Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

If not an ear infection

My daughter (18 mos) has, aside from a couple minor colds, been very healthy.  No major issues, no ear infections, etc.  But the last few weeks she's been smacking her ears, later sticking her fingers in them.  But no fever, they're not red or hot, she doesn't act sick or anything.  Could she have fluid in her ears or something else if it's not an infection?  She's been doing this for awhile but couldn't sleep and unusually cried alot yesterday so I made her an appointment for this afternoon.  I just don't know what all I should ask the doctor because she's always been so healthy.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If not an ear infection

• The not sleeping/unusually fussy would make me think ear infection. Sometimes they present without a fever, and while they often are preceded by colds they aren't always (my girls had 11 between the two of them, and maybe 1 was preceded by cold). 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Has she had other ear infections this year? Last time I was in for a potential ear infection we talked through justification for or against tubes. We also talked through preventive things for ear problems feed as upright as possible, etc. At least respir
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • If it's not an ear infection, it could be from teething. I know sometimes my DD's ears hurt when she is pushing a tooth through. It's not an infection...just sort of the pain radiating up from the gums.

Best of luck at the doctor's

After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• imageFabulousMrs.P:

If it's not an ear infection, it could be from teething. I know sometimes my DD's ears hurt when she is pushing

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks so much for all the advice!  I'm so glad I decided to take her in now.  When I read online this morning they don't have have a fever with ear infection I felt like I should call.  She just doesn't fuss much at all so I can tell somet
  • DD just got over her first real cold.  I took her to the ped last week because she was sticking her fingers in her ears and screaming.  Turns out her ears were completely blocked shut with wax.  The ped cleared some of it out of the way (DD
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Thankfully, no infection and no fluid in her ears.  She only has allergies, and all the drainage and wax they saw is making her ears itch.  So they gave her a claritin rx.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"