Multiples
Options

18 month old twins not talking

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone else had this issue with their ID twins.  Our girls just turned 18 months and are still not saying anything.  Occasionally one might kind of say 'Hi' and they do a few animal sounds when prompted, but aside from that they really are not saying anything.  They babble 'mama' and 'dada' but don't say it to get our attention.  Both girls totally understand everything we are saying to them.  When asked to get a ball or bring something to us, they do it no problem. They point to things they want, to get out attention, etc.

We brought them in for their 18 month visit and the Dr. said that if they are not saying anything in another month then we should bring them in for evaluation.  I don't have a problem doing that, but also don't want to jump the gun on anything.  I've spoken with some friends and a few have said their kids didn't say anything until near or after 2 years old.  I'm also not sure if maybe the identical twin thing has any affect on speech, etc.

Any advice, similar experience that anyone could share is greatly appreciated.

Re: 18 month old twins not talking

• Options
    QE2QE2 member

My fraternal twins just turned 18 mo. In addition to hi/bye and mama/dada, which they say when pointing to a picture of me but not to get my attention, they say a few words and animal sounds when prompted. My pedi said mama/dada plus 3 words is appropr

TTC since 3/08 DOR, High FSH, Hypothyroid, Uterine Polyps, blocked tube, MFI, 5 rounds of clomid, 5 IVF attempts, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 natural conceptions=2 losses (Methotrexate, D&C) Successful DE cycle twins born 10/7/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That was right at the point where they started adding words. Like you they weren't saying much and then in like 2 months they added a ton.
    It wouldn't hurt to look into services so you know what you need to do but you might find things change quick
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My boys didn't start saying much until they were about 20 months. Now at 22 months they're in a language explosion and are adding words daily. I think a month might make a lot of difference.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageQE2:

I have been told by other parents that language can be delayed with twins. They may have words that they make up to ident

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageQE2:

My pedi said mama/dada plus 3 words is appropriate at this age.

</BLOCKQU
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I started my DS for speech-we did the referral for Early intervention, and his evaluation is actually tomorrow.  It will be interesting to see-I'm a speech and language pathologist as well!  DD is definitely ahead of the game-and I think that

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    cadencaden member
    It's not rare for multiples to have speech delays. I don't know if it's a causal factor or just related to the fact that many twins were preemies, low birth weight, etc. The ST group my boys are in has 3 sets of triplets and 2 sets of twins. There's reall
  • Options

Thank you everyone for sharing all your experiences and advice on this, it is very much appreciated.  I'm going to give the girls another month and then we'll follow up.  Just out of curiousity, do most states cover Speech Therapy?  I sa

• Options

Mine our 21 mo old now and at their 18 mo check up we brought up the same concerns.  However my boys did/do not seem to understand much of what we are saying to them.  They don't follow directions or come to their name.  The pedi referre

• Options
    imageMuseumMaven:
    My boys didn't start saying much until they were about 20 months. Now at 22 months they're in a language explosion an

• Options
    Same here. 18m identical girls born at 36w. We have maybe 4 words including mama/dada. Their 18m appt is tomorrow so Im sure we'll talk about it. Our older daughter definitely had a ton of words by now so it is quite different.

They respond

• Options

A few more things... 

If they are learning a second language they will learn to speak at a slower pace, but then it will hit a spurt where they are ahead of their peers. 

It will help if you are constantly talking and narrat

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010
  • Options
    Mine aren't old enough to talk yet, but I'd herd the same thing about twin speech delays. I read that it can be true but not necessarily, and that it can be in part because they communicate with each other, and also partly because they don't get as much o
  • Options
    cadencaden member
    imagedcoughlan:
    Thank you everyone for sharing all your experiences and advice on this, it is very much appreciated. nbsp;I'm going to g
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"