VBAC
Options

Hospital Policy

On Friday, my OB explained that the hospital in which I will be delivering has a VBAC policy that suggests equires an epidural.  She says in the event an emergency c-section is needed they like it to already be placed.  I'm like, if it's REALLY an emergency c-section wouldn't you just put me under general?

My main motivator for avoiding the c-section was the spinal.  

I'm meeting with my closest ICAN chapter next month, but this just makes me MAD!!  I feel like it's "hospital policy" to just order us around and have births as THEY see fit.  

I don't have a choice in terms of hospitals.  This is it for me.  

Prudence
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Otis
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Hospital Policy

• Options
    Argh, that sucks! You have a right to refuse, of course. Do you have any idea how hard of a time you would be given if you just tell them no epidural?
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

imagenosoup4u:
    Argh, that sucks! You have a right to refuse, of course. Do you have any idea how hard of a time you would be given
    Prudence
    Otis
    Hank 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hm, since you'll have to travel 1.5 hours to get to the hospital, what are your laboring out of hospital options? Is there a local montrice service near the hospital? I would think that if you showed up really far along they can't push the epidural, right
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am a member of kaiser and they said the same thing. I honestly would rather the epidural. I vbac'ed on 4/3 and didn't get mine until I was 10...god works in mysterious ways. You can always wait it out. He didnt say what cm you have to get the epidural d
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

My mom and dad live 20 minutes tops from the hospital.  I was planning on heading that way in early labor.  I figured if things didn't progress too quickly I'd just hang out there.  

Yeah, the epidural is surely wonderful for relie

Prudence
    Otis
    Hank 

• Options

That stinks they are being so forceful about it. My hospital preferred me to have an epidural for my vbac for the same reason. I had my c/s under general anesthesia and I told myself that I never wanted that to happen again. So I was inclined to get an

DS1: August 2009 (emergency c/s, HELLP syndrome) DS2: September 2012 (VBAC)
  • Options
    skioskio member
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this. But I agree with you; in a true emergency, they'd probably just knock you out. I don't understand the 'policy' at all, and would totally feel like the hospital was pushing medicalizations on my birth. I think that would
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hopefully someone in your local ICAN group has experience with that hospital! You might be able to find someone who knows a doula who's worked there, too. I would think if you sign an AMA, it should be okay, and then staying home for awhile should help, t
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    So sorry your spinal was bad. I don't remember feeling any real pain from my injection. Was there an issue with dr?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"