Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Eating their hands, hunger or entertainment?

So I know that in the beginning when they root, mess with their tounge or eat their hands that means they're hungry. However, now that he's 'found' his hands sometimes he eats them but doesn't seem hungry when I try to feed him. Does that mean at this point (7 almost 8wks) he's doing it for fun and not for hunger? 
Pregnancy Ticker Owner & Creator of www.GreatestKidsGames.com

Re: Eating their hands, hunger or entertainment?

• It could be an early sign of teething.  DS started chewing on his hands because I think he figured out that they're there but also because he's getting ready to start teething.  This all started between 8-10 weeks.

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Our DD does the samething and started at about the same time. I think it's part of them learning to self soothe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Now I wait and watch her when she eats her hands. Is she happy? Okay, go bout our business. Is she frustrated that there is no milk coming out of her hands? Time to nurse! But that's her cues. Your baby might be different. Just look for other clues
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • khazekhaze member

I used to always be able to tell when DS was hungry because he would eat his hands and his arms.  Now he just eats his hands and I think it's partially he's "found" his hands and they are something new to play with and he may be trying to find his

Declan 2.21.2013
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageSidraJedi:
    Now I wait and watch her when she eats her hands. Is she happy? Okay, go bout our business. Is she frustrated that
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Could just be the need to such. My LO does the same thing and m pediatrician said to try a pacifier, as that is an easier habit to break I'm the long run then ending up with a thumb sucker. 
  • DS always eats his hands, even right after he eats and I know he's full because he won't take anymore from the bottle. I think it's just something to do for him, because he's realized he's got them. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"