Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When was/will be your first date after LO arrival?

Hi ladies,

so, my DH has brought up when we should go on our first LO-less outing (not counting the OB appointment we had to go to thanks to my split open stitches...).  He wants to go to a baseball game-and my grandparents have gladly offered to watch LO while we go. I guess I feel like it's still a little early for us to go do a 3-4 hour thing, and i'd rather our first outing be something for 1-2 hours.  Her naps are pretty crappy, and the only way she gets a decent nap is if i hold or wear her. not to mention, thanks to reflux, she doesn't eat well and there are certain ways to feed her to make sure her reflux isn't aggravated. I know you have trade offs when someone else watches your baby, but reflux is different than just a cranky baby-she chokes and what not if she isn't fed the right way.

So my questions for you mommas is when did you go on your first date without LO, how long and what did you do?  Any advice and past stories (especially with babies who aren't super easy going) will help.  I do want to go on a date with my husband and establish at least a bimonthly date night- I just don't know a good age to do this or how long the first few outings should be!

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)

Re: When was/will be your first date after LO arrival?

• Oooh, good post!  I just told my DH we have GOT to go out!  We still haven't DTD yet even!  We will probably go out to eat for a couple of hours.  No more than 2.5 hrs, as I'm not dragging a pump with me and I'll be uncomfortable at that point.  I'm actually thinking a hotel with room service sounds nice for two hours! LOL  Food, sex, nap all in a childless quiet place where other people do the dishes!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm not in a rush. We drink a few glasses of wine every weekend night and hang out while the kids are sleeping; that's our idea of a date night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DS#1 is took me a much longer time- 2. 5months!  With DS#2 our first date was a movie so a couple hours at 4 weeks.  It gets easier after the first...but our children have only stayed with family other than daycare.  I have to break away and find a sitter!
  • Our city has a week long festival and DH and I just went to one of the activities this past Tuesday, DD is 5 weeks, almost 6. We left her with my parents for 4 hours. It was a nice break, but I was ready to pick her up and take her home. I know it will get easier, but I'm not ready to make it a regular thing. DH even commented that he felt a little guilty leaving her and I agreed.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Our anniversary was a week after I had DD, so we went out for dinner that night (I had an easy recovery so I was feeling fine).  My mom and dad watched both kids.  DD is very easy, but I remember back when we'd leave DS when he was little (not as easy of a baby) and it was always stressful because I'd be nervous he'd scream the whole time for whoever watched him.  One time we went to a movie and as soon as we got there, we got the call from MIL to come back because she couldn't get him to stop crying.

My biggest suggestion would be to take the baby outside if they have a hard time and it's not too cold.  My kids always do good if you go for a walk outside.  Usually they'd end up falling asleep outside in the fresh air or calm right down if they were crying. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I went out for my 21st (didn't really plan a baby into my 21st but it happens), which was 3 days shy of a month later. With DD1 I didn't go out until my 19th birthday, which was 3 months PP. We were out for 4 hours without DD2, and it was more rough on me than anyone else. All I wanted was to cuddle her, and my boobs did not like me at all, since she was normally feeding every 2 hours towards her bedtime.

That said, she did cry a lot, and hated taking a bottle, but my MIL is like the baby whisperer, so she didn't mind any fussiness. 

I think by the time DD1 was 6 months we were going out every 2 weeks for a movie or dinner, and it really helped to bring back our love life. Do what your comfortable with, but being away for a long period of time is ROUGH on your boobs.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • We went on our first date without LO when he was 7 weeks. I'm not comfortable leaving him with someone else at bedtime yet and DH and I go to bed early too so we went on a Sunday brunch date...a leisurely bite to eat and a walk on the riverfront!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagemkanderson85:
    I'm not in a rush. We drink a few glasses of wine every weekend night and hang out while the kids are sleeping; that's our idea of a date night.

we did this a lot too. We called them our lil "2 people parties" haha

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • imagestephie1210:
    We went on our first date without LO when he was 7 weeks. I'm not comfortable leaving him with someone else at bedtime yet and DH and I go to bed early too so we went on a Sunday brunch date...a leisurely bite to eat and a walk on the riverfront!

that's a thought. She's definitely the fussiest late afternoon/evening and i agree i don't know if i want someone else doing bedtime... 

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • DH and I went out for a couple hrs to a hockey game when DS was almost 5 weeks. My 30th is next week so that will be date #2 in 7 weeks. Not bad :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My parents live 40 minutes away and have been offering to babysit so we could go out.  We ended up having our 1st date night when our girl was 3 weeks old.  We were out about 3 hours.  Long enough to get in dinner and putt putt golf.  I was completly comfortable living her with my parents and so for us it wasn't a big deal getting a little "us" time. 

