VBAC

Reasons for your 1st C/S

KFED103KFED103 member

Hi Ladies,

I apologize if I am missing a previous post asking this. That's one of my pet peeves so if there is one, a link would suffice :).

If you have had a VBAC, or if your Dr has told you are a candidate for one, what was your original reason for having a c/s with your first?

I am in a mild high risk category so I am not sure I would even be able to, but all I know is my recovery was pretty rough last time and my DS will be 20 months old when this LO comes, so i might consider another option besides a RCS.

Thanks!!

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

Re: Reasons for your 1st C/S

• DD1 was breech. Frank breech when labor started and became footling breech. She was an emergency c section at that point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My water had been broken for over 24 hours, and I stopped progressing at 8cm. (I'd been at 8cm for about 4 hours when my 24-hour window was up.)

I think the reason labor stopped progressing was because DS wasn't in a very good position - sunny-side up, not aimed straight down, hand up on his head... And he had a large head, so not being positioned well really made a difference.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • i was in labor for 28 hours and kept going from 8cm to 9.5 and never got fully dilated. I also rushed to the hospital at first sign of my water breaking. definitely should have stayed home and i wouldn't have ended up with a c-section. I heard that RCS are a better recovery than an emergency section. I dont know why, but if your unable to do a vbac, maybe your recovery might be better than the last. good luck!
  • I was induced at 41w1d. 30hr into my induction I was only 4cm.  I probably threw in the towel too soon.  DD was sunny side up and not moving down at all.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • imageMolly&:
    Partial placental abruption in labor at 4cm.  I just had my successful vbac yesterday :) 

Congratulations!  

• I labored and dilated on my own (wasn't induced), and then pushed for 4+ hours with little progress. It turned out DS1 was occiput posterior (sunny-side up), and he just wasn't in a good position to come out.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Dd was frank breech.
  • Failure to progress? Descend? Pushed for three hours with no progress.

Successful vbac, entire labour from first contraction to birth was shorter than the pushing stage with ds1.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD1 was frank breech and never turned.  Scheduled c-section at 39 weeks.  DD2 is head down and my doc has OK'd VBAC, I'm waiting to go into labor.

• My water had been broken for 15 hours, I developed a fever, wasn't progressing past 5 cm, and LO's heartrate was concerning (a combination of things, any one of which might not have led to CS on its own).

Turned out that she had the cord wrapped twice around her neck and around her body so she could hardly move (would explain the heartrate and maybe why I wasn't progressing if she couldn't get into a good position).

I have not had a vbac yet, but the midwife said I was a good candidate.

• imageMolly&:
    Partial placental abruption in labor at 4cm.  I just had my successful vbac yesterday :) 

YAY!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!! :)

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageColeyHouse:
    . I heard that RCS are a better recovery than an emergency section. I dont know why, but if your unable to do a vbac, maybe your recovery might be better than the last. good luck!

I have heard this also. Hoping that's the case if I go the RCS route. Thanks :)

• I was showing early signs of preeclampsia so I was induced at 38 weeks. After 14 hours, I was given the ok to push and she just wouldn't come out. Knowing what I know now, I think it was a combination of being induced, laboring in bed all day, her position and giant head, and the fact that I had worked all night the night before and was exhausted. She was 8lb 15 oz but I don't think that her size had anything to do with my inability to push her out.

I pushed my VBAC baby out in just a few contractions.

• Oh, and my dr didn't think I was a candidate because the baby was going to be big. :::major eye roll:::
  • DD wouldn't come out after 3.5 hrs pushing. DS broke my tailbone, and shot right out. 
  • kegkeg member

I had a section because I didn't know any better. :-)  I was pregnant with twins--A was vertex, B was anything but and my OBs required both to be head down to attempt a vaginal delivery.

I successfully VBACed three weeks ago.  

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• skioskio member
    Failure to progress.

I dilated fully but DD wouldn't descend. I think I was simply a victim of the one intervention leads to another thing. Pitocin after my epi gave me severe rib/diaphragm pain and I couldn't breathe properly. I pushed for three hours and was exhausted and exasperated and swollen to the high heavens. When they took me off the pit to prep me for surgery, I wasn't even contracting anymore. My labor had shut down.

