Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

When did you cut off formula?

When did you stop giving LO formula? I've been told that at roughly 12 months, they should be switched to WCM. Did you gradually switch or not?
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: When did you cut off formula?

• We switched gradually, doing one bottle at a time. A week or so later we cut the second bottle. We started at 11.5 months and were totally off formula by 12.5 months. 

It was a super painless process for us, GL! 

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• My little lady ran out of formula about 5 days before her first birthday, and since her pediatrician had previously mentioned his recommendation that we switch her to milk at 12 months, we just decided to fo for it. We figured we'd see how she did for a day or two, then re-examine the switch to see if we needed to make any changes.  She had been on soy formula, so we were unsure as to whether she would need to be on soy milk, but we went ahead and started her on whole cow's milk.  She had no problems whatsoever. Now we're working on getting her completely off of the bottle and on to sippy cups only.
  • Loading the player...
  • We did a gradual one ounce at a time switch...although we were also transitioning from breast milk supplemented with formula to cow's milk.  The first day, DD was suspicious, but then after she was fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • We did it cold turkey for both their first birthday.  DS didn't even notice.  DD made a face the first couple of bottles but really no issues...easy peasy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did it gradually starting at 11 months. 25% whole milk to 75% formula for a week, 50/50 for a week, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We switched cold turkey 2 days after his birthday. And we never put milk in bottles on in a cup.
    utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Getting Pregnant">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We waited until 15 months, but my LO was at the bottom of the weight charts. I gradually switched to milk, though I did keep a little left over formula in my diaper bag for convenience.
  • We did a fast gradual transition and DS was 100% on cows milk by 11.5 months.  He was moving to the toddler room at daycare right as 12 months and I wanted to avoid any issues.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • We did a very quick switch but my LO had some pretty serious allergies and we were on Alimentum.  It seemed like backwards logic at the time but it makes sense to switch very quickly to see how they will react - that way you  know why they are fussy, you aren't left wondering if the 15% of WCM is doing it or if it's something else (teething, a cold, etc...).

I think for most babies a gradual switch is recommended, though.

FWIW I still keep a bit of formula around - there is toddler formula - and it's waaay less expensive.  I have it on hand if I run out of milk and keep a bit in my diaper bag as well....for emergency-type meltdown situations where water isn't going to cut it.  However, I made a bottle for him yesterday and he refused it so we may be off formula all together:)

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• We started transitioning at 11 months and were completely on WCM in a sippy by 11.5 months because the tub of formula ran out. I didn't end up buying any more because DD didn't seem to care one way or the other about the switch.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did it right around 11 months. Planning to go gradual over a few weeks.

However, one taste of real milk and she was pretty much over formula and we were full on milk and sippies in less than a week. She's always been a good eater so I wasn't too worked about it, even thought it was probably kind of early..I just wasn't expecting the transition to be easy for us.

• Thanks everyone!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We switched gradually, started around 11m. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We went gradually in about a month. It only took 23 days to take away the bottle. Now we have to start weening the paci away.
  • alakealake member

DD1 12 months

DD2 we switched to toddler formula.  dd1 had problems with whole milk and I didn't want to have a repeat.  We switched to milk at 18 months.

DD 3: we will see.  She is only 8 months as of yet.  I will probably do something similar as DD2.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"