Natural Birth

What if water breaks first?

My midwife says she wants me in the hospital within 6 hours of my water breaking if there are no contractions. I told that to my doula and she cringed and said that was so soon and she thought the midwives association recommended 24 hours. Does anyone have a reference to an official stance that I can bring to the table with my midwife or doula?

Re: What if water breaks first?

• I was wondering this too. I am delivering in hospital this time and I need to find out my OB's policy. I am worried she'll want me to come in asap if my water breaks and I'd like to labor at home as long as possible.
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• FWIW, my water broke with DD1 at 5 am and I didn't have any meaningful contractions for at least 6-7 hours (just light cramping).  I labored at home all day and got to hospital around 7pm at a 10 and she was born a few hours later.  I would just
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have a reference to give you, but I do have personal experience. My OB said the same thing as your midwife and I ended up on pitocin only 6 hours after my water ruptured. I really feel like it was unnecessary and going to the hospital

Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My MW said I could stay home for 12-24 hours after my water breaks (contractions or not), but after that, I should come in (especially if there are no contractions).

While I like what your doula thinks better than your MW, this is definitely some

• I have to deliver at a hospital with an OB - he is very aware of and supportive of my wish for a natural birth - but I have processed with him several times what my options are if my water breaks but contractions don't start (my doula also told me I sh

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My midwife said to go to the birth center within 24 hours of my water breaking if there are no other signs of progress. At my birth class the teacher said that most OBs tell you 6 hours.

But my doula said that I could consider waiting to call th

• imagelaurenann82:

But my doula said that I could consider waiting to call the midwife if my water breaks and nothing else is happen

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my first, the doctor on call when my water broke wanted me to come in sooner rather than later but put no time limit on me. My contractions started within 1.5 hours. 

With my second, my midwife wanted me to come in after 12 hours

• I was told that they usually leave you upto 24 hours. However, if waters break prior to labour starting then I was advised to contact MW for advice as they have a series of questions to ask.

They stressed that they do not want to go beyond

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My MW wanted me to begin labor within 24 hours of my water breaking. Good thing it wasn't baby out by 24h, because my contractions didn't start until 18h.

I didn't go to the birthing center for good (went in for monitoring and sent home three ti

TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• imageLolalipsy:
    I was told that they usually leave you upto 24 hours. However, if waters break prior to labour starting then I was

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• My MW actually told me that if my water breaks early again 35 to 36 weeks, that she would like to see it take 24 hours or more until baby is born. Lol.
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • My MW told me that if my water broke and I didn't have contractions, I could wait at home for 48 hours before needing to go to the hospital for intervention.
    ALLI & ERIK - 12.12.10
    Stella - 7.7.11 | Ian - 8.6.14 | Isaac- 7.20.18
    #4 due 4.22.23

• I am NOT a professional but that was my experience and I DEEPLY regret calling the OB.  (And I was at a VERY natural birth-centered practice, with midwives, scheduled to deliver at a birth center.)

My water broke at 5:45 am at 36w 2d. (You h

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"