Stay at Home Moms

Separate bedrooms or playroom?

We're just starting to look at houses to buy. Ideally, I'd love to find a 3 bedroom with a bonus room, but I don't know if we'll be able to find one in our price range.
If we can't, I was thinking that the boys could continue to share a room, and use the third bedroom as a playroom? Or would you just give them their own separate rooms, with no playroom?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Separate bedrooms or playroom?

• THis depends. If the bedrooms are on the second floor I would say no playroom because then you will all be cramped in a bedroom playing. Also, if you have a formal living and a family room you could probably store toys in the family room too....I'm going
    Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  • imageletranger:
    In our house we are barely in our bedrooms. So smaller sleeping spaces bigger play spaces are important.
    </BLO
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I absolutely love our play room! If I were in your situation I'd probably have the boys share a room and use one for the play room. However, I'd keep searching for 3 bedrooms/bonus room houses. 
  • imageamy052006:

I really feel like you need to look at a house outside of the purpose it is going to serve for the next couple of y

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageamy052006:

I really feel like you need to look at a house outside of the purpose it is going to serve for the next couple of y

• imageamy052006:
    I really feel like you need to look at a house outside of the purpose it is going to serve for the next couple of years.
  • I would give them their own rooms and keep most of the toys in there just so they get use to it.  I'd put a few toysin a comon area like a family room as well.  This works for me.  You could always try it out and see what works best for

• imagedotty188:
    I would give them their own rooms and keep most of the toys in there just so they get use to it. nbsp;I'd put a few toysi
  • Are you in an area where basements are common? That could be another play room option. We were considering the separate rooms vs shared and playroom scenario when house hunting, but ultimately ended up finding a 3bdrm with a very large basement. We now

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageletranger:
    In our house we are barely in our bedrooms. So smaller sleeping spaces bigger play spaces are important.
    </BLO

• id012id012 member
    I wouldnt mind putting them in thr same room now and then having a playroom. I mean just make sure the playroom will.be a good bedroom someday.so when they are older and dont need a playroom they cam.have there own bedrooms.
    Or if they still wanted
  • imageKC_13:
    imageamy052006:</str
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My personal opinion is that since they're already sharing a room put them in the same room and have the other as a playroom.  If eventually that isn't working anymore then you'll just have to discuss the situation with them.  If they really w

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I would stick with the separate bedrooms.  I guess I really appreciated the personal space of my own bedroom growing up.  In fact, we purchased a four bedroom house because we are not sure if we are stopping at two, and I did not want any of

• We have 4BR but our 4th bedroom is HUGE. Like, 24 by 30 feet. Right now it is half a guest room and half a play room but if we have 2 boys, they are definitely both sharing that room. 

I would do shared room and a play room. When they get ol

• I hate to say it, but right in your mind will never be right in the eyes of all of the bumpies.  No matter if you have a designated toy area, toys will never stay in that area.

Do what feels right for you.  Of course, I would buy at lea

• I think kids sharing rooms is great. I shared for a while and loved it. But, I'm struggling with this with my own kids. I kind of want them to have their own rooms b/c it's easier for me--easier to handle schedules, naps, etc. Easier to store their clo

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagePunkyBooster:
    I would do shared room and a play room. When they get older, they may want their own bedrooms and by then, they will
  • We used DS2's bedroom as the playroom for a few months in our old apartment. He was 18-24 months at the time. We'd clean up the toys every night as part of the bedtime routine, it worked out fine.

Long term, you could also move them in together

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• We are in the same situation. We have three bedrooms. One is off the kitchen, so we use it as a playroom. Right now I set up a pack and play for DD while she is loud and fussy at night. The idea will be that they share a room eventually.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We are about to purchase a house very soon.  I also want 3 rooms and an extra room...or 4 bedrooms...not sure we will find one we love. If we end up with just a 3 bedroom, my two boys will FOR SURE share a bedroom and have the other as a playroom.

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"