Stay at Home Moms

Anyone with kindergarteners

Is your kindergartener taking a standardized test this year? DS brought home info about it yesterday. This is the first year our state is giving it in K. They are taking the SESAT2. All other grades take the TCAP(TN comprehensive assessment).

Just curious if other states are giving Kindergarten tests as well and what your opinion on it is.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone with kindergarteners

• My DS1 will be in kindergarten next year.   The only standardized test they take is the MAP.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No, and I would keep my kid out of school in protest for the duration of testing. I'm not a fan on wasting instructional time on standardized tests, but am okay if it's done once every few years with older kids. I think it's ridiculous for K.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS1 will be in kindergarten next year, and we are already planning on opting him out of pretty much all standardized tests. The district we're in currently has 14 tests a year for kindergarteners (that is not a typo!). The biggest one I can think of ri

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• No standardized tests don't start until 3rd grade.
  • I understand the thought behind this, and in theory sounds great. That being said in our state kids have to pass standardized tests in highschool to graduate there is no opting out. Just like with everything in life you get better as you practice. I sure
  • No, her school doesn't start standardized tests until 2nd grade.
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • imageCnAmom:
    imageAndrewsgal:</s
  • imageCnAmom:
    imageAndrewsgal:</stron
    DS1 - Feb 2008

• AG, I'm on my phone, but I can post a link to my district and the tests they want K thru 2 students to take each year later. We live in Chicago, and DS1 goes to the public school district. It is insanity here right now.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

• imageCnAmom:
    imageAndrewsgal:</s
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    imageCnAmom:
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We don't have standardized tests here until 3rd grade. I taught kinder before staying home and think standardized testing at that age is completely inappropriate. Teachers teach so much to the test these days and it takes away from true learning. Ds1 wil
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    eh depends on the test. Technically teachers should be doing running records on students every grading period. Tha
    DS1 - Feb 2008

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"