Pre-School and Daycare

DS not ready for prek

Our preschool offers four years of instruction 2yr, 3yr, 4 yr and prek. The 2yr program is an intro to "school," and most kids do either the 3yr or 4 yr program depending on their birthday. The 3 and 4 year programs are similar, while the prek is truly a kindergarten prep class. DS1 did the 2yr program last year, then 3yr this year, and we were planning to enroll him in prek next year. His teacher stopped DH today at pickup and suggested we do the 4 yr class instead. She said he's just not ready for prek, because he really doesn't have the fine motor skills for coloring and writing or the letter recognition skills that he needs to move on to prek. She said we could reevaluate midyear to see if he has improved enough to switch to prek in January. I just have my doubts about switching him at the halfway point, because he'll miss half of a year of prek, which could be frustrating for him. I'm inclined to just plan that he'll do 4yr preschool next year and prek when he's 5. I hadn't planned on red shirting him for kindy, because I assumed he really had another year to get some of these skills down, but now I'm having my doubts. So I need some other perspectives. Do you think it would be a big deal to switch him to the prek class halfway through the year? Or should I just assume he has two more years before kindy unless he has a huge developmental jump in the next six months? Obviously, there's no decision to be made right now. I'm just looking for different perspectives on this.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DS not ready for prek

• If he truly isn't ready for prek this fall, I would be hesitant about proceeding with kindergarten in another year, even if he got half a year of prek.

I don't know what state you live in, but one thing to think about is if your prek is covered

Hawaii
  • Hi! Lurker from school-aged kids here!

I went through a similar decision with my son in preschool.  I think if the school says to enroll him in 4s and possibly switch him mid-year, then you do that.  I would not be surprised if they des

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • When is your child'd birthday and what kind of preschool is this? Private, public, "day care" based...? What have you observed at home...?

• MKDeeMKDee member
    imageSpin313:
    When is your child'd birthday and what kind of preschool is this? Private, public, "day care" based...? What have you ob
  • MKDeeMKDee member
    Oh, and it's a separate preschool programs offered by our daycare. "School" activities are offered in a separate room from the free play and imaginative play areas. The preschool is academicallyfocused, and the kids do playbased activities in the daycar
  • imageMKDee:
    imageSpin313:</

• If it was my child, I wouldn't switch them 1/2 way through.  I would just let them have another whole year of 4 year then move on from that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSpin313:
    imageMKDee:</st
  • imagefredalina:
    Homestly I think 4 years of preschool is insane outside of a daycare situation. Ok not "insane" but unnecessary. Yo
  • imagefredalina:
    Homestly I think 4 years of preschool is insane outside of a daycare situation. Ok not "insane" but unnecessary. Yo
    Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • imageryry1977:
    If it was my child, I wouldn't switch them 1/2 way through.  I would just let them have another whole year of 4
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They do not want to swith him midyear but I bet they want your money for four years. You know your kid and need to make your own decisions. I am automatically annoyed by a school that has a fours class to be followed by a preK class. Isn't preK supposed t
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • imageMKDee:
    imageSpin313:</st
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imageoutnumbered:

imagefredal
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imageMKDee:
    imageSpin313:</st
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am in a similar position.  My kids are in MWF 9-12 preschool (4s class) now.  Their teachers recommended that we enroll in PreK 5 for next year and then start kindergarten about a month after they turn 6.

I guess that way I look at it

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"