Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

newborn not opening eyes very much

DD is 2.5 weeks old, born at 36 weeks gestation, so a bit early.  We found out she is lactose intolerant, so we had to switch her to a soy formula (exclusively FF) almost a week ago.  Prior to switching formulas, she had lost more than 15% of her birth weight.  She has still not reached her birth weight yet, but is getting close.

I give this information because I am wondering if she is just still too tired, not enough spare energy to keep her eyes open.  She has only really started opening her eyes at all in the past 3 days.  Prior to that, she would maybe peek her eyes open for a second or two while burping her.  Now, she will open them, not really wide though, for about 5 seconds at a time and will maybe do this after a feeding about 3-4 times per day.

Has anyone else experienced this with their newborn?  I am just wondering why she isn't staying awake at all between feedings, or if its just a little early for her to be doing that yet. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image Pregnancy Ticker

Re: newborn not opening eyes very much

• Options

imageMichbot12:
    Lack of energy could be part of it.  Are you keeping your rooms dim or do you have a lot of light in the house
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DD2 arrived at 38 weeks after months of pre-term labor and like your LO she dropped a ton of weight after birth. Like you I noticed that she was not opening her eyes (as much as I remember her siblings who arrived later but who also lost a ton of weight a
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My Twins Were Born At 35.6Wks. They Also Have Only Begun Spending Any time With Their Eyes Open In The Last 34 Days. I Thinks it's Just Their Particular Developement stage, As They Should Be 38.5Wks Gestation. I Have Heard That Preemies "Wake up" So To

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    Babies are sooo sleepy in the beginning, especially preemies.  Keep in mind her 'adjusted' age for milestones and things will make more sense - she's doing SO much more work on the outside right now, so it's tiring!  I bet once she reaches her d
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

My 35w0d baby did the same for many weeks.  She is now 7 weeks and still sleeps a ton.  She does have alert eyes wide open periods now but they took many weeks.  She used to (and still does) just peek one eye partially open, looks around

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"