February 2013 Moms

People stare...

If I had a dime for every time I hear "you sure have your hands full" when I'm out in public, I would be rich.  I just got back from the grocery store with all four kids and people just seem to gawk or something.  I mean, I know our family is considered large by American standards and the kids are pretty close in age, but four kids really doesn't seem like a freak show to me.  I know people with a whole lot more!

How many kids seems outrageous to you, personally?

Re: People stare...

• Around here? More than three. People here view it as quality over quantity and with the amount of enrichment, sports, tutors etc. you would be incapable of managing more than three. Plus a three bedroom
    1900 sq ft house is about a million bucks and
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • The Duggars
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Right now with a very young child, I marvel at anyone with more than one kid. I don't know how you ladies do, but major props to you all.

I'm a twin and have two older brothers, so four doesn't seem too out there to me. That being said, I th
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • I grew up in a small town with a large family (my dad is one of 11, I am one of 4 etc).  I would love to have as many kids I can but unfortunately it's not in the card for us and these two are it.

I probably would only gawk in public if I s

M & M
    06/12 - BFP!!!!
    Beta #1 15dpo - 256
    Beta #2 18dpo - 1097
    6wk U/S on 07/02 ~ TWINS!!!
    EDD 02/21/13
    09/10/12 Found out it's two Boys!!!! Sam and Jake
    Jacob and Samuel born 1/29/13 at 36 weeks. photo F489900B-BB44-4C44-ACD1-ABB73509E3B2-9032-000005E7AE7EF53E.jpg Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image2moms2b:
    I grew up in a small town with a large family my dad is one of 11, I am one of 4 etc.nbsp; I would love to have as many ki
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecaladpi02:
    Around here? More than three. People here view it as quality over quantity and with the amount of enrichment, spo

• For me, personally, I gawk at nothing. A lot of children usually impresses me, not shocks me, but most people around here with many kids are Amish or farmers, etc. and live outside the city. I haven't witnessed gawking at these families first hand but

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm the oldest of 4, we're all 2ish years apart, and my mom did in-home daycare when we were kids. I lived in a Boston suburb and can remember her walking us a few blocks to the park with our neighbor (who also had 4 of her own) with the 3-4 daycare ki

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • I'm one of 3 and DH is one of 4.  Lots of our friends have 3-4 kids, so that's normal to me.  I would have that many but DH says only 2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know that I would consider any particular number outrageous. Here in Germany the birth rate is very low, though, so it's unusual to have more than 2, although in our Christian circles we know plenty of families with more. That is not the norm here

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I think 5 to 6 is kind of crazy. 7 or more is outrageous. I'd notice a family with four kids, but wouldn't find it absurd. My parents both come from families of 5 to 6 children and I love having so many aunts and uncles and cousins. So I would never truly
  • I'm one of 4 and my husband is one of 6 so I guess we both grew up in freak shows!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • I was also going to say The Duggars. :)  I would probably gawk at you - sorry.  I can't imagine having four kids, but that's why I would be gawking, imagining the disaster I would be.  So, it wouldn't really have anything

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image+adamwife+:

imagecaladpi
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hmm... I think 4 is a pretty normal number. I know lots of families with 4 kids, especially from church. 5 is pushing it, but I wouldn't side eye it. For me, anymore than 6 kids is "outrageous."
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• I get this all the time also....and usually everyone comments how funny it is that we have two bleach blonde children and two with dark brown hair.....or I get "oh you finally got your girl"  which is kind of annoying.  I guess people think I ke
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." - Dr. Seuss
                         Mom to 3 wonderful boys( 6, 4, 20 months), and one little lady ( born 2/17).
  • My coworker has 4.  Everyone acts like she is crazy/super mom.  I don't see it. Any time I have an issue with pregnancy or the children, I get told to ask her.  It drives me nuts!  End rant.....

i think more than 2 is consider

• I am one of 4 and have tons of cousins all my aunts/uncles have at least 3 kids. Later on in life when I am married and more stable I would love a house full of children they are a blessing IMO.. I'm not sure what my limit would be but there are a few peo
  • People think I'm crazy for wanting more than 2 kids. I mentioned baby 3 sometime and my aunt and uncle nearly fell out of their chairs.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I see four kids as the upper end of "normal" or "average". I think that it's easier to see it as intense when they're closely packed in age, because it *is* more work that way, imo. But I don't think that means that the person was less responsible or a

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• image+adamwife+:

imagecaladpi02:<
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My best friend came from a family of 10 kids. 6 biological 4 adopted (cousins). I practically lived over at her house so it was kinda cool to see the dynamics of a family like that. They're awesome people.

Personally more than six biological kid

Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • imagecaladpi02:
    image+adamwi

• imagecaladpi02:
    image+adamwife+:
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• I think food is the biggest cost.  If we lived in an urban area, we couldn't afford to feed our kids quality food.  We would probably have to increase the amount of processed stuff they are eating.

Living in rural America helps when you

• I live in an urban area where most couples don't start families until later and there is a huge focus on careers. It also costs A LOT of money to raise kids here because space is expensive and the public schools are terrible in the city. Lots of families
  • Around here 2 seems to be the most common number. 3 isn't unheard of, 4 is less common and I don't know a single family with 5+ (I have an aunt and uncle who had 5 but they're all adults now). Only children are very common here as well, far more common

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecoffeecream:
    imagead

• I come from a family of 6 kids, so anything more than that surprises me. But now all my siblings have no more than 2, and all DH's siblings are the same except his oldest sister who has 3.

I hate how society looks down on large families. I've ALW

• imageverovladamir:

I'm the oldest of 6, so it takes ore than that for me to stare. But people would always say to my mom "WOW! Ar

• imagecoffeecream:
    I'm glad you enjoyed it! I was just crying to DH about how I feel like a horrible mom last night, and after I p

• I'm envious of your four. I grew up the third of four, and would love to give my baby girl sisters and brothers to grow up with. My siblings are my closest friends, and I can only hope desperately that we wil be able to have another. Congratulations to yo
    Me 37 DH 40 TTC since 1/11 DOR AMH .34 DH S/A Great BFP 12/11! MC 1/12 IUI #1 2/12 BFN. IUI #2 3/12 BFN. IUI #3 4/12 BFN IVF #1 5/12 BFP! DD 2/13/12
  • I want 4 but DH only wants 2.  Our compromise is 3, but this is our first.  I think 5 and up would really be a handful.
  • imagebustdstuff:
    The Duggars

this 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageTeacher Clark:
    imagesararn2
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm one of 5, my mom is one of 13 (and most of her siblings have a bunch of kids), so big families don't faze me at all. I love them! I hope to have a big family too! 

You are giving your kids the best gift ever, their siblings. My relations

• Hey mama! I've been MIA for a while but just wanted to say that I find myself "gawking" at moms out with multiple kids, all well behaved...that impresses me so much I can't help but gawk. I would just take it as a compliment and keep on going :)
  • imageGeeksWithSqueaks:

imageb
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"