3rd Trimester

MIL Advice

I want to start this by saying that I am one of the lucky ones.  My MIL is a wonderfully supportive person and one of the strongest women I know. I am very excited to be able to give her the grandchild I know she has been waiting so long for. 

That being said, she visited recently (she lives 5 hours away), and I saw a side of her that I had never seen before.  My husband and I just moved into a bigger place, and had just finished dragging everything into our new home by the time she arrived.  We had boxes piled everywhere, appliances scattered in the kitchen, and clothes piled high in our bedroom.  My husband warned me that she might want to help us unpack when she visited, to which I said, "The more help we have, the better." Mistake. 

My MIL suddenly turned into an overbearing control/neat-freak.  When she asked where I wanted something, and I told her, it was put where she wanted it anyway.  (She and my husband nearly ended up in an all-out brawl over where to put the wine glasses.) She would move things that my husband and I had already placed. When it came time to prepare Easter dinner for her and my family, I was allowed no part in it.  Everything we owned was suddenly "disgusting." Apparently my husband was familiar with this side of her, but in our five years together I had never witnessed it.  I've always known she liked a tidy house, but I was unaware that this extended to my home too. I like things clean but lived in.  She does not.   While here, she insisted on buying the baby's crib, stroller, and car seat.  She would have purchased more if we had let her.  I'm pretty sure she wanted the baby's entire room set up and ready to go before she left.  Thank God for my husband who drew the line there.  This was all pretty shocking to me, because the last time she visited (over a year ago), she did none of this.

Now to the question: I originally wanted to ask her to stay with us for a week after our baby is born (due in June).  My own mother passed away two years ago, and while I'm comfortable with the idea of taking care of baby, I thought it would be nice to have someone around to help us with the other stuff in the beginning.  My concern is that this new side of her that I recently witnessed will extend to the baby.  She has already made it clear that I'm an inadequate housekeeper.  I can accept that.  But if it turns into me being an inadequate mother, then we have a problem.  I'm concerned that, even if we set those boundaries beforehand, they will be disregarded.  (They certainly were when it came to our home.)

Does anyone have experience in this department that can offer some advice? 

Re: MIL Advice

• Well my MIL is a complete PITA, so first off, I feel your pain

I would definitely do a "trial run" before inviting her to spend a week with you. After baby, I assume she'll come visit and maybe stay for a night or two? See how that goes before yo

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It will be nice to have the help. I would ask her to come down when DH goes back to work.
  • Loading the player...
  • jlpevjlpev member
    imagelisa5201:
    Well my MIL is a complete PITA, so first off, I feel your painI would definitely do a "trial run" before inviting her to
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I brought the subject up to DH after she left.  He was more frustrated with her than I was.  However, he has not given me a clear answer about how he feels about her staying with us once the baby is born.  He says that he wants to have a ta
  • I want to add that I understand that she is about to be a grandma for the first time, and she has every right to be excited.  I had relationships with all of my grandparents, and I know how important it is to a child.  I want her to enjoy being
  • It sounds like you have a supportive husband who has your back and is willing to stand up to her and talk to her. That makes a big difference. However, the first few weeks with the newborn baby at home are tough. Especially if you have trouble breastfeedi
    Best of luck! Veronica :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First I want to say...BE THANKFULL that this has been your only issue with your MIL in 5 years with your husband. Second Be EVEN MORE THANKFUL that your hubby has your back solid!! Some of us (ME) dont have either of those luxuries.

My MIL hates

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Sorry about your mom first off - I lost my mom many years ago and she never got to be a part of the major events of my life- graduation, college, marriage and kids.

Would finances allow you to have her stay in a hotel at night? I kno

• Houseguests and a newborn is a double-edged sword.  You welcome the help, but many guests have a different idea of what "help" is.  Clearly, your MIL didn't listen when you said to put the wine glasses somewhere, so I wouldn't expect her

• For the most part I consider my MIL to be a gem, and lucky that I have her over some of my friends MIL.

That being said, we used to live across country from MIL so I took her behavior in stride.  She used to come out and stay a week (where I

• During the first week or two I didn't even want my own mother in my house- and she's fantastic support. I really just needed that time with DH and DD to figure it all out. There's no way I'd consider hosting anybody in my home after giving birth. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Like others have suggested, a trial run is a good thought. Also, if you do invite her to stay for an extended period of time, you should totally do it when your home needs a good cleaning bc you and DH will be so busy with the LO. Sounds like she would de
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"