Stay at Home Moms

Should I feel guilty about this?

We don't eat dinner as a family. DH is only home two nights a week (Fri/Sat his weekend) and we really enjoy our dinners together after DS goes to bed.  But I'm starting to feel selfish. 

The other 5 days I cook for DS and I and we eat together. On the weekend we all eat lunch together. Should we give up at least one of our dinners in favor of family dinner? I'm feeling guilty that the three of us don't sit down together on the two nights we're home as a family.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Should I feel guilty about this?

• I don't think you should feel guilty. It's important for you and DH to have time together. There is no rule that says a family meal has to be dinner. You do lunch and that's great!
  • I agree. Your lunch is your family meal and the dinner is time for you and YH. Don't feel guilty at all!

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with the PP's, however, I would make it a point to have family dinner when your child reaches school age. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • IMHO eating a meal together as a family as often as possible is important.  It's a time for you all to come together and touch base, doing something enjoyable, without distractions.  I don't think it has to be dinner, but I do think it should

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Don't feel guilty. Am I reading it right that you are having a family lunch instead of dinner? I think the important thing is you are sitting down as a family at some point, the exact time does not really matter. Our family meal is usually&
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• We don't eat dinner as a family.  It just isn't possible with H's work schedule.  If he gets home in time, he takes over the bed and bath routine and I start our dinner

While I think family dinner is great (and something I enjoyed growi

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • imagesbevmc09:

IMHO eating a meal together as a family as often as possible is important.  It's a time for you all to come tog

• Should you feel guilty? No. Should you do it? Yes. :) I think doing one at least every other week would be nice for DS. 
  • imageArnegard:
    imagesbevmc09:</s

• Don't feel guilty.  You still have the family lunch together so I wouldn't worry about it. 

On weekdays DH doesn't usually get home until after the kids are in bed.  On Saturday nights when we don't have a date night, I enjoy havi

Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Well we don't ever do family dinner because of dh's work scheudle... and we don't really do family lunch or anything either.  My kids are wild at meal time and it's just not enjoyable for me but I do hope to start family dinners on the weekends in a
  • We rarely do either since DH is only home two nights a week as well. Wednesday and sunday. I actually feed my kids and then eat by myself most nights because ds2 won't eat his food he wants mine. We will start once boys are a bit older.
  • imagesbevmc09:

IMHO eating a meal together as a family as often as possible is important.  It's a time for you all to come tog

• imageMrs.Hizzo:
    imagesbevmc09:</

• imageQueSyrah:
    imageMrs.Hizzo:</
  • We don't always eat dinner as a family either. My kids are ready for dinner at 4pm. I've tried just giving them a snack at 4 to hold them over until 530 but it just doesn't work the majority of the time. I sit and eat with the kids. If they are hungry for
  • your LO is only 3, i wouldn't worry about consistent family dinners until school starts.  making time for your spouse is important as well!
  • Do you do any meals as a family?  I would do a family lunch/breakfast/brunch one day a week if that was feasible, and keep my husband time if I was in your position. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKC_13:
    We don't always eat dinner as a family either. My kids are ready for dinner at 4pm. I've tried just giving them a snack

• abs05abs05 member

We hardly ever do family dinners.  DH leaves for work at 6:15 am and isn't home until 7 pm.  DD is ready for dinner at 5:30, if not slightly earlier.  Making her wait until 7 doesn't seem reasonable at this age, so I don't.  I sit d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"