Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Pacifier weaning

My little guy is 5 1/2 months old and I want to wean him off of the pacifier while sleeping.  He was STTN since about 3 months while swaddled, we started putting him to bed unswaddled just this week.  The transition actually went pretty smoothly, he adjusted in just a few days and seems to be happy that I finally stopped stopped confining him at night :)  The only issue is, he tends to wake up a couple of times within the first few hours just wanting his nuk back and then goes right back to sleep usually.  It's not a huge deal, but I figure if he's basically sleeping all night, I should be able to sleep all night, too, right? :)  Also, him being so young seems like it will be much easier to wean him off of it now than when he's older and so much more attached.  Right now, if I start to rock him to sleep without it, he wiggles and cries until I give it to him, then he snuggles right in and is asleep usually within minutes.  How have others done this?  I would love some advice and tips as to the best ways that worked for you or others you know.  Thanks!!

Re: Pacifier weaning

• Options

I personally think that if you have found a sure fire way to soothe him, you should not take it away. You're going to need it when times get tougher, like teething, separation anxiety, ect.  I honestly don't think you'll be able to take it away wi

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I took it away the night i started sleep training (ferber). SO there was a lot of crying involved. Worked though, she doesn't need it at night anymore.
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try reading the No Cry Sleep Solution, DD was using me as a pacifier to go to sleep and the book is really helpful. I know it talks about pacifier use also, maybe check your local library it's actually a really quick read.
  • Options
    imagepuppy_love6969:
    I took it away the night i started sleep training ferber. SO there was a lot of crying involved. Worked though, she
  • Options
    We went cold turkey at 4 months. It took him a couple of nights to work through it but it has been smooth sailing ever since. I did a modified CIO. I tried to soothe him without picking him up but if he got too worked up I would pick him up until he calme
    =BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers imageimageimage
  • Options
    With DS 1 we took it around 6.5 months. Cold turkey, after already doing CIO where he normally spit it out anyway and him only having it for naps and bedtime. DD is almost 4 months and is spitting it out after she falls asleep. We currently paci pop and s
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"