May 2013 Moms

OB didn't tell me- low-lying placenta?

Hey guys, quick question on being informed I guess...

I switched to a midwife practice at 26 weeks. Before that I was seeing an OB that I wasn't in love with, but had no professional qualms about. Apparently, though, his office JUST faxed over the last of my chart/records to the midwifery clinic (I am 35 weeks), and there was some weirdness there.

My 18-week ultrasound shows a low-lying placenta. The tech didn't say anything. And my doctor NEVER brought this up to me. I understand that a low-lying placenta usually moves out of the way as the uterus expands, but my midwife explained to me that they (legally) need to do another ultrasound to confirm that it has indeed moved up. Why would my doctor not tell me this might be a concern?

I'm just kind of wondering if anyone has any experience with this or similar, and if it's weird that he didn't tell me. My only thought is that it was low-lying enough for the ultrasound tech to put it on my chart, but not low enough for the doc to think it was a true concern. But still, if my midwife is telling me it needs to be checked, why wouldn't I know about this before now? 

He melts me...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Calvin Francis
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: OB didn't tell me- low-lying placenta?

• Maybe the OB would simply have ordered another u/s later on to check, and didn't feel it was low enough to cause you concern telling you about it?

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• When they say low lying, are they always talking about placenta previa?  I am not sure, but I don't think so.  If it really is just a low lying placenta maybe it was just something to be monitored.  Either way, I prayers it doesn't cau
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesurpriseaddition:
    Maybe the OB would simply have ordered another u/s later on to check, and didn't feel it was low enough to cause
    He melts me...
    Calvin Francis
  • imagecaden1206:
    When they say low lying, are they always talking about placenta previa?nbsp;nbsp;I am not sure, but I don't think so.nbs
    He melts me...
    Calvin Francis
  • imagesurpriseaddition:
    Maybe the OB would simply have ordered another u/s later on to check, and didn't feel it was low enough to cause
  • I can tell you that I have a low lying placenta. It was low lying at 18 weeks and I was scheduled for another ultrasound at 28 weeks and it did not move at all. I am now scheduled for my third and final ultrasound at 34 weeks. This is when if it still has
  • imageJessicamiles00:
    I can tell you that I have a low lying placenta. It was low lying at 18 weeks and I was scheduled for another
    He melts me...
    Calvin Francis
  • I had this at 20 weeks and but it had moved up at my 32 week ultrasound. The issue generally does work itself out but I do think it strange that you had no idea about it. For a while, I was told to discontinue going to the gym, for example. Sounds like yo
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't know anything about the low lying placenta but I do understand not being thrilled with your birth professional.  I have a midwife and have had issues getting call backs and my concerns tend to be blown off making me really nervous.  But
  • This happened to me too! No one told me at my 18 week ultrasound, and it was covering the cervix! I didn't find out for weeks later. Mine has slowly moved off the cervix and is now low lying (1.5cm away from cervix). But I've still had complications being
  • imageSkutterby:
    This happened to me too! No one told me at my 18 week ultrasound, and it was covering the cervix! I didn't find out for
    He melts me...
    Calvin Francis
  • Mine was low lying and I've known about it but they said they typically don't worry because as everything stretches it will usually stretch away.  My mw's weren't concerned and told me we could still go vaginally as long as it wasn't covering. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 5/18/12. MMC @ 8 weeks. Measuring 6w5d. MC naturally 6/29/12. Forever loved.

2013-07-17 at 07.15.09
  • imageJessicamiles00:
    I can tell you that I have a low lying placenta. It was low lying at 18 weeks and I was scheduled for another
  • Glad to see you switched caregivers. We changed from one OB to another as the first one did not inform us that my miscarriage was going to be twins.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"