September 2012 Moms

Our dog attacked DS last week...

I?ll start by saying that Cooper is ok!

A little back story?.Bruno bit two people when he was 2 years old and since then we made arrangements so that he is never around people he doesn?t know. My parents live two houses down and really stepped in to help us after he bit the second person. My Dad cared for Bruno daily while we were at work or had company over so that Bruno didn?t have to be around people he didn?t know. We obviously didn?t want to chance that again! When Cooper was born we were naturally nervous and cautious of their interaction. We?ve never left them in the room alone or let him get close without supervision. He was doing great! Over the last 7 months we had been less and less worried and started to slowly let Bruno get closer. Since Cooper was 4 months I would say, they became best friends! Bruno is the type of dog that once you?re his friend, you?re his friend. Or so we thought?.They would lay next to each (still being supervised of course) play together and Bruno would even try to get Cooper to rub his belly. Last Thursday I had left Cooper and Bruno at my parents to run some errands. Cooper was playing on the floor with my Mom and Bruno was lying across from them. Cooper stopped what he was doing, looked at Bruno and smiled at him. There was something about it that Bruno obviously didn?t like so he jumped up and lunged at him. Hackles up, growling he went straight for Coopers face. I have no idea how, but Cooper was smart enough to flip his body down and roll to his stomach. My Mom couldn?t hold Bruno back in a sitting position so she jumped up and it took all she could to pull Bruno off of him. He?s about 75 lbs. She was sure Coopers face had been ripped off. She said that Cooper couldn?t catch his breath, he was so scared. At that point she was so grateful that he was ok! She checked him from head to toe and didn?t see any actual bite marks. We put Bruno to sleep the next morning. After two blood drawing attacks then this, we couldn?t chance it again. I would never live with myself if my son got attacked again and severely injured. It?s been so hard though, as we all loved Bruno so much. He had some amazing qualities but he couldn?t control his aggression. So, this is why I?ve kind of been MIA since last week. I worried a little bit about being flamed for putting him down and it?s taken me a while to actually type this out. I?ve started this thread 10 times it seems but it?s been so hard to actually talk about it. Just glad Cooper is ok! Sorry to post and run but I?m on my ipad and getting ready to go into a meeting!

Cooper Edward

Re: Our dog attacked DS last week...

• Wow. I'm sad for you guys. We have two dogs who are so gentle and friendly, but we know they are still animals who could be unpredictable at any time. I've thought about what we'd do if something like that happened to us, and I still honestly don't know.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm so glad Cooper is OK!

I'm sorry that you found yourself on a position where you had to make a difficult decision like that.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I would have made the same decision in your situation. I'm sorry for the loss
    Little B 9.20.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry, I missed a huge part of this story!

We originally didn't want to jump right to putting him to sleep so my Dad brought him to the vet the next morning to discuss possibly anxiety meds (which I was always against before) and he got

Cooper Edward

• ((hugs)) to you!

• I'm sorry :
    I would have made the same choice.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• imageLoveLossHopeRepeat:

I'm so glad Cooper is okay.

Regarding Bruno, I don't want to flame you, but reading that you pu

Cooper Edward

• LuvSDLuvSD member
    imageLoisLayn23:

I'm so sorry that happened, and FWIW, I would've done the same thing. I would not trust that dog around my family

imageimageimage

imageMe

Cooper Edward

• Sorry that happened. No flames from me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLoisLayn23:
    I'm so sorry that happened, and FWIW, I would've done the same thing. I would not trust that dog around my family and I
  • imageMegroons:

Sorry, I missed a huge part of this story!

We originally didn't want to jump right to putting him

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageLuvSD:
    imageLoisLayn23:</strong
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm so sorry for the loss of your pet, and glad a scary situation turned out ok for your LO. Hugs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LuvSDLuvSD member
    imageMegroons:
    imageLoveLossHope
    imageimageimage

imageMe

Cooper Edward

• I'm so glad your son is okay! 

I'm sorry for your loss.  I would have done the same thing given the situation.  ((hugs))

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLoisLayn23:

I'm so sorry that happened, and FWIW, I would've done the same thing. I would not trust that dog around my fami

• Oh my gosh! My heart hurts for you Meg :(

I'm so relieved that Cooper is okay, how scary! I'm so sad for the loss of your pet, but I think you guys definitely did the best thing for your family.  

you are in my thoughts!

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • StasiStasi member
    I'm so so sorry that you had to go through this! You made the best decision you could for your family!

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• I'm so sorry.  No flames from me.  Sounds like you made the right decision even though it was hard.  So thankful DS is ok.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• How scary. I'm glad your DS is ok.

No judgment from me. I have an aggressive cat who bites me; the only thing keeping him from making a one-way trip to the vet is that he's never attacked either of the kids. The first time he does, I wo

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so sorry hun!  {{{HUGS}}}  So glad Cooper is okay.  You made the best decision for your family.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• What a horrible situation- sorry you had to go through that.  I'm so glad your little boy is ok, and I would have made the same decision to keep my family safe.
  • I'm glad Cooper was unharmed.

I am sorry for the loss of your dog,but I agree you took every step you could,and it was the best choice for you.
  • I would never flame you for this! I'm so glad that Cooper is ok. I realize putting a pet to sleep is hard in an circumstance but the moment you have a child that little person becomes your main priority. You did nothing wrong! I'm sorry you had to make th

• imageMiraskTastic:
    imageauroralo
  • It borught tears to my eyes to even think about a baby being attacked like that, I cannot even imagine how terrified I would be.  You made the right decision for everyone involved although I am sure that you wish it could be different.  Sorry fo
  • I'm so sorry that happened. How scary! I'm sorry you were faced with such a hard decision, but I'm glad Cooper is okay.

• I'm sorry that it had to come to that decision. I'm sure it was very difficult to make that choice. I'm so glad that Cooper is ok though!
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • I'm so sorry about losing your dog.

Glad your son is okay though. Poor thing must have been so scared!

View Raw Image'>

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• So glad LO is ok. But sad to say goodbye to a family pet - regardless of the situation. If I were in your shoes I likely would have done the same. 
  • I'm so sorry.  This had to be a horribly hard decision to make, and I'm really sad for you guys.
  • Thank you all so much for your kind words! It really means a lot to me and reminds me how grateful I am to be a part of this board!

Cooper Edward

• hmp1hmp1 member
    I am so glad Cooper is ok. I think I would have made the same decision. Big hugs. No matter the reason, putting an animal down is so hard.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I'm sooo sorry love :/

Liam Dean | 09.11.12 | 6lbs 13oz

• I would have done the same thing if I were in your shoes. I'm glad your son is ok.
  • Oh gosh I am so glad that Cooper is ok!
    I am really sorry you had to put your dog down!

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so sorry for your loss and I am happy cooper is okay. I'm sorry your dad is sad. Best wishes for him.
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • Gosh, I just also want to say that I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that.  I can't imagine the thoughts as that is happening especially from a beloved animal.  My furbabies were our children prior to LO and I agree that in the s

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"