Parenting

De Quervain's - Physical Therapy?

I have De Quervain's for the last 3 months. (Baby is 4 months, and I'm pumping) I've started physical therapy about 3 weeks ago. Does anyone have experience with this and does physical therapy help? If it did, how long was the physical therapy? If not, did you end up with the cortisone shot? The physical therapy has helped a little, and I'm getting frustrated and wasn't sure if i should keep going, or just give up and go with the shots. Does anyone know if the pain will alleviated if I stop pumping? (I'm not breast feeding) Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

Re: De Quervain's - Physical Therapy?

• I had it in both hands. PT didn't help so I did the shot, which hurt for 24 hours and then helped. I got two rounds of shots and then did surgery in both hands because the pain kept returning.

The pain was horrific. I couldn't sleep. I

image image
  • Are you physically pumping or are you using a machine? If you using a hand-pump,that's probably aggravating your muscle tendons more and not helping the cause.

This is a neat article on DeQ :

<a style="font-size:10pt;" href="http:

• Loading the player...
  • I did PT for my DQ with my first kid.  I did 2x per week for 8 weeks (that was the max that insurance covered).  It did help but I wasn't "fixed" at the end.  But by then LO was about 7 months and I wasn't holding him nearly as much so I

image   image

• I had it with my first who was very big and I was BFing. I think what helped the most honestly, was her getting older and "helping" more when I was holding her and me just holding her less.  I also wore the braces I have for carpal tunnel some and I
  • I went to PT for about six months. It was amazing. All my research shows that it takes about a year to completely heal, no matter what you do. I was very anti injections because of the risks.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • imageRondackHiker:
    I had it in both hands. PT didn't help so I did the shot, which hurt for 24 hours and then helped. I got two rou
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageglinters:

imageRondackHiker:

image image
  • I am quite familiar with de Quervain, have a few strong opinions and have
  • imageneckandshoulders:
    I am quite familiar with de Quervain, have a few strong opinions and have had phenomenal success with a regime of

image image
  • Thank you! I just really wanted to know if PT will actually help. I'm just a little discouraged by the discomfort and being "broken." LOL. Your reply has given me hope and i will continue with PT instead of opting for the shot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"