TTC After a Loss

Clomid, Metformin?

My first m/c was when I was 18. Fast forward 16 years I have my second miscarriage. The doctor doesn't believe the two are related but requested bloodwork. He said my hormones are in normal range but on the low end of the scale. I go back on the 3rd for additional test. If same results he suggested I take medication to strengthen my ovulation. I've got two friends that took two seperate medicines to get pregnant. Educate me on which would be best to ask for!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Clomid, Metformin?

• I would ask for a referral to an RE.

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Reproductive Endocrinologist.  If your OB is talking about giving you meds to regulate ovulation, especially clomid, I would ask to go to an RE.

• Reproductive Endocrinologist.  If your OB is talking about giving you meds to regulate ovulation, especially clomid, I would ask to go to an RE.

THIS - and I wrote a very lengthy response to you on Trouble TTC board.  I didn't get into the whole RE talk because honestly if you are that new to TTC I think you need to try on your own for longer and only be put on progesterone supps (if your P4 test shows you need it) before actually moving on to more invasive treatments.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• imagesoutherngrace21:

My first m/c was when I was 18. Fast forward 16 years I have my second miscarriage. The doctor doesn't believe the two are related but requested bloodwork. He said my hormones are in normal range but on the low end of the scale. I go back on the 3rd for additional test. If same results he suggested I take medication to strengthen my ovulation. I've got two friends that took two seperate medicines to get pregnant. Educate me on which would be best to ask for!

Thinking more about what you posted - did your doctor check your progesterone on CD 21 and did it show up low? If you did not ovulate on CD14, checking progesterone on CD21 is a waste of time. 

Are you charting? Using OPKs?  You did get pg so that is a pretty strong indicator that you are ovulating on your own. 

• OP, before blindly asking for medication you know nothing about, please read this thread from TTGP where clomid is discussed, including the post which links to an account of just how serious clomid can be when it's handed out like candy by doctors who have no clue about what they're doing with it:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/73606174.aspx

And as PP has said, why are you asking your doctor for certain medications? Shouldn't he be the professional and recommend what he thinks is best, not be dictated to by someone with no knowledge of what they're doing?  

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Again thank you for the information but maybe I should have been more specific with my earlier post. I was tested several years ago and was told I do not ovulate regularly. I had blood test done last month, hormones were in the low range so having additional testing next week. I will be turning 35 in 3 months, have several friends that went through IVF with no success, others that have success on different medicines. I am merely trying to gain as much insight as possible. As for seeing a doctor that lets me request medicine, rest assure the one I see is not. I was asking the difference between the two in case either was an option he prescribes for me.

This sight has been good with encouraging me after my D&C in December, so I was hoping it would be a good tool to gain more information along this process.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagesoutherngrace21:

Again thank you for the information but maybe I should have been more specific with my earlier post. I was tested several years ago and was told I do not ovulate regularly. I had blood test done last month, hormones were in the low range so having additional testing next week. I will be turning 35 in 3 months, have several friends that went through IVF with no success, others that have success on different medicines. I am merely trying to gain as much insight as possible. As for seeing a doctor that lets me request medicine, rest assure the one I see is not. I was asking the difference between the two in case either was an option he prescribes for me.

This sight has been good with encouraging me after my D&C in December, so I was hoping it would be a good tool to gain more information along this process.

A good rule of thumb is to give as much info as possible.   We, unfortunately, get a lot of women who have doctors that prescribe clomid like it's candy and don't monitor them properly. 

This is an incredibly supportive board that has many women with a great deal of knowledge based on their personal experience.   Answers will reflect how much information you provide.

I will again ask you this question, your low hormone level - when in your cycle was that test taken? Was this for progesterone?  I ask this because if it was a CD21 test and you had not ovulated yet, of course it will be low! What you need to see is if it is low at 7dpo.  If you are not ovulating at all, that is a different issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"