1st Trimester

Early ultrasound for gender determination... good idea?

All was well at my 12 week appointment today, and the doctor told me I would be back again for a routine check at 16 weeks and then the next ultrasound would be at 20 weeks. Then we had a conversation that went something like this:

Me: How would you feel about me going to one of those 3D ultrasound places at 15 weeks for a gender determination?

Dr: I am strongly opposed to that. They are going to make you sign a bunch of paperwork stating that they will not tell you if anything is wrong with the baby. They will just tell you the gender. So that ultrasound tech could be looking at something wrong with the baby, and then not tell you about it. Which I understand they have to do that to protect themselves, but the whole reason you will have your next ultrasound is to check anatomy-- not really gender. That's just a plus. Your insurance company does not pay for that ultrasound to tell you the gender. It's for anatomy. 

Me: I understand. But they are not a doctor's office.  I would not want them to tell me if something is wrong with the baby. They are not my doctor. I simply just want them to tell me the sex of the baby. And even if there were something wrong, if I don't go, I still won't know if something is wrong until 20 weeks when you do the ultrasound. So what difference would it really make as long as the extra ultrasound doesn't hurt the baby.

Dr: I still wouldnt do it, but you do what you want.

Yikes! Maybe I just should not have asked and just gone ahead and done it. What would you all do? I see her point she is making, but either way I won't know if something is wrong with the baby until 20 weeks, whether I go to the 15 week gender determination appointment or not. This would just simply be to find out the sex. Plus, sometimes they are wrong. I thought by doing this 15 week appointment, and then confirming the sex at 20 week appointment would be a good thing before I start decorating "all boy" or "all girl."

Re: Early ultrasound for gender determination... good idea?

• Also need to add--- that I already had made a 15 week appointment at that early gender determination ultrasound place, and I asked them If I needed something signed from my doctor saying I could come. And they said "No, but when you check in we will as

• 15 weeks is really early to be able to determine the sex of the baby. If you only need to wait a few more weeks for your anatomy scan, I wouldn't waste my money. Then, after your a/s, if you want further confirmation or were unable to see the sex of the b
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I agree with your doctor. I would listen to him.

Also, the accuracy is suspect to me on those early elective scans. Why would you ask your doctor then argue with him about it? If you didn't want his opinion then don't bother asking, KWIM?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagePrimRoseMama:

Yeah, I agree with your doctor. I would listen to him.

Also, the accuracy is suspect to me on those earl

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Wow PrimRose-- I've seen you a lot on here, and you always seem to be a very negative person. I am very accepting of people's opinions on here, but I think it's best that everyone give theirs in a kind way. 

I am not gender obsessed, I

• imageMum2Be28:

Wow PrimRose-- I've seen you a lot on here, and you always seem to be a very negative person. I am very accepting of

• Mabenner-- Just a personal preference. The bedding I chose is actually gender neutral so we can hopefully use it again since it is custom, but If it's a boy I may pull out some greens and blues from the fabric for the wall and curtains, and if it's a girl
  • imagemabenner1:
    imageMum2Be28:</
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Jackson-- Thank you! That's a good idea.

• FWIW, I did not have to sign any paper work.  Also, many of the elective u/s places will not see you until 16 weeks.  

It's your decision if you want to spend the extra money and go.  I would have waited until my 20w anatomy s

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
  • imageAFwifelife:

I wouldn't do it at 15 weeks.  I had an appt. at 16w5d where we got to sneak a peek at the sex and it stil

imageimage

• I am super impatient so if my U/S tech can't tell at the 12 week scan then I will probably pay for the 3D scan. I can't wait to start shopping for nursery items!

Don't worry about the negative moms . There are a lot of militant crazies that po

imageimage

• imagekatyj25:

We will be doing an elective scan to determine the sex. It is not that we can't wait until the A/S, it is that our 2

• i found out at 16 weeks but only because i am high risk and has an u/s to check on other things .. but i think u should do what u want if u want to spend the money on it go for it ;) good luck and congrats !
  • imagekatyj25:

We will be doing an elective scan to determine the sex. It is not that we can't wait until the A/S, it is that our

imageimage

• imagemabenner1:
  • imagePrimRoseMama:

Yeah, I agree with your doctor. I would listen to him.

Also, the accuracy is suspect to me on those earl

EDD for #2 is December 8th, 2013, so excited for our 2nd team green baby! 

• imagekatyj25:

it is that our 2 year wedding anniversary happens to fall shortly before the A/S and MH and I feel that spendin

EDD for #2 is December 8th, 2013, so excited for our 2nd team green baby! 

• imagemabenner1:

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• I think you're missing the point of what your doctor is saying.  Something that no one has mentioned is that ULTRASOUND WAVES ARE KNOWN TO ALTER CELLS.  The reason why most women only have a couple of u/s is to minimize the potential impact t

Diagnosed with PCOS
    TTC Since 2009
    July 2011- IUI #1 BPN (Clomid, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Aug 2011- IUI Cancelled (Clomid, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Sept 2011- IUI Cancelled (Clomid, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Oct 2011- IUI Cancelled (Clomid, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Nov 2011- IUI #2 BPN (Femara, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Took a break and then found a new RE
    Oct 2012- IUI #3 BPN (Follistim, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    Nov 2012- IUI #4 (Follistim, Ovidrel, Crinone)
    BFP on November 29th
    Pregnancy was ectopic and terminated on December 8th
  • imageJenniferChess:

I think you're missing the point of what your doctor is saying.  Something that no one has mentioned is

imageimage

• imageJenniferChess:

I think you're missing the point of what your doctor is saying.  Something that no one has mentioned is th

• imageMum2Be28:

Wow PrimRose-- I've seen you a lot on here, and you always seem to be a very negative person. I am very accepting of

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageonewayticket:

I am super impatient so if my U/S tech can't tell at the 12 week scan then I will probably pay for the 3D scan.

• imageMum2Be28:

• imageJocelynB0911:
    imageonewayti
    imageimage

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageMum2Be28

• You could also look into the blood test that let's you know the sex. It is very accurate and not harmful at all to the baby :) 
    DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
  • Although I wouldn't trust the training of most elective u/s places, sex determination at 12-13 weeks is very accurate when done by someone with proper training.  There is a peer reviewed study done on sex determination this early to rule out the n

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I found out at 13 weeks, then reassured at 16! I recommend it!!!
  • You're welcome.  No, they're not safe, but doctors and radiologists are trained on how to mitigate the risk.  Under certain frequencies and for short periods of time, research has proven that next to no harm is done to cells and doctors know

Diagnosed with PCOS
    TTC Since 2009
    BFP on November 29th
  • I'd love to, but all of the research I did was in paid, proprietary databases so I can't just link to articles.  In order to find this information, check out your local library's website.  Click on the database Ebsco.  It's a user-friendly
    Diagnosed with PCOS
    TTC Since 2009
    BFP on November 29th
  • imageJenniferChess:
    You're welcome.nbsp; No, they're not safe, but doctors and radiologists are trained on how to mitigate the risk.nbsp
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageack2002:
    imageJenniferChess
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did say TO ME they are ridiculous.  I may not be a trained doctor, but I have a brain that I use to critically think with and I strongly believe in doing your own research and being your own advocate.  I've read a lot of information on all

Diagnosed with PCOS
    TTC Since 2009
    BFP on November 29th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"