."

I'll be happy to explain. We bought a carseat that is made in Europe by a company that also makes racing seats for cars. Their testing is exceptional. With their testing, the carseat we have is recommended to have LO RF until his head is 3" from the top of the back of the seat. Being as this is a convertible seat, LO might be around 2 before he meets that.

Next thing you know, we'll have requirements for geriatric persons to be in booster seats, too!

• My Oct 2009 (3.5 year old) is still rear facing and probably will be for a couple more months.  My Nov 2011 baby is definitely still rear facing and will be for a couple more years

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageRedCamaro:
    imageRosebud2587:
    imageRedCamaro:

I'll be happy to explain. We bought a carseat that is made in Europe by a company that also makes racing seats for cars. Their testing is exceptional. With their testing, the carseat we have is recommended to have LO RF until his head is 3" from the top of the back of the seat. Being as this is a convertible seat, LO might be around 2 before he meets that.

Next thing you know, we'll have requirements for geriatric persons to be in booster seats, too!

What type of car seat do you have? That sounds interesting.
  • We're still rear facing. I will probably change him around his 2nd birthday.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageJamiesWife2010:
    We're still rear facing. I will probably change him around his 2nd birthday.

ditto. When LO #2 comes we might turn him. Not KU yet so we will see.  

12/13/10 BFP 12/23/10 Miscarriage 3/6/11 BFP EDD 11/09/11 11/03/11 C-Section at 39w1d for failure to progress on induction for HBP and GD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cincinnati Reds Pictures, Images and Photos image ~~~~~Everyone Welcome PgAL/PAL~~~~~~
  • Still RFing with no plans to turn him around anytime soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"