June 2013 Moms

How far away is your hospital? & opinion needed!

My in-laws are very disappointed that my DH & I decided to go to a smaller hospital 40 minutes away from our home. This hospital is in my hometown, with, in my opinion, the best OB (& the only OB I was comfortable with). It has caused some drama, which I haven't let bother me. But, with that being said, it's still on my mind.

My question: Is 40 minutes away from the hospital unreasonable? I'm a FTM & just need some reassurance! My family lives 2 blocks from the hospital & my DH & I plan on staying at their house 1 week before my due date (unless I go into labor early, we have to make the drive).

Edit: One more thing- we have a Children's hospital 10 minutes away & MIL thinks it's absurd that we would go somewhere else. I just want a more relaxed environment than a huge, impersonal hospital.

Re: How far away is your hospital? & opinion needed!

• My sisters is about an hour away, and although I wouldn't personally like that, she loves it.

To me, if that's the OB you are comfortable with, then that's what you should do. No use in going some place if you're not comfortable You would just w

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My hospital will be 5 min away from my new place that we move into next month...

I don't think 40 minutes is unreasonable at all, especially if your OB is there. I'd rather be somewhere farther and comfortable with the OB and staff than to

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    I don't think it's too unreasonable. Ours is about 25 minutes away. I would have preferred to deliver at the one 10 minutes away, not because of the distance but because I like it better, but my OB is affiliated with the further one. I didn't want to swit
  • With my first we were about 30 minutes away. I chose a smaller hospital then the huge one that was 5 minutes from my house becuase it was where I felt most comfortable. With this LO I am delivering 45 minutes away from home. We will not be staying anywher
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • skioskio member
    No, not unreasonable at all. I wouldn't even go stay elsewhere beforehand; I think that's a doable drive in labor and I'm much more comfortable at home. I plan to labor at home for many hours this time [labored at home for 8 hours last time and was only 2
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • We live in a small city with only one hospital that does babies. Decision made.

That being said - you need to do what is most comfortable for you.

• A friend of mine used a hospital that was an hour and fifteen min. from her house. She was very happy with that hospital and that is where she wanted to go.

She did choose to leave her house a little earlier so she wouldent be in as much pain in

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My hospital is probably 25 minutes on a good day, with light traffic. Otherwise, it could take us 40 minutes (or more) to get there- and the exit is in a construction zone, so yay. I'm not concerned- and I'm a FTM.

My family has had travel times

imageimage
    Our lil' diva: late like her Momma: 40 weeks 5 days!
  • I don't think that's too far.  My hospital is about 30 minutes away (can be faster if there's no traffic, and will definitely be longer if there's a lot of traffic) - and I feel pretty comfortable with that.

Since you're planning on staying

BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • imageSouthSideDrea:

I'm traveling an hour to the hospital even though there are several closer. The c section rates are too high fo

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• The hospital I am going to is about 15 minutes away, but quite a few women in town drive to a larger hospital that is 45 minutes away. I am a FTM, but I don't see 40 minutes being a big deal. I don't understand why grandparents feel they have the 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My hospital is 20 to 30 min away so I think am extra 10 min is really not that much. Plus you said you plan on staying near there unless you go earlier so I think it's fine. It's your baby and delivery. Do what makes you comfortable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our hospital is about 35 min away (45 from my work) in the middle of the day or night, probably about an hour+ during rush hour. We chose this hospital because it is where my FIL works and he helped us pick an OB (who we love).

There are a coupl

• If you are worried about 40 min away being unreasonable then you will prob want to check me into a psych ward! 

My Hospital is 2.5 hours away from my house. There are a couple of tiny hospitals closer to me but none that are e

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • My hsp is 15 min away...the way he drives, it's about 6 mins.

• Up until last night, my hospital was about 15 minutes away. But now, I am high-risk delivery only, so I will be with my MFMs at a Level III facility about 40 minutes away.

I agree with others though, I wouldn't stay with your parents for a week.

photo AlbumsWideColorBump_zps1797df63.jpg

We lost our first (EDD 07/23/12) after finding out at 12 weeks there was no longer a heartbeat. Our rainbow was born 05/22/13 and was worth all we went through.

“So can you understand? Why I want a daughter while I’m still young? I wanna hold her hand and show her some beauty before all this damage is done. But if it’s too much to ask, it’s too much to ask … Then send me a son.” – Arcade Fire
  • I am about 40 mins away from my hospital and was about the same from the hospital that I used when I had DS.  I know plenty of women that have lived well over a half hour from their birthing hospitals and none of them had an issue.  General
  • My hospital is 45 min - 1 hour away...  It wasn't our choice though so everyone is dealing with it.

