Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Couldn't believe it...can someone please explain it to me?

I was at my parents house yesterday with the baby and while talking with them my dad let slip that my brothers daughter, who is about 2 months younger than mine, is already eating baby food. Wen he said that I freaked out thinking how in the world their little digestive systems can't handle real food that young! And my mom just shrugged and said she had no idea. I just started introducing stuff to DD but my pedi told me to wait until 6 months. 

So I guess what I'm confused on is it that ok to do or what? Sorry I'm a FTM and have no idea! I just couldn't believe that!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Couldn't believe it...can someone please explain it to me?

• Back in the day maybe, but its not recommended by anyone now. You're right-their systems aren't mature enough for food until AT LEAST 4 months, and AAP, CAP and WHO all recommend 6 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Its not recommended, but its probably not going to hurt her.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Our pedi is pretty old school and was actually okay with us giving LO baby food early. He never told us we had to, only we feel comfortable. We didn't start it righ away. We did start closer to 4 months and DS never had any issues.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• It's not recommended these days, but some people do it to try to get their babies to STTN (that's a myth though) or they are worried about supply or they listen to the previous generation.

My grandmother told me to add cereal to DS's bottle to he

• imagefennyann:

Our pedi is pretty old school and was actually okay with us giving LO baby food early. He never told us we had to, o

Anniversary 
  • imagetrombgirl:

It's not recommended these days, but some people do it to try to get their babies to STTN (that's a myth though) or

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageelmoali:
    imagetrombgirl:</s
  • Thanks ladies! That's what I thought as well, and for a 2 month old and giving her jarred baby food (not even cereal) I feel is crazy! I'm with everyone else about when I'm starting solids!
  • imagetrombgirl:
    imageelmoali:</s
  • imageForeverEverAfter:
    imagetrom
  • Formula might have been around in the 50's but it wasn't readily available to everyone.  My mom gave my brother cow's milk from the beginning and he was born in the 60's.

I have a friend who's mom gave her pureed beef hearts.  They'r

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Definitely not recommended today. Although, I will say looking at my DH's baby book, he was started on cereal at like 2 weeks old and my MIL said she was fed sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk when she was a baby in place of formula. Crazy how

Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • exclusive breast milk til 6 months at least (or formula if thats your thing) 
  • Some people are comfortable with feeding baby food early. I am not.

My MIL had tried pushing the cereal in the bottle thing on me for awhile. She said it is heavier on their stomachs then just breastmilk and helps them sleep through the night. S

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My sister started at like 3.5 months with cereal and my mom keeps insisting I need to give DD solids because she wakes up a lot at night but I just don't think that's the reason for her waking! I'm planning to wait until 6 months unless at her 4 month app
  • Yeah I can understand starting cereal earlier than 4 months if its needed but not real baby food at 2 months. It just baffled me, they aren't doing the cereal, they are feeding her jar baby food. I just find it crazy!!
  • imageelmoali:

• imageelmoali:
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • My inlaws told us to give DS cereal in his formula at one week. I ignored that crap.

6 months is recommended but this wasn't always the case. I have a REALLY hard time considering anything but a bottle/breast until a baby is sitting up. I me
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • imagerjeller32:
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imagetrombgirl:
  • We started DD on solids at 4 mos, but she was showing all the signs of readiness. She did fine and was eating tilapia and cauliflower by 7 mos. The best age to introduce foods for the least chance of allergies is 4-6 mos, so if DS is ready at 4 mos, we'll
  • my pedi told me I could start to introduce baby cereal at 4 months because my daughter was very interested in food. I ended up waiting till she was six month because I was nursing and wanted to wait. 
  • Wow, I couldn't imagine feeding my baby food so young. I know people do cereal in the bottle but jars of baby food? How do you even put them in a high chair when they can barely hold their head up? I did have a friend ask me when LO had just turne

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"