Trouble TTC

Clomid, Metformin?

My first m/c was when I was 18. Fast forward 16 years I have my second miscarriage. The doctor doesn't believe the two are related but requested bloodwork. He said my hormones are in normal range but on the low end of the scale. I go back on the 3rd for additional test. If same results he suggested I take medication to strengthen my ovulation. I've got two friends that took two seperate medicines to get pregnant. Educate me on which would be best to ask for!

Also open to any advice on questions I should be asking or test requested. I am very new to trying to conceive. Thank you!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Clomid, Metformin?

• Your doctor is probably correct, that two miscarriages 16 years apart may mean nothing other than the percent of women that have miscarriages.  I am sorry for your losses.  

However, if you are "new" to TTC I don't know that clomid is something that should be proscribed so quickly.  This board is full of women who are either undergoing infertility testing or have been diagnosed with IF after having tried TTC for a year (6 months for those over the age of 35).  

You might be confused as to what the doctor is talking about.  Your issue with staying pregnant might be a lack of strong progesterone after ovulation.  This makes your lining "fluffy" in order for implantation to occur in the first place and sustain a pregnancy until the placenta takes over.  The drugs you are talking about are for very specific things - and should not be handed out like candy if you request them.  They should be given, when the situation you personally are in makes it warranted.

Metformin is a drug that is given a) to people like me with diabetes or b) to people who have PCOS which is a ovary issue where many women do not ovulate on their own (no ovulation = not able to get pregnant because you're not releasing an egg).  Clearly, you do ovulate, and if there was no mention of PCOS signs - this is not the drug for you.

Clomid can be used to strengthen your ovulation - but seems a bit extreme if you just started TTC.  Usually they will see if they can get someone with progesterone issues PG first by just giving progesterone supplements in the two weeks after ovulation. Progesterone supps have no risk aside from side effects of feeling pregnant and minor headaches or mood swings from the hormone.

Clomid has several risks - including causing cysts (which can rupture if not properly monitored and cause a loss of tubes), or over stimulation (which OHSS can cause health issues and costly hospital stays) or just Octomom results...so when we say get "properly monitored" it's because we're looking our for your health.  

Before taking clomid you should have a cd3 U/S and B/W as well as another around cd12.  I would first talk to your doctor to find out what they really think your issue is with staying pregnant and their recommended course of action = not suggest a drug yourself.  And if THEY suggest clomid - make sure you've got the monitoring in place.  BUT, I'd try for a full year on your own with the help of progesterone supplements if the test (7dpo P4 test) warrants it.   

Phew - I'm exhausted from writing that! 

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• imagekatib77:

Your doctor is probably correct, that two miscarriages 16 years apart may mean nothing other than the percent of women that have miscarriages.  I am sorry for your losses.  

However, if you are "new" to TTC I don't know that clomid is something that should be proscribed so quickly.  This board is full of women who are either undergoing infertility testing or have been diagnosed with IF after having tried TTC for a year (6 months for those over the age of 35).  

You might be confused as to what the doctor is talking about.  Your issue with staying pregnant might be a lack of strong progesterone after ovulation.  This makes your lining "fluffy" in order for implantation to occur in the first place and sustain a pregnancy until the placenta takes over.  The drugs you are talking about are for very specific things - and should not be handed out like candy if you request them.  They should be given, when the situation you personally are in makes it warranted.

Metformin is a drug that is given a) to people like me with diabetes or b) to people who have PCOS which is a ovary issue where many women do not ovulate on their own (no ovulation = not able to get pregnant because you're not releasing an egg).  Clearly, you do ovulate, and if there was no mention of PCOS signs - this is not the drug for you.

Clomid can be used to strengthen your ovulation - but seems a bit extreme if you just started TTC.  Usually they will see if they can get someone with progesterone issues PG first by just giving progesterone supplements in the two weeks after ovulation. Progesterone supps have no risk aside from side effects of feeling pregnant and minor headaches or mood swings from the hormone.

Clomid has several risks - including causing cysts (which can rupture if not properly monitored and cause a loss of tubes), or over stimulation (which OHSS can cause health issues and costly hospital stays) or just Octomom results...so when we say get "properly monitored" it's because we're looking our for your health.  

Before taking clomid you should have a cd3 U/S and B/W as well as another around cd12.  I would first talk to your doctor to find out what they really think your issue is with staying pregnant and their recommended course of action = not suggest a drug yourself.  And if THEY suggest clomid - make sure you've got the monitoring in place.  BUT, I'd try for a full year on your own with the help of progesterone supplements if the test (7dpo P4 test) warrants it.   

Phew - I'm exhausted from writing that! 

Wow.  What great information, KatiB. 

**************SIGGY WARNING**************

BLOG

Me 32 :: DH 41

TTC since November, 2011

DH's SA : Excellent

Lap and Hysteroscopy June 2012

DX: PCOS, Stage III Endo, slight Adenomyosis, blocked tube, and probable LPD

Treatments:  6 Months Lupron Depot injections; 1500 mg metformin; 3 cycles of Clomid + TI = BFN

3 endometrial biopsies all were "out of phase" 

September - December, 2013:  Break to lose weight and get healthy

40 lb weight loss but still not ovulating "in phase"  

February - March 2014: bcps + follistim + trigger + TI = BFP

Beta #1 (12dpo): 30; Beta #2 (18dpo): 500; Beta #3 (25dpo): 7,000!!! 

1st u/s 4/16: One beautiful hb at 144 bmp 

2nd u/s 4/29: hb at 166 bmp.  Graduated from RE!!

TEAM PINK! 

Baby girl arrived on Thanksgiving day weighing 7lbs 6oz and measuring 20 inches

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the info. I was tested several years ago, in a previous relationship, and was told I don't ovulate regularly. The doc is the one suggesting the meds, not me. I was just asking the difference between the two because I've heard so many conflicting stories about each. I'm approaching 35 in 3 months and I believe that's another reason my doctor is prepping me for the possibility of using something to aide in my situation.

It's true I haven't been ttc long, but I have several friends that have gone through IVF without any success....that's why I posted here in hopes to become more educated and find encouragement.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"