Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Bloodwork for 12 month

So at DD's 12 month appointment, the nurse gave us a script for "routine" bloodwork.  I don't know why I thought this but I just assumed that they took blood differently for babies.  I just called the office this morning to ask them about it and they said they do it the normal way with a needle in the arm.  I am freaking out.  Has anyone done this yet?  How bad is it?

I've had blood taken before and although I don't like it, I've never had a tramatic experience.  My friend always comes out of there with black and blues on her arms because they can't find her veins and they always have to stick her like multiple times.  I really don't want to put DD through this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bloodwork for 12 month

• my experience was okay but still bad! no one wants to see their baby with a needle and blood! they told me to put him in my lap and hold down his legs and arms so he wouldn't move.  worse thing is how much he fought against me :( the needle is really
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It was not as bad as I thought it would be. I just tried to distract him, then I sang to him while they were doing it. He was a trooper.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DH took DS to his 12 month, and said DS was actually really good during his blood draw. They can't do it differently because they need multiple vials, otherwise, I'm sure it would be easier to do a heel prick. Just bring a favorite toy or book to help dis
  • Huh - we didn't have a 12 mo. blood draw.  Is this routine? Wonder if I should be on the lookout for his 15 mo. apt.
  • I was nervous too because DD is a drama queen and never does well with shots but she did SO WELL with the blood work! They used a teeny little pediatric needle and let her sit on my lap while it was being done and she didn't even notice.  It went muc
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo c15e5de6-d798-4a98-9644-9987af04720b_zpsa920caa6.jpg
  • it depends on the kid, we had to do a blood draw once on my 15 month old and it required basically swaddling him with an arm out while an orderly held him down (and this was in a childrens hospital where they are good with kids, he just doesnt like people
  • Bloodwork becomes routine between 12-18 months, depending on your pedi's schedule. The venipuncture is the only way they can get enough blood to run the types of tests they order.

It does suck, and it's hard to have to go through, but it's n

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• it was better than when he gets his ears checked at the dr. you have to hold LO down, but it took less than five minutes and he was fine after it was over. sometimes i think the fear of the unknown is worse than whatever is being done to them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagebrazzale:
    Huh - we didn't have a 12 mo. blood draw.  Is this routine? Wonder if I should be on the lookout for his 15 mo.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Ours was bad.  We went to the lady recommended by our ped.  They would not let me hold DD, it took me trying to comfort her, two people holding her down and the lady doing the draw.  DD tried to pull her arm away and they blew through her v
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • It might depend on the state. Some require lead checks at 12 mos.
  • imageLalaMama81:
    imageelainel
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • At DS's 12 month appointment, they just pricked his foot to get blood.  The nurse did it really quickly.  I think he cried more at her putting on the bandaid than anything!

• They pricked his finger and drew blood from that and he just sat there and didn't cry at all which amazed me. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageLeap08:

imagebrazzale:</

imageimage
  • I was on the I'm the only one going to hold my baby bandwagon until it dawned on me that I'm not trained to do medical procedures and these people are.  They don't want to give injections in mom's lap because it's not a sterile place and I'd rathe

• imageLalaMama81:
    imagecottonlily84:<
  • my cousin who is a nurse and also has a one year old suggested that i do it when i had doubts. She also said that they test for more than just iron levels. They also look at any viruses etc, it can pick up infection concerns, low platelets or any cancer c
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"