Breastfeeding

Help! Biting, scratching, pinching baby!

DS has pretty much always "kneaded" my boobs while he eats, which is annoying but tolerable. I do my best to distract him but I'm covered in scratches. He has recently started biting, which is not tolerable. He has 2 bottom teeth and he bites then pulls his head back. I'm in so much pain and not enjoying nursing anymore, I have major fear and anxiety everytime I need to nurse him. He does it pretty much every time.

Has anyone been able to stop this behavior and continue their BFing relationship? I don't want to quit, ds is only 6 mos but its so terrifying for me. I've been putting him down and ignoring him for a couple minutes when he bites but he thinks it's cute. Any suggestions? I need help!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help! Biting, scratching, pinching baby!

• I think I'm going to have to try that.I've been reading that you should try NOT to scare the baby but ignoring him isnt working. It seems like he thinks it's a game. He bites, I take him off, put him down and he smiles then cries after being ignored fo

• The initial biting phase sucks :(

I used to yell. Not on purpose, but because it hurt and that was my initial reaction when my innocent little angel suddenly chopped. I would unlatch her and go "No. No bite mommy. Bite makes mommy sad. No more mi

• Loading the player...
  • We had a similar issue.  Tried most of these but also when I knew he was going to bite/starting to pull back I would push him not breast and say no. He usually broke the latch before biting. Then we start again 
  • Thanks ladies. I'm hoping we get this figured out soon. I can't take it much longer. I even considered EPing for a while today but I dont have the patience or the dedication for that. I'm way too lazy!

• When my daughter started doing that... After a few times I would loudly say ouch loud enough to startle her but not scare her and put her on my knees facing away. I only had to do it a few times and she stopped.
  • I tried setting him down, I tried saying no, no, that hurts mommy, I tried stern talking a bit louder. None of it worked. I found a site that said to pay attention and push their head into your breast when they bite which will cause them to unlatch so I s
  • My LO usually bites when she is done nursing and is just sucking for fun/comfort. If I put her down when she isn't actively nursing anymore she doesn't bite. HTH.
  • He hasn't bit for the last few sessions so we're doing better. We were also out of town, staying in a hotel for nights and a hospital during the day for the last 3 days so I think that was contributing to the biting. We're home now and it's going much bet

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"