July 2013 Moms

SHARING BREAST MILK...??

Alright, SO... my brother & sister-in-law just had a baby girl the end of November. She is breastfed. I had a breast reduction when I was 15 and my boobs never "hurt" like most women describe, and they also never "dried up" as I have heard is painful too. I did not try to breastfed my #1 DS but have considered it this time around, at least giving it a try. BUT if it does not work... my sister-in-law called me today and asked me if I would ever want to use her milk that she has been pumping and putting in the freezer, (She is very cleanly and doesn't smoke or drink or any of that kind of stuff) She said she has over 2000 oz of milk in the freezer and if we would want it would prefer our son to have it, rather than her donating it. SO! My question is... what are you thoughts on using someone elses breast milk!? Also, I am not sure how my husband will feel about this either.. thoughts???

Re: SHARING BREAST MILK...??

• It is a very generous offer. If you aren't interested you could suggest she donate it to a BM bank for preemies/etc. I'm not sure if she would have needed to get tested or whatever prior to donation though.

If I couldn't nurse, and someone close

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I fed my son informallydonated breast milk until a bit after he turned a year old. He also got formula. I am going to try and find donor milk for this kid too. So yeah I'd do it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • If I knew and trusted the person...I'd probably use it. There were wet nurses back in the day.  I know that's a little different but...still.  If my sister offered, I would use it.  I know you said your SIL but if you trust her then why

• The thought of someone elses breast milk doesn't weird you out? I don't know how my husband will feel about it.. ?  
  • When I took my breast feeding class a few weeks ago, our lactation consultant said that the World Health Organization lists preferred feeding methods in this order:
    1. Mother's own milk
    2. Family/friend or local wet nurse's milk
    3. BM ba

• So why are you asking us and not your husband? I don't get it.
    ETA: my phone didn't quote burkel: "so the thought of someone else's breast milk doesn't weird you out? I don't know how he will feel about it..? "
  • Oh yeah, sometimes it totally would! But so does sticking a thermometer in my son's butt to dislodge poop you know? There are a lot of things that I've done as a parent that I find weird or distasteful. I do them when I think the benefit outweighs my s

• imageMagickalNarwhal:
    Oh yeah, sometimes it totally would! But so does sticking a thermometer in my son's butt to dislodge poop you know
  • It's not nearly as "weird" as you might think. Lots of people donate extra BM, if I was having supply issues and someone I knew very well offered their stock to me I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If for some reason I couldn't BF, I would jump at the chance to have donor BM.  

• imageburkel09:
    The thought of someone elses breast milk doesn't weird you out? I don't know how my husband will feel about it.

• If what you say about her is true, I'd take it from her in a heartbeat. Since I may have preemies, I've already asked a good friend if she'd be willing to give me some milk if I need it until mine comes in this time. 
    Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • eh, not my thing, if it doesn't work out for me, I would not get donor milk for personal reasons. Then again, I wouldn't judge anyone who would- it's just not my thing.

imageimage

• imageluvmyducks:

imageburkel0
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I think that it's a really generous offer as PP's have said. Breast milk is best for your baby, if I couldn't BF I would jump on the chance to give him breast milk over formula.

I don't think my DH would care at all, It's best for the baby.. Tha

• I think if you trust the source it's a good way to go...heck, cheaper than formula. You have to be careful of it going bad though. It only lasts so long even frozen. I know my coworker who has an overabundant supply donated a huge box to a service that pr
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• imageMagickalNarwhal:

Oh yeah, sometimes it totally would! But so does sticking a thermometer in my son's butt to dislodge poop you

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• If I know them and their habits then I would consider it. I would feel better if it was family like you describe or from a milk donation program where the applicants are screened.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• This is very true...very true! Thank you- good point!
  • I am asking because she just called me today and my husband is not home from work yet- and also wondering what other husbands thought about it, if it had ever been discussed
  • I truly appreciate all of the responses I have gotten. I am starting to think it would be a great opportunity & that yes the "weirdness" is outweighed by the health factors which is a good point as well. Thank you ladies very much! :):)
  • imageburkel09:
    I am asking because she just called me today and my husband is not home from work yet and also wondering what other husba
  • imagemaryannespier:
    imagencchnat
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Well yay, hope it works out! If it doesn't...tell her I would love to have it and will pay shipping costs :)

• I don't think it's weird,  but I would want to have some assurances that she's free of communicable diseases like TB, hepatitis, AIDS and other things that milk donors typically get screened for when they donate to a milk bank.  Also milk keeps

• No issue at all. Go for it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • I had an over supply frozen with my son and also donated on Eats on Feets and plan to again if I am able. The mons were so appreciative. My husband is weirded out by my breast milk so not sure he would accept donations but I would consider it. I am a big
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagencchnat:
    imageStardust225:<

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also had a reduction and plan on trying to breast feed. There is a really nice and helpful facebook group for BFAR and a lot of the women were able to exclusively breast feed their babies. Talk to a lactation consultant about BFAR as it's different.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd do it!  My SIL is an EPer and has been giving her nephew BM since December!  She's weaning her son in the next couple of weeks but what a great gift to give her nephew for the first 4.5 months of life.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagequeenbone:
    imagemaryannespi
  • imageluvmyducks:

imageburkel0

Age 35, H 34

Married 5/09

Pregnancy #1, IUI, MMC, D&C Feb 2012

Pregnancy #2,IUI, MMC, D&C July 2012

Pregnancy #3 IUI, BFP 10/25/12 - Two heartbeats on the U/S!

Twin Girls! C (6/24/13) and E (6/24/13-5/20/15)

Surprise BFP! 10/23/16, EDD 7/2/17

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"