August 2012 Moms

Raising daughters w/o body image issues

I just read this article about Swedish model agencies standing outside of eating disorder clinics to recruit girls.  How disgusting.

https://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/04/22/modeling_scouts_recruit_teen_patients_at_swedish_anorexia_clinic_are_you.html

It made me start thinking that I hope I can raise my daughter to be happy and confident with the way she looks, and what I will need to do/change to make that happen. 

I know that even though I'm in pretty decent shape, I can be pretty critical of myself outloud, and I will need to keep that to myself so my daughter doesn't start thinking it's ok to be so critical of what she looks like.

What are other things we can all do/change to raise happy, healthy, confident daughters?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Raising daughters w/o body image issues

• I don't have a daughter, but this issue terrifies me. My co-worker's 8 year old daughter has recently started displaying body image issues and she is having the hardest time pin pointing the source of it - she's a beautiful, active, healthy little girl

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • You named the number one influence, IMO. Girls AND boys will absolutely pick up on how you think of yourself and it will be directly correlated to their own security. When you're little, your parents are the biggest, smartest, best looking people that

SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemeaknigh:

I don't have a daughter, but this issue terrifies me. My co-worker's 8 year old daughter has recently started displa

SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejodegaard:

You named the number one influence, IMO. Girls AND boys will absolutely pick up on how you think of yourself and it

Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • To be honest, this issue terrifies me and I am beyond thrilled to have my boys. I know boys can have issues as well, but, I don't think they are to the extent of what a girl faces in our society today. It's horrible. 
    WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • I think you lead by example. I read a blog post not too long ago about how you should think and say things about yourself that you would want your daughter to say to herself. Too often, we're too critical of ourselves. If your daughter sees you throwin

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• My daughter is critical of others. Yea, already. She seen a big lady sz 26 our so and caddied her day and said she needed to exercise. I quickly directed her and told her does she wasn't someone calling me fat. She quickly apologized but it terrified me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I started my clean eating lifestyle change and fitness habit so that I can be confident in my body and hopefully encourage my daughter to follow suit. I'm so afraid of her being like me in high school and college, starving herself for some self worth and
  • imagejodegaard:

You named the number one influence, IMO. Girls AND boys will absolutely pick up on how you think of yourself and it

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Kids pick up on things so fast. Last night I was tucking DD into bed and I was telling her how getting good sleep helps you grow. She says and eating good food too. I said yes, good food helps your body grow strong. She then replies "but I don't want to b
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"