August 2012 Moms

fifths disease

So while I'm at the hospital for my moms surgery I had my husband take scarlet to the Dr. She got a rash yesterday and it hasn't went away yet. I wasn't too concerned because I figured it was an allergic reaction to something. Turns out its fifths disease, which is a viral infection where babies have headache, runny nose cough then a couple days later gets this rash over trunk of body and cheeks. It gives the cheeks a slapped appearance. Its contagious but by the time the rash is there, then they aren't contagious anymore.
Have any of you heard of this?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: fifths disease

• I've heard of it & a friend's son had it.  Sorry for your DD!  I somewhat feel your pain...  my 2-year-old just broke out in a rash all over his body in the last day.  The doctor thinks it is poison ivy/oak though.  He has an
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I had this when I was in second or third grade.  I still have a scar on my leg from it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah i've heard of it.  Super common for kids.  Anything rashy looks horrible though. 

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• When I first got pregnant, my OB said I needed to tell my school nurse right away that I was expecting because of fifths disease. Being a teacher gave me a greater risk of catching it. Potentially life threatening for a fetus, but common for kids. <br /
  • Yes!! I had a student who got it last year. I was not told. Once I found out, I googled and it can cause miscarriages. I was pissed at the school nurse for not telling me. I called my OB and had to get bloodworm and a U/S. That is when I found out I was h

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had it when I was a kid....

I remember putting my leotard for gymnastics and saw the rash all over.  Then I got it a few years after that as well.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageEmiPie:
    When I first got pregnant, my OB said I needed to tell my school nurse right away that I was expecting because of fifths di
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Joaquin got this when he was 4.  It was one of the worst cases my doctor had ever seen of it!  He was covered head to toe in the lacy rash and his cheeks were BRIGHT red.   It's super contagious, of course, so Avalin got it too, but

• Koa just got over roseola...which is the same thing or very similar. i took her to the doc for the fever and when i took her clothes off there i watched the rash develop. talk about timing.
    doc wasn't worried. no medication prescribed. it took a
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"