DD will be 27m when this LO arrives. I am planning a med free hypnobirth.

What is making you 'slightly high risk'? Just curious. I have past cervix issues and surgery and am also hypothyroid and I'm not letting either factor get in te way. So far, baby and I are both super healthy and if we stay that way, VBAC try it is.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • FTP. Was induced, baby wasn't ready to come and I never dilated past 4-5.
  • imagejeapplegate:

imageMolly&:

Congratulations!  

Congratulations!! :)

The reason for my first c-section was because I was 42w3d, and still high, tight and un-dilated.  I opted for the c-section rather than an induction. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageKFED103:

imageColeyHouse:
    . I heard that RCS are a better recovery than an emergency section. I dont know why, but if your unable to do a vbac, maybe your recovery might be better than the last. good luck!

I have heard this also. Hoping that's the case if I go the RCS route. Thanks :)

I had two scheduled c-sections, and while both of the recoveries were easy, my RCS recovery was just an absolute breeze.   

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageMolly&:

Congratulations!!  Story to follow soon?  :)  After you are settled, of course.   

• DS was originally breech, successful ECV at 38-ish weeks (scary how I can't remember details).  9 Days late my water started leaking so I went in thinking it was my water breaking.  24 hours later I was only a 5-6 (depending on the doctor) and he was OP.  Bad positioning with a large head, and going to the hospital too soon... my doctor didn't make it until later (she was on call somewhere else) and broke my water about 8 hours after getting to the hospital.  

Good luck! 

• I'm a good VBAC candidate but haven't had one yet. 

Reason for c/s: fetal distress after 27 hours of labor, water broken for 45 hours. I got to 8cm (got for 4 cm after 20 hours of natural labor, rest of the time was on pitocin). The cord was woven between her legs, cutting off circulation to the lower half of her body during contractions. She was born with lesions in her legs. That's probably why she wasn't descending and why I wasn't dilating faster. We had no idea what was going on until they pulled her out. I'm glad she can walk. 

My new practice said it was a fluke and not likely to happen again. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Its in my report that I was failure to progress and suspected macrosemia spelled wrong.

Ill add to that with a lack of patience from the ob and too any interventions that weren't necessary.

My midwives are confident I can VBAC even though I have GD. If I have to take meds the obs I would see are also supportive of VBACs. In fact the hospital im going to has the best VBAC and lowest csection rate in my state! Woot!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageskio:
    What is making you 'slightly high risk'? Just curious. I have past cervix issues and surgery and am also hypothyroid and I'm not letting either factor get in te way. So far, baby and I are both super healthy and if we stay that way, VBAC try it is.

I have a "Bicorunate Uterus" (heart-shaped) Baby only grows on one side so some of the risks are pre-term labor and being breech. Pretty much for the reason baby just runs out of room. However with my first he was head down and my water broke at 38 weeks. I had a full day of labor until his heart rate dropped super low and they decided to C/S. He had a bunch of cord around his neck so I guess it was the right call. I really had a "whatever will be will be" attitude about my birthing plan since I was expecting a C/S all along.

My major reasons for event attempting a VBAC would be the recovery. Can't imagine chasing after my DS who will be 20 months, with the way I felt last time. But if the Dr even would consider it, it would obviously be a decision made close to my due date. 

• imagekeg:

I successfully VBACed three weeks ago.  

Congrats!!! :)

• I went into labor at 29w, 6d due to a placental abruption and PPROM (water broke), but never dilated, so it was an emergency c section to stop me from bleeding out and save DD (I had no fluid left). 

I am a good VBAC candidate since the abruption was a freak thing last time and I clearly have no issues going into labor on my own, lol! 

