Baby Names

Misspelled last names...

If you saw someone with the last name of, for example, Smithe, and it was pronounced like the common last name of Smith, would you side-eye? I know a girl whose last name is a girl's first name, but it's spelled wrong. It bugs me, but I'm not obviously going to be saying anything about it. I mean, I know that last names usually aren't changed to be spelled "correctly".

What are your thoughts on this subject? 

ETA: I don't think I'm side eyeing it as much as I just am annoyed by something so obvious. I also am not talking about names that are hard to pronounce. I'm talking like Hailey is a girl's first name. I've seen the last name of Hailly, and it just bothers me to no end. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Misspelled last names...

• People don't choose their last names so i'm not sure what you're side-eyeing.  My married name is not spelled the way it's pronounced but that doesn't mean it's spelled wrong.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBeachBabe22:
    People don't choose their last names so i'm not sure what you're side-eyeing.  My married name is not spelle

• Loading the player...
  • No.

Last names were often changed because people immigrated and didn't know how to spell it or someone else misspelled it for them and it stuck. It's not like people said "oh I think this would be sooo cute with a y".

Both my maiden name a

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageBeachBabe22:
    People don't choose their last names so i'm not sure what you're side-eyeing.  My married name is not spelle
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • imageChristyML:

ETA: I don't think I'm side eyeing it as much as I just am annoyed by something so obvious. I also am not talking a

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageBeachBabe22:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageELauren88:

imageBeachBab
  • It doesn't "bother" me.  The same as pps have said:  There are all sorts of reasons last names are spelled like they are and most aren't really "incorrect."  My family dropped the "s" from the end of our last name a couple hundred years ago
  • imageZimger:

No.

Last names were often changed because people immigrated and didn't know how to spell it or someone else mis

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • My married name was Sen.ic like Cynic. It was changed when my ex's grandparents' came to America because the Welsh spelling was unrecognizable here. I'm not sure why you would side eye a last name. They aren't chosen!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• This makes no sense to me.  Doesn't Smithe = Smith the way shoppe = shop?

I do think it's interesting when people don't pronounce their last names the way it would be based on heritage.  For instance, Cabot pronounced like Cabbott inste

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Um, no. I have a friend with the last name Martinick (MAR-tin-ick). Her great-grandfather and his 3 brothers immigrated to the US. Their original last name was Martinich. (Mar-TEE-nych). All 4 of them had their last name recorded differently. 

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • imagemsmerymac:

Um, no. I have a friend with the last name Martinick (MAR-tin-ick). Her great-grandfather and his 3 brothers imm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"