• I know this isn't answering your question, but what happened with your split open stitches?? How long pp are you and what's the status of your healing now if you don't mind me asking? I also have split open stitches, no fun at all...... :
  • mnj05mnj05 member
    We went on a lunch date at 4 weeks. We also ended up going to a friend's barber shop and hung out there for a little over an hour. I think we were gone 3 hours total and my mom kept DS.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• DH and I haven't gone out on a date or spent anytime together without LO but we have both been away from LO for a chunk of time. When LO was three weeks old, I was supposed to go out to a Ladies' Night event and DH was going to stay home with the kids. Well, the week prior to that DH came down with pneumonia and ended up in the hospital. He was on the mend so, instead of wasting a ticket for the event and giving up the night out that I had been looking forward to for months, my dad came to town to watch my step kids and a friend's mom watched LO for about 4 hours. My dad didn't feel comfortable watching a newborn. My friend offered her mom's services as her mom was already going to be watching her 3.5 month old and had 7 kids herself so she had a lot of experience with her own children and grandchildren. Some people may side eye me for going out for an evening like that with my husband in the hospital etc but it was necessary for my own sanity especially since I had A LOT going on that weekend and was dealing with it all on my own.

Not sure when DH and I will go out on our own together. Probably not for a long time because we plan to take LO with us almost everywhere.
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • I had absolutely horrible post partum depression starting about three seconds after we got home with the baby. By 2 weeks I was a useless crying pile of sore and sleep deprivation. At 3.5 weeks DD went to the grandparents for a night so I could try to sleep/get my crap together. My first outing away from runt was a whole night! My SO surprised me by taking me to a nice restaurant, we stopped to check on runt of the way home, and we had a quiet night in full of sleep, and sleep, and some more sleep. I worried like a worrying thing that worries but she was fine and every time I was away it got easier. Now she is almost 12 weeks and routinely goes to the grandparents for a night. 
  • We've been out a couple times...we went out to dinner around 2 weeks, then again at 4 weeks for DH's birthday. We'll be going out in a couple weeks again for a conference/meeting.

My mom and MIL are great babysitters - things aren't done exactly the way I would do them when they're here, but both of the kids are breathing when I get home and that's good enough for me :)

And DH and I went away for an overnight when my DS #1 was 2 months old. It was hard to leave, but we had a great time. I'm thinking we need another outing like that - having two kids is tough on a marriage :( 

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• DS was born on 2/6. We went out to dinner and the mall on 2/13 for early valentine's day. Grammy watched him.

• We went on our first dinner date when LO was a month old.  He is now 2 months and we have been out on dates 2x since then.  We both have very eager parents who are first time grandparents so they practically beg us to go out so they can watch him!  I think it is really important that DH and I maintain "us" in addition to being parents.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 7/10/2012 .... DS Born: 2/26/2013
    TTC #2: 5/2014
    BFP #2: 7/8/2014 .... MC at 4w4d
    BFP #3: 9/14/2014...EDD 5/30/2015

Little Sister is on the way!
  • We went out for brunch (just under 2 hours, I think) when DS was almost 3 weeks old.  My mom gave him his first bottle while we were gone (which is when the pediatrician recommended he have the first bottle-- between 2 & 3 weeks old).  

I wouldn't be too eager to get out for a long outing, mostly because I'd have to figure out pumping and I'd really just rather not.  :) 

• Our LO is 4 weeks today and tomorrow night will be our first date night sans baby.  Dinner and a movie or just a movie usually happens once a month for our date night.  My cousin who lives in the same apartment complex or my mother who lives across town will watch her, having it be with family makes it easier. This month it's "Pain & Gain" and next month it's the new "Fast and Furious" movie. Woohoo for date night!

• DH and I went out to dinner for our anniversary when DD was 11 days old.  My mom stayed with her at our house for the 2 hour outing.  I also had my first glass of wine in 10 months!
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • About 3 weeks PP we went out to dinner while my mom took care of LO. We were only out for an hour and a half but it was great because it was my first time eating sushi since before the pregnancy :) We're lucky because my mom is always willing to take care of our LO. Yesterday DH and I talked about having a romantic weekend getaway to rekindle the romance ;) That will be sometime in June to celebrate our anniversary.
  • My first date night will be when Star Trek 2 comes out in tne middle of May, my son will be 5-6 weeks by then. 

• imageClandestineX:
    My first date night will be when Star Trek 2 comes out in tne middle of May, my son will be 5-6 weeks by then. 

I wish there was a like button for this so badly! 

• With DD1, we went out for a nice, long dinner when she was a month old. She did great. I am guessing it will be the same with this one I ebf both girls and pumped/will pump milk when we go out.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"