• I was a victim of circumstance.  Induced at just about 42 weeks (NST showed a 9lb baby and she was 9lb 4oz at birth) with just cirvadil (sp?).  Labored for 18 hours until I begged for the epi.  Something wasn't right but I was too out of it to say hey this isn't right.  The pain was centered on my hip socket.  After 4 attempts to get the epi in (over an hour and 2 Drs) I got to 10 and pushed for an hour only to be delivering her forehead and nothing else.  Dr said the words risk for Cerebral Palsy and that was it.  Ended up being put under for c/s since the epi wasn't fully working.  She was trying to exit via my hip and was O/P.  Had I said something earlier on about how the contractions felt  we might have tried to move around and get her head down and not angled.  She was lying at about a 45 degree angle.  Basically if she had been well positioned I likely would have gone into labor on my own and most likely wouldn't have needed the epi or c/s.  We are TTC soon and my OB isn't delivering babies but has told me if I can find a vbac provider I should be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm a good candidate bc my first was born vaginally second was emergency csection due to baby's heart rate dropping really low when I was 7 cm!! I was so close that second time!!! Hoping things go smoothly this time!!
    Emmerson 3/23/10 Asher 2/7/12 Baby boy due 10/17/13
  • DD was not positioned correctly.  I dialated to 10 and pushed for 2 hours but she wasn't moving.  I blame it on being a first time, younger mom who started labor at night, went the hospital right away and got an epidural so I could get some sleep and labored the whole time in bed.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Never labored.  DS was complete breech from 28 weeks on!  Had my  c section at 38 weeks b/c small contractions did start.  HATED my section and recovery...def attempting a VBAC next time!  My DS will be 3 in August and probably 4 1/2 by the time LO#2 comes...who knows?
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• I was a failure to descend, pushed for almost 3 hours and she wouldn't come down.  I think I just had too many interventions, was too exhausted, and got to the 24 after the water broke mark.  My VBAC was so much better!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD1 was an IUGR baby (restricted growth). We monitored her for about 4 weeks and her fluid level just kept decreasing and she wasn't growing, so they induced at 38 weeks. I never really progressed and she really didn't handle the contractions well (her heart rate was really erratic). They kept turning off the pitocin because it made her heart rate return to normal, and as soon as they turned off the pitocin contractions stopped completely. So I had a c-section. With DD2 I went into labor the evening before her due date and she was born the next morning.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My csection was actually with our second child. She was breech/sideways and causing a ton of horrible back pain. I went in thinking I was in labor but it was just all the pain of her laying on my nerves. So they gave me some Demirol via IV. Except, turns out I'm allergic to Demirol. I passed out, my blood pressure dropped to 45/30 and her heart rate dropped dangerously low. When I came to they were shaking my tummy to get her heart rate back up. We were both stabilized and my OB happened to be there checking on another patient. He said "I can't send you home and risk this happening again so we're going to deliver her today." They did a scan and she was still sideways so we prepped for surgery and she was born an hour later.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DS was breech. Transverse breech after water broke, so very difficult to turn more at that point. I was also a good candidate because I had gone into labor naturally and progressed fairly quickly.

OB would have been more hesitant if I had labored for a long time, but not progressed, or stalled for some reason, or had not been in labor before, but those would not have been reasons not to try at all.

• DD was born at 36weeks due to pre-e. I was induced (foley bulb, pit, broke water) labored for 18hrs with horrendous back labor, finally agreed to an epi, labored for another 12hrs and only progressed to 5-6cm. At that point my water had been broken 24hrs, but my cervix also started to swell. So we had to go with a c-section. I know the primary reason labor failed was because my body and DD weren't ready to be born. Secondary to that, I had to be on magnesium for the pre-e so that I wouldn't seize. Magnesium is actually used to stop pre-term labor so I had a case of dueling drugs (Mag vs Pit) and was hoping the pit would win, which it didn't. Also, DD was in a posterior position with her head arched back instead of her chin tucked to her chest which most definitely didn't help the siutuation either.  

I will most defintiely attempt a VBAC for my next pregrancy, most likely even if a mild case of pre-e surfaces again (which is unlikely according to my midwife). My c-section was horrible. the epi wasn't working properly and I felt the majroity of the c-section happening other then the first incision, and recovery although not bad would be so much better with a VBAC.

• My presenting twin was breech.  I did have a successful vaginal delivery with DS1, absolutely NO complications.  I know as far as my body was concerned that I'd be a candidate since I did have a successful vaginal delivery, I pretty much just had to make sure that I was a candidate based on my incision, OB, and hospital policy. 

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • DS was too high up, didn't respond well to pit resulting in him turning transverse during my induction, and c-section it was.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD was breech and expected to be 11lbs... She was breech but only 8lbs15oz... they were half right...lol
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"