September 2013 Moms

baby shower / MIL annoyance

My MIL is very generous and thoughtful to throw me a baby shower, however I can't help but feel a little annoyed tonight. 

We talked on sunday and she asked me to send her a final head count this week so she can order invitations. I just got a very short & snippy text from her tonight saying "what is your final headcount. we really need to order the invitations by saturday." I was so annoyed! It's like giving an RSVP date for a wedding and then hounding people who haven't RSVP'd when they still have a few days left.

I know it's a small and stupid thing, but she's just irritating me. I swear, this is why a part of me doesn't even want a shower - I suddenly feel like my MIL becomes my boss and I have to report in to her! Last night she basically forced us into choosing where we are going to register so that she can put registry info on the invitation, which I don't even want. I'd rather people ask her. And I'd rather take more time to think about it.

Sigh. Sorry for the vent. Anyone else's MIL hosting their shower and annoying them in the process? 

Re: baby shower / MIL annoyance

• You're overreacting. It's not easy to organize a shower and she wasn't rude in the text. And not everyone will think to take the initiative to ask her where you're registered. She's right, that should be on the invite. Just tell her BRU or whatever and bu
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • none of that seems out of line to me. It's nice that she's throwing you a shower.
    BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I get that I might be overreacting (and seriously, I really do appreciate that she's throwing me a shower). But it's wrong of me to be annoyed when she asks for a headcount "this week" - meaning by friday - and on wednesday she texts me acting like I've m
  • Meh. I guess. That's a blip on the annoyance radar if anything. I'd be more annoyed with myself for not being more on top of it and getting it right to her. I had 2 showers with my first and you better believe I bent over backwards to be helpful consideri
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My MIL likes to push crap on us. Like wall decals that cost $120+. That's just not necessary and not what we want.  Thankfully she said she didn't want to step on toes so she didn't offer to throw my shower. I know it is very generous to throw a show
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • imageNYHeel:
    I get that I might be overreacting (and seriously, I really do appreciate that she's throwing me a shower). But it's w
  • imagezoieglow:
    Meh. I guess. That's a blip on the annoyance radar if anything. I'd be more annoyed with myself for not being more o
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I can understand why you're annoyed if she's hounding you for things, but as someone who has hosted many baby showers, it can be stressful.  The last one I hosted for a friend who is very picky about stationary, so I planned to order nice invites on
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can't read emotion in a text. She asked for a head count. Give her one.
  • imageEllaBelle2010:

imageNYHe
  • imageEllaBelle2010:

It's a bit of overreaction on your part to be annoyed with such a small perceived slight- which I didn't see an

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Could you be annoyed? Sure.

Should you be annoyed? Not really.

She sent you a not rude reminder text, and then she said she needed to know where you will register.... and, as gifts are the point of a shower, is rather crucial. Why make your

"She's the tied for the third-funniest person on this board!" -S13 Bumpies

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imagefoxyroxy:

Could you be annoyed? Sure.

She sent you a not rude reminder text, an

• Ugh, posting fail. This is what I said in reply to foxyroxy. Anddd now it's time to officially call it a day:

Yikes, your MIL sounds

• imageNYHeel:
     Yikes, your MIL sounds awful. I know, agree with you all you are saying. I'm just
    "She's the tied for the third-funniest person on this board!" -S13 Bumpies

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imagefoxyroxy:

Could you be annoyed? Sure.

She sent you a not rude reminder text, an

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"