I say do what you want, they will deal with it. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageSouthSideDrea:

But I think you are insane to stay at your parents house for a week so you'll be closer to a hospital only 4

• Trust in your OB and feeling comfortable should be over how far away it is.  If you feel okay with it all, then it is okay.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our hospital is about 25 minutes away, but it's also the closest hospital to us, so it was either this hospital or one even further away. I love my OB's office so I'm glad it worked out this way.

As long as you feel comfortable with it, I don't t

• Since labor can last for up to 24 hours or more, I think you're fine.Even a fast labor for most people is a few hours. 40 minutes is nothing.

My hospital is about 15 - 20 min away. I have a friend who drove herself to the hospital 40 minutes

~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
  • Mine is about 15 minutes away. I don't think 40 minutes is too far. But I also dont think you need to stay at your parents' house either. I was induced, but still labored for 6 to 8 hours before DD arrived.

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• Nope I think that's reasonable because its what YOUR comfortable with. Your the one popping a baby out. My hospital is kinda far too. Idk the exact time maybe 2030 mins away? With the freeway!
  • I live about 45 mins from the hospital I'm going to deliver at. I also live 15 mins from another hospital. Unless something going wrong, I will deliver at the one that's 45 mins away because that's the only one my OB will deliver at. If there is some kind
    Eleanor Carter-Lynn born 6.4.13, 17 days early, natural birth
    Tetraolgy of Fallot discovered 6.5.13, Open Heart Surgery 10.7.13

(I never see Siggys... I'm always on moblie)
    Ps- My iphone make me sound dumb sometimes... 
  • My hospital is 2 hours away in rush hour, and 45 min off peak. We aren't happy with the drive, but the Hospital of the University of PA (HUP) is world class and CHOP is across the street (CHOP pediatricians staff HUP L&D)

Our strategy i

**Child and Loss Mentioned**

~~~God's Promises are Good and True! ~~~

Baby boy born 6/3/13 after 13 cycles :)
    Angel Baby Loss November 2018.
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My hospital is about 15 minutes away, but I also live in the middle of a city with quite a few reputable hospitals very close by. If I didn't I would definitely travel 40 minutes to go to a hospital where I would be comfortable with the OB I liked. I wond
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • About 10 minutes from home.  But I used to work 45 mins to an hour from here, so I really don't think 40 mins is that far.  If that's where you want to deliver, I don't see an issue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Our hospital is about 20 minutes away. I was very much in labor on the way for DD1, so it was the ride from hell, but I am so happy we were at that smaller hospital instead of the huge one that is only 10 minutes away.
  • In my opinion, 40 minutes away from a hospital isn't too bad at all.  Yes in your case there's a closer one but it's important to also feel comfortable with the hospital you're planning to deliver at and 40 minutes isn't a huge ways away when it c

• The closest hospital to us is a minimum of 45 minutes away in good traffic. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Not crazy.

Don't bother staying with your family for the sake of the distance either. I labored in the car for almost an hour last time and it was doable. I just kind of banged on the armrest during contractions. Contractions started at mid
  • From work, 45 ish: from home, 1530 mins depending on traffic.

Your ILs are being crazy. You'll be fine.

CJ 05/29/2013

• With no traffic I am about 25 min away from the hospital.  In traffic it could be up to an hour (Chicago suburbs).  I think 40 min is just fine.  Especially for your first.  Typically your first comes slower.  I've known people

• I will deliver at the same hospital as I did with my first, an hour and a half away.

I live 25 minutes from 2 hospitals. They have insane C section rates and frankly I wouldn't bring my pets there for treatment.

Driving the dist

• My OB's office and the hospital I'll deliver at are both an hour away with no traffic. It's always been fine and I delivered DS there with no problem. I wouldn't deliver somewhere I wasnt' comfortable and I don't really see why what your ILs think is even

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We live in the sticks so our hospital is about 40 minutes away. I'm not worried about it. I plan on laboring at home as long as possible and my OB encourages that. I'm a FTM too. I feel pretty in tune with my body so I'm sure that between the reading I

• Mine is about 30-45 minutes away. The reason it varies so much is  that it is only a one lane highway the whole way there, and you have to cross a 5 mile bridge across the Columbia River to get there. We live in a tourist town, sometimes you get stuc
  • imagenowuseeme4407:

If you are worried about 40 min away being unreasonable then you will prob want to check me into a psych&n

• I have yet to read a story about a woman going into labor on her way to the hospital. The typical labor time can be anywhere from 6 hrs - 2 days, so whats the rush? Although my hospital is 15 min from home and my work, i told my hubby to keep me home a

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"