Adoption

How much paid time off do you get for adoption (if you work)

I am checking into this now and I work for a large financial instituiton.It seems I get 6 weeks paid off, 14 unpaid max (total of 20). Maternity leave is 15 weeks paid. Really frustrating. Anyone else have similar/different company policies?

Re: How much paid time off do you get for adoption (if you work)

• I got NO paid time off..just 3 months unpaid with job security because of FMLA, but I quit and became a SAHM anyhow.  You are lucky to get 6 weeks paid..it is unfair..sigh
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got normal FMLA and if I wanted any of that paid I had to use my sick leave and vacation leave.  So I used a lot of sick leave for my time off.
    Me- 37, DH- 32. TTC- June 2010- Adoption journey started April 2012 image
  • Loading the player...
  • haha I guess I shouldn't complain then? I just don't think the time off with maternity and adoption leave is really that fair (although i'm sure I could find someone who disagrees with me). I will still be taking care of an infant as well. True, I am n

• imageNextChapter24:

I am checking into this now and I work for a large financial instituiton.It seems I get 6 weeks paid off, 14 un

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If you are in the US, then FMLA requires you get at least 12 weeks unpaid. Each employer is different in paying during those weeks. Of those 12, my employer paid me for 6 and allowed me to take vacation and sick time to cover anything else I wanted to tak
    Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Amy-- Do you mind if I ask how much time you took? I am just trying to plan and to me 6 weeks doesn't sound like a lot of time. I was shocked when I realized only 6 of it was paid. I was thinking more along the lines of 4 months.
  • By the way, differentiating between adoption and maternity leave is so unbelievably awful. My employer does not distinguish between the two, but I can tell you that I absolutely would have been offended enough to say something to HR if they had made the t
    Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's all over the map, depending on where you work.

I was lucky in that my company treated birth or adoption the same, and classified it as taking time off to bond with a child, period. I got 12 weeks of FMLA. But the first 2 weeks were full pay

• Thanks Lafayette!

I will have to look into this further. I may have had unrealistic expectations (haha)

• I was lucky and was able to take 11 weeks, but you have to use time off you have accrued.  Our union gives us 2 weeks (given for paternity or maternity, regardless of bio/adopting).  I used 7 weeks of sick time, and 2 weeks of vacation.  We
    Adoption Blog Updated 2/15
  • imagelafayettegirl:
    By the way, differentiating between adoption and maternity leave is so unbelievably awful. My employer does not
  • No paid time off. I had to use FMLA (up to 12 weeks - which I'm taking the full 12). And I had to drain my PTO account, which I did after 2 days. So essentially I'm entirely unpaid.
    :::FOLLOW MY HALF MARATHON TRAINING:::

:::Our Adoption Journey:::

Evan James was born 1/24/13 and matched with us 2/20/13. The LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!
  • imageMush-Tastic:
    No paid time off. I had to use FMLA (up to 12 weeks - which I'm taking the full 12). And I had to drain my PTO accou
  • imageMush-Tastic:
    No paid time off. I had to use FMLA (up to 12 weeks - which I'm taking the full 12). And I had to drain my PTO ac
  • Wow! I feel beyond super blessed--I have accrued 9wks of sick leave (over 7 years without using any) and have banked 8 wks of PTO. FMLA lets me have full 12 wks off, and I can use sick time and PTO, so I will be at home with a full paycheck. And it c
    Trying to Add Baby #1 Since 12/2008
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    Spring 2010: 3 Clomid + TI
    Jan 2011: 2 Femara IUI's
    Summer 2011: 6 months of Chiropractic Therapy
    March 2012: Confirmed Agency, Meeting set
    July 2012: Homeopath consult (fail!)
    July 2012: Start of Agency Meetings/Paperwork
    October 2012: Agency Interview
    February 2013: Tenative Agency Training
    March 2013: Tenative Homestudy start date
  • I'm self employed, so I get no paid time.  MH's company has FMLA but that's unpaid...  same for maternity/paternity/adoption.  They also have adoption assistance.  They make it very clear that adoptive parents get the same benefits as
    My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
    Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

• imageNextChapter24:

imagelafa
  • imageDr.Loretta:
    imageNextChapte
  • I'm starting a new job Monday. From what I can tell I can be paid using vacation hours once accrued and after that I will only have FMLA unpaid job protection, assuming I have worked enough hours to qualify before we are placed. I am luckily planning to b
  • All of my leave was unpaid. I did not qualify for the maternity pay as I had not given birth. I'm so thankful for FMLA at least giving me the opportunity to take the time, even if unpaid but anything paid would have been TONS better. 
    Little Slick
    Born 6.26.10
    Forever a Family 11.26.12
  • imageNextChapter24:

But does it really take 6 weeks more to recover from giving birth? Sorry if I am coming off harsh. I am a bi

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I took 8 unpaid weeks, and I didn't even have FMLA. I had only worked at my company for 4 months when DD was born, but I shared our adoption process in my interview. They were only going to allow me two weeks, unless I found my own replacement. Luckily

I became a mother because of adoption. She is the absolute love of my life. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker formerly known as sw_in_kc
  • In my current job I get 8 weeks paid parental leave. Since I'm faculty, they can't plop me into a course halfway through a semester- so instead they give me reassigned admin time---which basically means I get an entire semester off/working from home. H

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I ended up taking off about 7 weeks but that's kind of deceptive because I went back the week of Thanksgiving for 2 days and then took the rest of that week off holiday leave. And then I worked half time for a week and half and then worked 2.5 weeks unti
    Me- 37, DH- 32. TTC- June 2010- Adoption journey started April 2012 image
  • Thanks everyone for your insight.

I am probably going to lobby hr to change this policy. Well have to see. I doubt they will change but I agree it would be worth it and I do have time.

Anyone who has had any experience in this
  • I work for the government, and I have to use FMLA leave with no paid time off.  I will have used up all my vacation time traveling during the adoption process, so since I will be totally unpaid, I plan to take about six weeks off max.  With DD,
    TTC #2, Operative hysteroscopy March 2011; IVF #1 long lupron protocol April 2011-cancelled due to poor response; IVF #2 flare protocol May 2011=hospitalization due to abdominal hemorrhage during ER and no fert due to MFI issues. Moving onto international adoption from Moldova January 2013!
  • imageNextChapter24:
    Thanks everyone for your insight. I am probably going to lobby hr to change this policy. Well have t
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
  • My job at the time we got B offered no PTO for maternity/adoption. I used my 1 week of vacation and took 2 weeks unpaid. My current job offers. 12 weeks at 100 and 4 weeks at 50.
    Brenda & Phillip married 10/10/09 

After 6 years of failed cycles, we were blessed with our little man through adoption. 
    B born 1/3/2012. Adoption finalized 12/27/12

Back  on the IF crazy train...
    Sept 2013 - IVF #1 -  BFP, EDD 6/4/14, born 6/8/14
    Everyone welcome

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"